Black Rose on the massacre in Suruç

Black Rose on the massacre in Suruç

Black Rose Anarchist Federation Statement on the Massacre in Suruç.

Today we mourn the loss of friends and comrades and renewing our commitment to an international revolutionary struggle in their memory.

At noon, in the border town of Suruç in Turkish Kurdistan, a bomb ripped through the bodies of communists, socialists, and anarchists who were on their way to assist in the rebuilding of Kobane. Tens of people were killed, many more injured. One Black Rose member was present assisting in preparations for a campaign to support the rebuilding of Kobane and Rojava, but was uninjured in the blast.

A half an hour after the bombing, the city of Suruc shook once more as a second massive bomb hit the border in Kobane. News reports indicate that this was a car bomb attack that was stopped by self-defense forces which minimized causalties.

The trip to Kobane was organized by the Marxist-Leninist organization Sosyalist Gençlik Dernekleri Federasyonunun (SGDF). They brought together youth–entire families–from across Turkey and beyond to give revolutionary support to the developing social revolution in Syrian Kurdistan. Up to 300 people were preparing to cross the embargoed border to help rebuild the city, learn about its political developments, and link the struggles of the Turkish left with the Kurdish movement.

After the bombing, the first to respond was armored military vehicles of the occupying Turkish state that rolled down the street in front of the Amara Cultural Center to block the street and point their guns at the recently injured and trauma-ridden revolutionaries. It took ambulances so long to arrive on the scene that private cars had to be organized to take the injured to the hospital. The military and police were on the scene in minutes, managing to form a line of riot police before the first ambulances arrived. Their alertness should come as no surprise since they had been actively harassing the bus loads of revolutionaries coming to Suruc that morning, monitoring many of them, and had made calls to their families telling them that their young relative was going to join terrorists in Rojava.

This demonstrates the attitude of the state and is indicative of a sad reality: Turkey is continuing its murderous policy towards the Kurds and this attack can be seen as a fulfillment of Erdogan’s promise to stop Rojava by any means necessary. In the coming months, Black Rose will continue to broaden the scope in organizing committees and networks in solidarity with Rojava. We hope for your support.

Biji Rojava! Rojava Lives!

-BR/RN International Secratary

Black Rose Anarchist Federation

Español: DECLARACIÓN SOBRE EL RECIENTE MASACRE EN SURUC, TURKIA

Comments

noclass
Jul 22 2015 13:26

It was a bad idea to send 300 young people to a battle zone. Marxist-Leninism is also a bad social idea. Marxism-Leninism could escape criticism hundred years ago, today it cannot. The best Marxist-Leninism can offer is state capitalism.

Chilli Sauce
Jul 22 2015 14:46

Noclass, no one here like Leninism, but that seems like an odd response, I'll be honest. I mean, 30 people died and whatever we may think of their politics, the people who killed them would have just as happily killed us.

Khawaga
Jul 22 2015 14:54

What the fuck, noclass? I guess empathy is off the table for anarchists then?

Flint
Jul 22 2015 15:59
Chilli Sauce wrote:
the people who killed them would have just as happily killed us.

Daesh doesn't care what kind of communist you are.

noclass
Jul 22 2015 19:07

Sorry, I cannot accept your criticism. Marxist-Leninists, just like other capitalists, have been too wrong and too criminal after establishment of Soviet Union. I would write the same comment if libertarian communists do the same foolish thing. But usually, careless actions, looking at supporters as abstract labor power, is the job of capitalists or "state communist" (state capitalist) bosses in hierarchical organizations. The area that they have been sent, is one of the most dangerous zones in the world.

Flint
Jul 22 2015 19:53

What percentage of the world's population lacks the correct communist line and thus are undeserving of sympathy if they get murdered?

Juan Conatz
Jul 22 2015 19:56

I was wondering when some of the loonier far left Kurdish skeptics was going to turn into borderline celebration of leftist deaths...

Chilli Sauce
Jul 22 2015 20:06

I don't know, noclass, this just doesn't seem the kind of situation to be scoring political points off the back off.

Start a thread on how bullshit Leninism is or restart any of the probably hundreds that are on the site already, but I think this is one where expressing solidarity and sympathy for the rank-and-file of Leninist organisation (I imagine most of the killed were activists, not the party hierarchy) is the most human reaction.

Fleur
Jul 22 2015 20:11

Noclass

Have you no empathy or compassion? They were young people and they were comrades who were blown up in a politically motivated attack. Does it matter that some of them didn't sit in the same part of communism as we do? Some of them did, there are anarchists amongst the dead, anarchists who clearly wanted to co-operate and work with other communists. How ideologically pure do you have to be to deserve a little sympathy. Have some respect.

Noclass. A very appropriate choice of username.

syndicalist
Jul 22 2015 23:06

I'm away on family vaca. Sorry to
Hear about this tragedy .... No empathy for MLism
Sadness for the killed and wounded. Solidarity against all states and states in waiting

noclass
Jul 22 2015 23:57

Since the article does not tell me Marxist-Leninism is a reactionary ideology, then politically, sympathy for those victims are used for supporting that ideology. It is like war situation. You have to criticize states and generals. This does not mean you do not care about boys and girls who die in the war they are in. On the contrary, you do, this is why you don't buy "support troops", though you know one of those solders is your son or daughter. I don't want my sympathy for humanity be used (abused) to support Marxist-Leninism.

Now read this from the article:

"The trip to Kobane was organized by the Marxist-Leninist organization Sosyalist Gençlik Dernekleri Federasyonunun (SGDF). They brought together youth–entire families–from across Turkey and beyond to give revolutionary support to the developing social revolution in Syrian Kurdistan."

I wouldn't say what I said if the article didn't mention the Marxist-Leninist organization.

I don not consider Marxist-Leninists as revolutionaries, they would be considered revolutionaries before 1917. We know what Bolsheviks has done now specially Stalin who formulated Leninism.

Shiites organizations in Iran send pilgrims to holy cities in Iraq, though they know they could be victims of bomb attack. If I criticize those organization for what they do, they tell me I have no sympathy and compassion for ordinary people.

How ideologically pure do you have to be to deserve a little sympathy.

You don't have to have ideology to deserve sympathy. You just don't get what I said because you have sympathy for Marxist-Leninism.

Khawaga
Jul 23 2015 00:05

Fuck off noclass, you cretin.

Fleur
Jul 23 2015 00:10
You just don't get what I said because you have sympathy for Marxist-Leninism.

I don't have any sympathy for Marxist-Leninism, you simplistic idiot. I have sympathy for young people being blown apart by a suicide bomber. There's a time and place for critiquing Leninism, over the freshly killed bodies of young people isn't it. It just makes you come across as a heartless shit.

Chilli Sauce
Jul 23 2015 00:12

Yeah, noclass, you're really missing the point here.

radicalgraffiti
Jul 23 2015 00:38
noclass wrote:

this is fucking libcom, everyone here knows marx leninism is reactionarly, you stupid cunt, you dont state the fucking basics in every fucking article. Articles dont stand on ther own, they are part of a wider body of work, and in this case the nature of marx lenism is NOT THE MAIN POINT

noclass
Jul 23 2015 18:14

Reactionary means abusing people. When people are abused, you condemn those who abuse them. It does not at all mean those who condemn have no sympathy for victims. You cannot say organization x is reactionary but is not abusing people. This is inconsistency.

Have tolerance. I said what I believed. I didn't insult anybody. I showed clearly that I have empathy and compassion and this is why I criticized sending those young people to battle zone. I even explained that I have sympathy for religious people who are victims of religious organizations. So you see it doesn't do anything with ideology.

Perhaps one day you will understand what I mean and may be one day I will understand what you mean.

You can continue insulting me, since you have not presented any reason or argument, I do not see any reason to read your insult anymore. And I don't think you have any chance for changing the world as long as you behave like those who abuse you.

Bye!

Chilli Sauce
Jul 23 2015 01:16

You may not have insulted anyone, but you've been pretty damn insulting.

Khawaga
Jul 23 2015 01:35

So people didn't choose to go? They were all ordered to go? You really have no clue how these things work do you?

fidel gastro
Jul 23 2015 11:03

@noclass Not only have you responded in a callous way to this news but you seem stupidly unaware that many a traveller comes to anarchism through such things as Marxist-Leninism- disgusting. And that those that were maimed and killed could well have been sympathetic to anarchism and could well have been future anarchists/libertarians.

ocelot
Jul 23 2015 15:27

Again, for the record, given that, although Flint has already mentioned it, a lot of the people (rightly) expressing their disgust at noclass's ubersectarian mentallness,[*] the young people targeted by this bomb were leftists from across the left political spectrum - including anarchists, social-democrats, various flavours of bolsheviks, members of a range of electoral parties and none.

The only thing that united them was their desire to lend their labour in the non-military work of clearing rubble and reconstructing Kobane, and learning more about the realities of what is happening on the ground there - a desire for more immediate knowledge that most participants in the debates here, whether supportive or sceptical have continually expressed. I also know at least one anarchist who posts on these forums who was there (but is thankfully unharmed, to the best of my knowledge).

noclass - your concepts of "objective support" etc, are remarkably Stalinist in their "guilt-by-association" logic. You should get out more. And maybe even trade in dogmatism for some genuine politics one of these days..

* edit: [appear to have missed this]

kurekmurek
Jul 23 2015 12:56

Well I guess the anarchist ocelot is talking about is me. And I am fine and uninjured (unlike some of the comrades whom I met there). Although I -kind of - feel ashamed to write these but :

1) If the only the deaths of anti-state anti-capitalists count as important there were one 20 age old anarchist from Eskisehir who was killed (also two other anarchists are injured, hopefully they are recovering now.) ( However I think this is a terrible way to approach this event)
2) The place the bombing happened was a cultural center connected to municipality and it was in Suruc, Turkey. It was not a war-zone at all . It was in the city center and it was a totally civilian zone (like us) (and if you exclude the fortress like buildings of Turkish Military). There were no plans to go to a war-zone.
3) So consequently the bombing was just to make afraid people who want to show solidarity to Rojava from Turkey or wider global community by way of attacking without provocation to unaware civilians. It was aimed to cut the ties of Kurdish movement from global comunity by giving the message of "if you come here, you will be murdered".
4) It was not a "leninist" dominated trip at all. There were no restrictions by sgdf. For example, I was wishing to write a report on libcom about the actual organisation of Rojava and the state (or the lack) of revolutionary transformation in the economical, social and political fields. I am sure there were many people who were going there with similar aims (to make documentaries, write other stuff, produce knowledge in general...) There were many people just joined to trip with their own will, not because of ideology of sgdf, but because they find this trip important and resourceful for further learning and maybe experimentation.

However of course many of these people are not with us any more unfortunately. Also my plans for writing a report is no more now. However I might write some stuff on my previous journey in the Kurdistan and my observations from there. Though it will need some time.

Solidarity

Chilli Sauce
Jul 23 2015 13:28

Wait, shit, kurrem, you were there? Fullest solidarity, man, glad to hear you're alright.

Spikymike
Jul 23 2015 13:32

As kurrem.. corrects this incident was not in ' a war zone' and explains better to noclass that these people were not in general at least 'sent there' somehow 'under orders' as it were by some stalinist style military command. What propaganda the SGDF was making in the promotion of the trip or what it might subsequently make I've no idea and I doubt that noclass does either, so any criticism on that score would need some evidence and would be best placed elsewhere than here and now. Still people should not be throwing insults at noclass for their initially misplaced ideological comments.

kurekmurek
Jul 23 2015 13:38

Thanks, I am fine Chilli. I am just resting a bit for now (to process and make sense of all that happened). Solidarity.

Khawaga
Jul 23 2015 15:00

Fuck that. S/he deserves all the insults for such callous ideological statements that are completely devoid of any critical thinking. Trying to score points off such a tragedy is fucking low.

Flint
Jul 23 2015 18:59

(delete)

Entdinglichung
Jul 24 2015 08:09

an injury to one is an injury to all!

mikail firtinaci
Jul 24 2015 09:09

I am glad that you are fine Kurremkarmerruk. My condolences for the comrades and friends you lost.

kurekmurek
Jul 24 2015 10:42

Thanks everyone who has expressed or will express their feelings. I wish everyone was lucky as I was. Anyway I should stop posting "thanks" comments. So a big last thanks from me to everyone. Solidarity.