A chronology of school pupil walkouts which I have been able to discover in the UK from the 19th century to today.
- October 1889: Thousands of children across England and Scotland walk out in a wave of strikes which sweep the UK against corporal punishment and excessive workloads.
- September 1911: A further wave of pupil walkouts spreads across the UK and Ireland as thousands of children in at least 62 towns and cities take to the streets for shorter hours and no corporal punishment.
- 1 April 1914-1939: Nearly all pupils at the Burston school in Norfolk, England walk out when their socialist teachers were sacked and instead set up rival school funded by workers' movement.
- 1914: Wave of pupil strikes.1
- 1929: Wave of pupil strikes.2
- 1938: Wave of pupil strikes.3
- 27 May 1971: 800 pupils at a school in Stepney, east London, walk out and win reinstatement of a teacher sacked for publishing a book of pupils' poetry.
- 25 April 1985: 250,000 school students across the UK strike against YTS workfare program.
- Thousands of children across the UK leave classes and take to the streets to protest against the invasion of Iraq that day.
- October-November 2010: Over 100,000 schoolchildren join with university students in walking out of classes and marching against government cuts to education.
- June 2015: Around 50 pupils walk out (although it is unclear how long for) at Crown Woods College, south-east London against proposals to become an academy school.4
If you are aware of any more please let me know in the comments below so I can add them in (or edit them in directly if you are an editor: but please make sure you have a credible source).
- 1. Source: When the class war reached the classrooms - Clive Bloom - retrieved on 20/10/2015
- 2. Source: When the class war reached the classrooms - Clive Bloom - retrieved on 20/10/2015
- 3. Source: When the class war reached the classrooms - Clive Bloom - retrieved on 20/10/2015
- 4. Sources: Pupils plan strike to stop London school being turned into an academy - retrieved on 19/10/2015, School students strike against academy plan at Crown Woods College in Eltham - retrieved on 20/10/2015.