Search engine

Submitted by syndicalist on November 4, 2016

is there something wrong with the search engine?

syndicalist

7 years 5 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by syndicalist on November 4, 2016

Although this is not what I was searcginh for, I figured let type this in and see what happens.

Simple enough: CNT-AIT

Your search yielded no results
Check if your spelling is correct.
Remove quotes around phrases to match each word individually: "blue smurf" will match less than blue smurf.
Consider loosening your query with OR: blue smurf will match less than blue OR smurf.

Spikymike

7 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on November 6, 2016

Yep still broken.

Spikymike

4 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on May 15, 2019

It's even worse - getting in the way of moving from one thread to another just now.

Spikymike

4 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on May 26, 2019

This has worked fine previously (bar a few minor glitches) but is now down all the time. Do the Admins know why? Can it not be fixed?

Spikymike

4 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on May 30, 2019

Google or other search engine is rarely an adequate means of bypassing this problem unless you have a very specific description of what you want. Unavailability of the site search facility must surely be off-putting to others visiting (fewer than in the past though they might be?) ?

Juan Conatz

4 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on May 30, 2019

I have never in my decade of using this site ever found the search function on this site useful. It has always led to results that you have to sift through for a while if it even gives you what you're looking for. Typing what you're looking for in a search engine, followed by "site:libcom.org" is a far better way to find things.

Jim

4 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Jim on May 30, 2019

Juan Conatz

I have never in my decade of using this site ever found the search function on this site useful. It has always led to results that you have to sift through for a while if it even gives you what you're looking for. Typing what you're looking for in a search engine, followed by "site:libcom.org" is a far better way to find things.

Same

Spikymike

4 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on June 20, 2019

Well the alternative 'search engine' approach does work sometimes for specific titles but then my security system seems to randomly block access to others! Still think the failure of the libcom search facility which worked fine for me for ages till recently is a loss that it would be beneficial to restore if possible. Also how is the promised upgrade to the site progressing anyway?

Spikymike

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on July 10, 2019

It seems the only way to deal with the poorly functioning search facility on the site was to remove it all-together!!

pi

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by pi on July 15, 2019

Would admins be interested in an easy stop-gap search? This is D7 right? If so, I have a custom module you might be interested in:
-provides a search block
-Duck Duck Go results
-simple, secure, standards code with comments so quick to review
-screen reader friendly and translatable
-includes template & css so easily customised
-multiple domains (eg "example.com/library,example.com/blog")

Unfortunately DDG do not allow web sites to host responses so the results show on a DDG page. It's a quick temporary rubbish search solution but it's possibly better than nothing.

darren p

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by darren p on July 15, 2019

pi

This is D7 right?

I'm not an admin but I believe this is D6, hence the troubles with the upgrade and no responsive page design..

pi

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by pi on July 15, 2019

Ah ok. Ta.