Embedding youtube videos

Submitted by R Totale on May 5, 2021

Can anyone explain what's going on here? I tried to embed a video into a recent article - on my laptop, nothing shows up at all, opening my mobile browser I can see a blank space where the video should be but no actual video. I've tried copying and pasting the code from other articles on libcom with embedded videos and still nothing. Can other people see it, or explain what I'm doing wrong, or what?

Reddebrek

2 years 11 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Reddebrek on May 7, 2021

you need to click on the input format at the bottom of the text body panel and select full html in the options. Also best to include links to the video as embedding doesn't always work on every browser.

R Totale

2 years 11 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on May 7, 2021

Thanks - I've just checked the article again and it seems to be coming up as a blank space for me, but I can see there's a frame there so I can believe it might just be my browser playing up. And there is a link to the video as well so hopefully people should be able to see it.

Khawaga

2 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on May 7, 2021

It's a blank space for me too. The HTML looked just fine, at least I couldn't spot any mistakes or other issues.

Fozzie

2 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Fozzie on May 7, 2021

Blank space for me in Chrome and Edge I'm afraid RT.

Reddebrek

2 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on May 7, 2021

went to the vid and got the embed code again, its showing up for me now on chrome.

R Totale

2 years 11 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on May 8, 2021

Working for me in firefox now, thanks for whatever you did there Reddebrek!

Steven.

2 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on May 8, 2021

YouTube made a massive change a while ago on how video embeds work, which killed most embedded videos, so I think a lot of the time they don't work. I will look into this and try to find out a bit more.

Reddebrek

2 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on May 12, 2021

I think they changed the embedding script so older embeds didn't work. To get this one to show up I clicked on the link to the video, then got the embed script from its share feature. I don't know why it would be different on a new upload but the script was different to the one already pasted into the body, so when I switched it it started showing up.

On Blogger the way to embed videos no longer works so you have to use the video player feature, kinda pointless since that is also youtube, and videos from other sites still seem to work, but thats tech dev I guess.

R Totale

2 years 6 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on October 12, 2021

I'm nearly sure that there's a way to embed either facebook or twitter videos in here, but can't remember how you do it. If anyone can, feel free to edit this news story so the videos are actually embedded:
https://libcom.org/news/italian-general-strike-amazon-warehouse-blockaded-piacenza-strikers-attacked-prato-12102021

Ed

2 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Ed on October 12, 2021

Basically, you just need to copy the 'embed' code (usually under the 'share' section, or the three little dots '...'). Then just paste them into the article and be sure to select 'Full HTML' in the input format section before posting.

R Totale

2 years 6 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on October 12, 2021

Brilliant, thanks for that - working now.