What was the last film you watched? v3

1101 posts / 0 new
Last post
Agent not available
Aug 19 2013 00:13
Ethos wrote:
Agent of the Fifth International wrote:
Its a rental service? I thought you went to the theaters.

Yeah, it's a kiosk where you rent movies. I ain't paying $10+ to see some state propaganda. I get my state propaganda the ol' fashioned way: by getting it hammered into me at school.

My household spends almost two hundred bucks for Verizon triple play and its mostly garbage. We only have Showtime and The Movie Channel as our premium channels for movies, and their some of the worst forms of state propaganda. Occasionally their service has a glitch that allows you to access all of the other channel premiums and watch how many movies you want. So I take advantage of that when the opportunity comes.

wojtek
Aug 21 2013 23:16

Got a crush on Owen Wilson atm so Drillbit Taylor, Shangai Noon and Midnight in Paris (all hilarious!) Anyone see either This Is The End or Anchorman 2? The first has THE BEST CAST EVAR!

puja167
Aug 22 2013 11:58

i watch Chennai express.

Agent not available
Aug 31 2013 13:27

I saw Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing. I found it to be racist and pointless. The filmmaker tries to address "race struggle", but reproduces stereotypes that are not really helpful for whatever he's trying to prove.

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Aug 31 2013 14:40

The Wave. Thought it was cack. Only managed to get about half way through it.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Aug 31 2013 15:37

ELYSIUM, brilliant. They didnt quite 'organise the space workers' though.

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Aug 31 2013 16:08
Choccy wrote:

Alex Jones is apoplectic about it. Jones at his most blatently racist and right wing likening it to 'Birth of a Nation'

Agent not available
Aug 31 2013 16:37
Mr. Jolly wrote:
Choccy wrote:

Alex Jones is apoplectic about it. Jones at his most blatently racist and right wing likening it to 'Birth of a Nation'

I could only make it into two minutes.

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Aug 31 2013 17:04

fair enough.

bastarx
Sep 8 2013 06:27
Choccy wrote:

One of the best big budget Hollywood action movies I've seen in recent years but only because the others of that genre are usually so pathetic.

Why can't the police robots be made by other robots? The new Total Recall had its hero work in cop robot factory as well BTW.

I get that the bourgeoisie want to physically separate themselves from the (lumpen-)proletariat, they already do that now but they're capitalists for fucksake so there's no reason access to their magical medbeds wouldn't be restricted by money rather than citizenship.

I guess I liked it but I'm disappointed because it could have been a much better film. Even if only by calling the hero Max Hoelz instead of Max Da Costa.

omen
Sep 8 2013 19:52

The Kings of Summer. Good film, well made, and funny too.

bastarx
Sep 8 2013 23:44
bastarx wrote:
Choccy wrote:

One of the best big budget Hollywood action movies I've seen in recent years but only because the others of that genre are usually so pathetic.

Why can't the police robots be made by other robots? The new Total Recall had its hero work in cop robot factory as well BTW.

I get that the bourgeoisie want to physically separate themselves from the (lumpen-)proletariat, they already do that now but they're capitalists for fucksake so there's no reason access to their magical medbeds wouldn't be restricted by money rather than citizenship.

I guess I liked it but I'm disappointed because it could have been a much better film. Even if only by calling the hero Max Hoelz instead of Max Da Costa.

Also the jerky handheld camera work is soooo annoying.

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Sep 10 2013 10:39

A Field In England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRvzjkzu2U

I rarely go to the pictures, but went to see this a couple of months back.

It's hard to explain this film, just because it combines so many different elements. It's basically a monochrome, psychedelic, mystic, historical drama set in the English Civil War. Both the writing, and the direction is really gritty, visceral and surreal, but I felt the visual aesthetics completely overpowered the writing, so the plot was lost on a few occasions. Saying that, the visuals actually made me come back to it, and want to understand it a bit more. I very rarely watch a film so soon after I've seen it the first time. It's really stripped-down - five characters in a field - but bombastic. I'd say it was like a mix between F.J. Ossang's work and Un Chien Andalou. Bit of Brecht in there too. Really uncomfortable to watch, but immersive.

Great cast too. In particular, Michael Smiley (Tyres in Spaced), and Reece Shearsmith (League of Gentleman), are amazing.

Apparently it was released on DVD, cinema and on television at the same time. I'd be interested to know how that worked out.

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Sep 10 2013 12:08
Standfield wrote:
A Field In England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRvzjkzu2U

I rarely go to the pictures, but went to see this a couple of months back.

It's hard to explain this film, just because it combines so many different elements. It's basically a monochrome, psychedelic, mystic, historical drama set in the English Civil War. Both the writing, and the direction is really gritty, visceral and surreal, but I felt the visual aesthetics completely overpowered the writing, so the plot was lost on a few occasions. Saying that, the visuals actually made me come back to it, and want to understand it a bit more. I very rarely watch a film so soon after I've seen it the first time. It's really stripped-down - five characters in a field - but bombastic. I'd say it was like a mix between F.J. Ossang's work and Un Chien Andalou. Bit of Brecht in there too. Really uncomfortable to watch, but immersive.

Great cast too. In particular, Michael Smiley (Tyres in Spaced), and Reece Shearsmith (League of Gentleman), are amazing.

Apparently it was released on DVD, cinema and on television at the same time. I'd be interested to know how that worked out.

Had little discernible plot and gave me a headache. But visually stunning and liked the bawdy dialogue.

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Sep 10 2013 14:29
Mr. Jolly wrote:
Had little discernible plot and gave me a headache. But visually stunning and liked the bawdy dialogue.

Yeah, I think that's fair. Thinking about it, I'm kind of leaning towards the idea that there actually isn't supposed to be much of a plot, in the sense of a narrative I mean. The visuals and odd sense of time (quick-cuts, slow-motion, dead coming back to life, scenes coming back to the start) make it quite nauseating. There is also a lot of anti-illusionism going on (character glance at the camera, the song interlude). It's all a bit post-dramatic.

I found this interesting:

Quote:

And you use that period as the basis for what is basically a trip movie. What made you want to combine the two things?

BW: Just reading about it. We read about the magic men going about blowing ground-up mushroom dust into people's faces and people having experiences. That was really interesting. And we read about mushroom circles and how they were considered to be portals to fairy worlds and how if you went through one it was very difficult to escape. How time moves at different speeds either side of the mushroom circle and that you need four men and a rope to pull you out...

Oh, that's where that bit came from!

BW: It just jumps off the page. You're going “Fuck! That's brilliant!” But also on a very basic level we wanted to make a midnight movie. Those kind of movies that haven't been made for donkeys years, like Eraserhead, where you end up going, “This is wilfully strange”. It's a trip movie, basically. In the same way that people flogged 2001 as one. It's a sensory experience as much as it is a story. That was important.

http://thequietus.com/articles/12754-a-field-in-england-ben-wheatley-interview

wojtek
Sep 21 2013 18:26

http://vimeo.com/50467975

trumps hangover everytime.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Sep 28 2013 23:25

A Clockwork Orange

This is absolutely the worst film I have ever seen. I wanted to switch off after 5 minutes but watched it all the way through with a sort of fascinated horror as time after time it missed the point by about fifty million fucking miles. Mr Kubric displayed a determination to go for a sensationalist approach which rendered the story as a barely noticeable side issue. The humour of the book was totally AWOL as was Alex's endearing qualities that amazingly make you love him in spite of all of his diabolical attitudes and actions.
I know that it's hard for films to tell a story in the same way as a book but besides getting EVERYTHING wrong, it missed the whole third section out completely. A third of the book which of course includes the conclusion!
There was a 1984 tv series in the fifties called Big Brother is Watching You which ended with Winston and Julia up against a wall shouting 'down with Big Brother' as they were shot. Well, every frame of this hideous pile of shit missed the point like this but times a trillion.
Aaaaagghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from the all that it wasn't too bad!

Agent not available
Sep 28 2013 23:49

Coincidentally, I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey by Kubrick. It was alright. A lot of the scenes tend drag a bit overlong.

I saw Hidden Agenda by Ken Loach, which was extremely dialogue driven. It seems to be the only way the director knows how to express his politics, by creating characters who share his outlook.

I also saw: Skyfall, Zero Dark Thirty, Ted and Argo. I was unsurprisingly unimpressed by these latter four titles.

wojtek
Oct 9 2013 19:49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03c56rw/Kevin_Bridges_The_Story_Continues/

Cheered me right up!

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Jan 11 2014 06:09

Watched The Wolf of Wall Street. Must see movie! Pretty stark look at the behind the scenes world of finance capital.

Torrent it here, http://kickass.to/the-wolf-of-wall-street-2013-dvdscr-xvid-bida-t8524359.html

Tyrion's picture
Tyrion
Jan 11 2014 10:19

Coincidentally, Soapy, I just watched it yesterday from that same torrent. Great movie. I also recently watched The Act of Killing, a documentary about some former death squad members in Indonesia who were active during Suharto's coup. Very surreal film, one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Jan 11 2014 12:41

Soapy and Tyrion - thanks for the links, really like to see both of them, but they don't seem to be working for me. I can't seem to access any of the torrent sites as a matter of fact. Something to do with my settings?

This week, I aav been mostly watching...

Das Leben der Anderen/The Lives of Others - German film, situated in 1984, Berlin. About a Stasi agent getting more and more involved in the lives of a writer and actress whom he is spying on. Good film, I enjoyed it.

Capricorn One - Sci Fi from 1978, about a Mars landing hoax. I really enjoyed it, though I found the ending a bit disappointing.

Tout va Bien - Godard film from 1972. About a fictional strike in a sausage factory in 1968 France. Employs Brechtian techniques that I've never encountered in film before. For example, there's one monologue directed at the camera from a CGT shop steward - in character - though reading directly off the script. I enjoyed it a lot, would watch it again.

Ghost In The Shell 1995, and Innocence, 2004. Like most Manga films, I can't really explain what's going on. Would watch them again to take it all in. Loved the first one, though wasn't to fussed with the second one. I didn't really like the use of 3D computerized animation in the sequel, but I've been told by my brother my computer is shit, and I should see it on a proper screen. So there.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Jan 11 2014 17:38

Downloaded Tout va Bien, excited to see it.

As for the link, what exactly is going wrong?

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Jan 11 2014 18:44

It says, "error - site blocked". Does the same for most other sites. I've managed to start downloading The Act of Killing though from another site. Should be ready to watch in a couple of weeks, haha.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Jan 11 2014 18:47
Tyrion wrote:
The Act of Killing[/url], a documentary about some former death squad members in Indonesia who were active during Suharto's coup. Very surreal film, one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

I certainly adds credibility to Marx view of the lumpen proletariat sad

Pretty shocking film, but I can't make my mind up what I think about the way its been done.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Jan 11 2014 18:47

Hmmm...maybe that website is blocked in the UK?

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Jan 11 2014 19:06

Yeah I think that maybe the case. All those sites worked when I was in Australia for a bit. Not to worry, I'll just do a bit of browsing. Cheers

Spikymike
Jan 11 2014 19:31

I watched a short very funny satirical/political critique by way of subtitles of 'Marxism-Leninism-Maoism' set against a Chinese Martial Arts type background film called 'Can Dialectics Break Bricks' and an interesting Bertoldt Brecht black and white anti-war theatrical film showing at the 'Art Moving Left' Exhibition at Liverpool Tate - not the most enlightening exhibition from my political point of view but these two old films were good. Others might have come across these before?

AES's picture
AES
Jan 11 2014 19:31

(2012) The Act of Killing [Joshua Oppenheimer]
Try internet search - hash: 4DEBF831AD338F7EFDD3D84C6D85A07C8AE1A584

To avoid getting blocked try https://immunicity.org/getstarted which would probably allow you to see websites you're restricted from.

Also to protect you from snoopers try www.peerblock.com

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Jan 11 2014 22:11

Spikeymike - Can Dialectics Break Bricks is here in full on youtube. A Situationist film, bizarre and funny, yeah. I seem to recall it mentioning anarcho-syndicalism a few times, though it could be just be my brain playing tricks again. Was a while baack when I saw it. Don't suppose you remember the name of the Brecht work?

AES - cheers for that info!