Creating audio editions of submissions

Submitted by blaird on March 13, 2017

I am working with the IWW's Literature Department. I am inquiring about creating audio editions of some of our literature. Is there someone who knows how to do this? How do I get started on this?

Steven.

7 years 1 month ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Steven. on March 13, 2017

Well, I'm no expert but I think the easiest way to host it would probably be soundcloud or something similar. For audio recordings, the most difficult thing is always going to be the prohibitive cost of bandwidth, if you want to host it yourself, so using some commercial third-party service would probably be the easiest option

Jim

7 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Jim on March 13, 2017

I would suggest getting a decent USB microphone and a copy of Audacity although you could use any number of types of microphone and recording software.

Then just get someone to sit at a computer in a quiet (ideally sound proof) environment and start reading the literature. Once you've got a recording done you will probably need to edit it using Audacity or other types of software (I've used Adobe Audition for making radio broadcasts before).

Then when you've got a finished file upload it to something like Soundcloud.

I've seen fash using archive.org for hosting as that's less likely to remove stuff.

jef costello

7 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jef costello on March 13, 2017

librivox does this with out of copyright books, that might be a model worth looking at.

jondwhite

7 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jondwhite on March 13, 2017

Audacity software then click record on the software then read aloud. Your laptop probably has a very basic microphone built in.