A short update on opposition to privatisation at the University of Sussex.
- More demonstrations. Tuesday's demonstration happened despite Unison emailing its members saying the demo was cancelled.
- University Vice-Chancellor Michael Farthing bullshitted his way through open staff meetings (reports from staff: 1, 2). A student was physically removed by Head of Security Roger Morgan. Outside contractors were used for security, which suggests management know they've lost the trust of the in-house security staff they're outsourcing.
- Farthing did however admit that outsourcing and privatisation is about "agility and flexibility", i.e. casualisation of terms and conditons. Confirmed from the horse's mouth.
- Sussex Workers have set up a blog and twitter account for information and discussion on stopping the privatisation plans. There is also the existing facebook group.
- Sussex House workers reportedly refused to remove a banner reading 'an injury to one is an injury to all' which students had hung from the roof, so management had to call in outside contractors.
Originally posted on the Education Workers Network site.