Redundant Forums?

Submitted by Spikymike on April 29, 2016

As mentioned before the 'Solidarity Networks' and 'Autonomous Students Network' forums seem to have dried up and could perhaps be closed and deleted subject to preserving some of the background linked material, and could the Sol-Fed and Anarcho-syndicalist Forums not be merged? Perhaps some rationalisation would be worthwhile and free up space for other uses?

Steven.

7 years 12 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Steven. on April 29, 2016

Hi Mike, thanks for flagging this up. This is basically on hold as we are planning on overhauling the whole site and removing the whole forum structure. There will still be a space for discussions, but this will be in a single place, more like the tracker, rather than having separate forums for different topics. We won't be deleting any old discussions though, they will still be viewable and people will still be able to continue them.

Spikymike

7 years 12 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on April 29, 2016

OK. I'm not against all forums as such - would seem necessary to have some subdivisions - 'announcements' and 'library additions' for instance and others do perform a useful function. Maybe any new layout could be sampled somehow for the rest of us to comment?

jef costello

7 years 12 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on April 29, 2016

I think the library, news etc would still be all separate.
Personally I think it's better to keep the forum divisions, but I have a long history of being wrong about changes so it's probably a good idea.

cactus9

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on May 9, 2016

Well, I hope it will be a bit more easy to use than rise up.net which was so difficult that I couldn't even work out what it was but I think is something similar to what you are going to change it to.

Steven.

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on May 9, 2016

jef costello

I think the library, news etc would still be all separate.
Personally I think it's better to keep the forum divisions, but I have a long history of being wrong about changes so it's probably a good idea.

hi, TBH we are proposing abolishing those divisions as well, so basically just dividing the site content into two categories: articles and discussions. As the distinctions between news/library/history are very vague, and after a couple of years, the news articles become history…

happychaos

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by happychaos on May 9, 2016

Could you run a sandbox site for people to try and comment before switching over?

Steven.

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on May 10, 2016

happychaos

Could you run a sandbox site for people to try and comment before switching over?

yeah, definitely we will try to do this

petey

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by petey on May 10, 2016

perhaps the stupidest possible question, but you'll be retaining tags, so that there's some way at least to narrow down the content on the screen?

Steven.

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on May 10, 2016

petey

perhaps the stupidest possible question, but you'll be retaining tags, so that there's some way at least to narrow down the content on the screen?

yes, definitely. We will be trying to promote the tags more as a better and more specific way to navigate the site

Chilli Sauce

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on May 11, 2016

Steven.

petey

yes, definitely. We will be trying to promote the tags more as a better and more specific way to navigate the site

Cool. Will that help with the search function as well? I find it's pretty scattershot - I usually just end up using Google to find stuff on the site.

jef costello

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on May 11, 2016

IF you want to use tags then a tag cloud would be good, maybe on the front page?
A tag index would be good, I don't think there is one accessible

Steven.

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on May 11, 2016

jef costello

IF you want to use tags then a tag cloud would be good, maybe on the front page?
A tag index would be good, I don't think there is one accessible

tag indexes are available on every subsection of the site, like the library for example: http://libcom.org/library/tags

Spikymike

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on July 29, 2016

'libcommunity' revenge!
Just wondered if getting rid of this old forum was a good idea now that some regular posters seen to have transferred the 'chit-chat', 'in-house' jokes. 'pats-on-the-back' and general clubbing advice to other threads aimed at some more serious political discussion?
Yours truly, Mr Grumpy.

Serge Forward

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on July 29, 2016

How come Libcommunity got binned off anyway?

Steven.

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on July 29, 2016

What sort of thing are you referring to Mike?

Spikymike

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on July 30, 2016

Steven,
Seemed to me that the still current libcom/JK/EG discussion thread went that way for a bit but it's not been the only time - just a bit of a winge on my part though. Nothing against some friendly/comradely banter between libcom posters from time to time provided it doesn't derail discussions but I can see some non registered readers being put off by the in-house club atmosphere that might project.