Academic journal articles

Submitted by R Totale on July 21, 2020

I have no idea how the law around copyright and academic journal articles works, I get that academic publishers are fairly ferocious around enforcing it though... does anyone know whether, since there's a freely-available PDF of "Anarchist Direct Actions: A Challenge for Law Enforcement" with no obvious copyright notice up at the University of South Florida site here, it'd be OK to duplicate that PDF here, or would that not be allowed? Anyway, the article's worth a read if you want to see a reasonably-intelligent cop's-eye perspective on the anarchist movement.

Khawaga

3 years 8 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Khawaga on July 22, 2020

The article itself has a Routledge copyright notice, which means that technically they could take down that PDF. It is, however, quite possible that the author (or university) is allowed to post the PDF to non-commercial sites like a personal website or university repository. Then again, it is extremely common that academics upload their papers (that they have signed away rights to the publisher) to academic social networking sites like Researchgate and Academia. The papers are rarely taken down.

While I am no admin, I've been on the site long enough to deduce that the practice in these cases is just to upload the PDF, then take it down if they get a complaint from the publisher and/or author. Seems like admins have been AWOL for some time, but hopefully one of them can chime in on this.