Cafes

Submitted by The Pigeon on April 13, 2016

Does anyone have a favorite cafe they frequent? Does it have its own culture? There is one cafe in my town that I go to more often where the owner is frequently sitting around and sometimes working. It's a calm environment. I've met a few acquaintances there.

Noah Fence

8 years ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Noah Fence on April 13, 2016

Where I go there's liberalism in the vegan mayo. Lovely grub, horrible place, deluded middle class activisty clientele plus one anarchist gritting his teeth while waiting for his order.

Steven.

8 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on April 13, 2016

I quite like the idea of cafes, and I'll go to them if I'm abroad, but in the UK there is no way I'm paying £2 or more for a cup of coffee, when I can make a better one (in most cases) for a few pence.

Serge Forward

8 years ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on April 13, 2016

Round the corner from where I live:

Downvote???? :x Right, who the fuck doesn't like bubble and squeak?

Noah Fence

8 years ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on April 13, 2016

Soz. A slip of the finger. Here, have an upvote by way of an apology.

That said, I won't be visiting you're fave cafe. I'm too middle class.
Hmmm, speaking of which, who says caff, and who says caff-a? I say caff which blows my middle class credentials to shit.

Edit: I removed your down vote and some other low life has gone ad replaced it. Not cricket.

petey

8 years ago

Submitted by petey on April 13, 2016

i have in the past and i miss it alot. nothing around here now, starbucks only.
i even had a bar once, chess sets and magazines on the tables and a hundred bottled beers. owned by a german guy who didn't need the income, he just did it in his retirement to stay sane.

boozemonarchy

8 years ago

Submitted by boozemonarchy on April 13, 2016

Love them myself, particularly when you find one you sort of claim as yours and it feels really good and familiar.

Here is a pic. of the Western Cafe in Bozeman Montana, a pretty popular greasy spoon in the downtown area that I still love -

The Pigeon

8 years ago

Submitted by The Pigeon on April 13, 2016

Noah Fence

Hmmm, speaking of which, who says caff, and who says caff-a? I say caff which blows my middle class credentials to shit.

I went craycray at about noonish and totes went to my fave caff and got a frap which made me feel fab.

jef costello

8 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on April 13, 2016

Caff or Cafe depends on the type of place it is, but I haven't been to a real caff for a long time. I'm not a fan of cafes because they're expensive and I'm often drinking water so I feel doubly ripped off, and where I live the cafes all have a pretty shit atmosphere. I might have a last drink in my old locals when I am back in England in a few weeks, there's one with a garden that's nice, it's where you take people who're visiting,there's also a nice cafe not too far with good food, there's a lady making fresh pide by the counter.

ajjohnstone

8 years ago

Submitted by ajjohnstone on April 14, 2016

When in Edinburgh i liked to go to WordPower, buy a book or magazine, and then nip next door to the mosque for lunch. Now greatly expanded but still good value.
http://mosquekitchen.com/

But when i had my dog with me, it was the Forest Cafe (always wondered how the local public health department never cracked down on pets in a food/cooking establishment)
http://blog.theforest.org.uk/cafe

Always meant to get around to dropping in on the Sikh temple for free food but something always distracted me on the way....usually a pub
http://edinburghsikhs.com/Edinburgh-Guru-Nanak-s-Free-Kitchen

commieprincess

8 years ago

Submitted by commieprincess on April 14, 2016

You want a £5 "roast dinner"? You want pierogis, boiled bacon AND calamari? All in one special place? Then you, my friends, need to go to Roses cafe in Kilburn.

Chilli Sauce

8 years ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on April 14, 2016

Noah Fence

Where I go there's liberalism in the vegan mayo. Lovely grub, horrible place, deluded middle class activisty clientele plus one anarchist gritting his teeth while waiting for his order.

Any cafe with vegan cupcakes is good enough for me ;-)

Noah Fence

8 years ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on April 14, 2016

Cupcakes are counter revolutionary. Vegan cupcakes are counter revolutionary with brass knobs on. Class War, please note the above when next on hipster food joints attack manoeuvres.

Entdinglichung

8 years ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on April 14, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_Central

was unfortunately closed when I visited Vienna

Steven.

8 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on April 14, 2016

Cupcakes are fucking shit.

I say cafe. So goodbye any prole credentials anyone thought I had.

Chilli Sauce

8 years ago

Do you know what's good for making vegan cupcakes? Avacado.

Anyway, cupcakes suck and vegan cafes, they're pure evil.

Cheesecake on the other hand...

Noah Fence

8 years ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on April 14, 2016

Chilli Sauce

Do you know what's good for making vegan cupcakes? Avacado.

Anyway, cupcakes suck and vegan cafes, they're pure evil.

Cheesecake on the other hand...

Apparently you can make vegan cheesecake with avocado. Meant to be very good. I won't be trying any though as I belong to the hair shitt school of veganism. No enjoyment allowed other than the glow of feeling superior to desert scoffers.

Chilli Sauce

8 years ago

My sis makes a wicked vegan cheesecake just using vegan cream cheese, don'cha'know.

Been meaning to try making avacado ice cream for a while now.

The Pigeon

8 years ago

Submitted by The Pigeon on April 15, 2016

Cupcakes or not what makes a good cafe is the ratio of heads to coffee cups and coffee cups to milk and cream... I admit I go bourgie from time to time and lap up a cafe au lait but never, never my friends will I order a latte! But either way some nice cafes people are posting, I'd like to hear some more about how their time passes in these kinds of places.

Auld-bod

8 years ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on April 15, 2016

As a youth I loved a café with a jukebox. With two pals I used to dog off school, and we’d sit for a long as possible nursing a bottle of coke. We were absolutely skint. If the café was empty the guy behind the counter used to ignore us and trip the jukebox so that it played a random selection. It had a beautiful deep sound – what a way to hear The Crickets and Del Shannon!

Serge Forward

8 years ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on April 15, 2016

Memory lane time... the Crickets and Del Shannon... well before my time, Auld Bod ;)

As a nipper, I used to go for the pinball machines. For any older Salford tykes on here... the Tudor Cafe in Patricroft, "Popeye's" (everyone called it that but I never knew its real name) in Swinton and a place off Regent Road in Salford called El Matador's - so called because they had a little plastic souvenir-from-Spain bull in the window.

None of this vegan cupcake shite, thank you very much.

Entdinglichung

8 years ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on April 15, 2016

does anyone know a cafe which serves cupcakes with meat?

Noah Fence

8 years ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on April 15, 2016

Entdinglichung

Yeah, it's called Libcom Admins HQ Canteen.

jondwhite

8 years ago

Submitted by jondwhite on April 15, 2016

What happened to Firebox in London? Why did it close?

Hieronymous

8 years ago

Submitted by Hieronymous on April 18, 2016

I'm lucky, I'm sitting in a dingy dive of a cafe literally right across from some cliffs perched above the Pacific Ocean in -- an appropriately named town -- Pacifica, two cities south of San Francisco. There isn't a cloud in the sky and I'm sweltering sitting in front of a window taking in the brilliant sun rays.

During migrations, I've even seen whales from these same windows. It's also a block from some cliffside apartments destroyed by recent powerful El Niño swells.

Today I can see container ships sailing into San Francisco Bay, framed by two rocky points along this attractive stretch of coast. On weekends the joint has jazz combos and the food and coffee offerings are pretty cheap, although boring and routine. And thankfully far enough from San Francisco's techno-hipsters to keep it humbly proletarian for the indefinite future.

Some lefties hang out here and I've had random conversations about class struggle when someone has seen me reading some ultra-left text -- or vice versa. Feels like home and I've got to hope that the cliffs keep crumbling and the place stays too unsafe to gentrify.

EDIT: Here's a romantic sunset view of my favorite, Chit Chat Cafe in Pacifica, California:

Auld-bod

8 years ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on April 16, 2016

Hieronymous #25

I may be green with envy of you sitting in sunlight, though I’d never betray it with a ‘down vote’!

libcom

8 years ago

Submitted by libcom on April 17, 2016

admin note: this is a final warning for those users attempting to troll someone by down voting their posts. Down voting is for flagging up abusive or unhelpful posts, or those which breach site posting guidelines. Not for posts of individuals you have personal beef with. Your down votes are anonymous to other users, but not to site admins, so retract your bullying down votes or be banned again.

Noah Fence

8 years ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on April 18, 2016

libcom

admin note: this is a final warning for those users attempting to troll someone by down voting their posts. Down voting is for flagging up abusive or unhelpful posts, or those which breach site posting guidelines. Not for posts of individuals you have personal beef with. Your down votes are anonymous to other users, but not to site admins, so retract your bullying down votes or be banned again.

I'm intrigued. What's all this about?

Steven.

8 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on April 18, 2016

We're not going to derail this discussion. Back to cafes…

Entdinglichung

8 years ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on April 18, 2016

Noah Fence

Entdinglichung

would love to go there

Noah Fence

8 years ago

Entdinglichung

Noah Fence

Entdinglichung

would love to go there

It's in a secret high reading on the hipstometer East London postcode. I don't know where exactly but it won't be Stoke Newington. No chance of any meaty cupcakes there. Just a bunch of smelly hipster hippies!

Noah Fence

8 years ago

When I was in my twenties I used to go to a place called Jims cafe that had 1950's Rock and roll playing constantly. A horrible assault on my delicate musical sensibilities. The breakfast however were absolutely banging. There was a gang of four of us that went every day for around a year and we took turns to pay. Anyways, one guy called Pete usually had the full English No1 which was a regular hearty English breakfast. They also did No2 and No3, No3 being over twice the price of a number one and was simply enormous. The thing was, on the day that it was his turn he would often just had mushrooms on toast but when it was my turn he always had the very expensive No3. We were good mates outside of work long before we even worked together, in fact I got him the job so I didn't think he disliked me. Eventually I asked him why I got stung every time. He said, and this is verbatim; 'you're the forman which makes you a cunt.'
Charming.

Shorty

8 years ago

Submitted by Shorty on April 18, 2016

In Stockholm, Tankekraft (like the Swedish Verso?) has it's own book cafe in Aspudden, which was four tube stops from where I lived, but quite a middle class area. Nice cafe but I'm not sure if everyone who ate and drank there was aware of its radical nature. The base for the cash desk is made up of unsold copies of Hardt & Negri's Multitude :D lol

The Pigeon

8 years ago

Submitted by The Pigeon on April 18, 2016

That's interesting... did they do anything else besides sell books? Was there any sort of specifically radical atmosphere or was it mostly just the books?

I think the whole bookshop and cafe go well together. I remember an anarchist bookcafe in New York called I think Bluestockings. The ambience wasn't as nice as the less radical, but still cool Housing Works bookcafe which had that old library style.

infektfm

8 years ago

Submitted by infektfm on April 19, 2016

I go to this completely affordable working class cafe called STARBUCKS, I think it might be from Europe somewhere. I love going there after I hit up the progressive food haven WHOLE FOODS

cactus9

8 years ago

Submitted by cactus9 on April 19, 2016

I go to Starbucks sometimes but I know it's wrong.

Recently I have discovered a lovely little cafe near my house, it's not much to look at, I think it's run by a Turkish man, does amazing cheese and onion toasties etc. I have been there a few times recently anyway then one day I took a closer look at the pictures on the wall and one of them is Che Guevara which made me smile.

I went through a brief phrase of liking fancy flat white, sourdough toast cafes but I've got sick of that now.

Fall Back

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Fall Back on May 19, 2016

Noah Fence

When I was in my twenties I used to go to a place called Jims cafe that had 1950's Rock and roll playing constantly. A horrible assault on my delicate musical sensibilities. The breakfast however were absolutely banging. There was a gang of four of us that went every day for around a year and we took turns to pay. Anyways, one guy called Pete usually had the full English No1 which was a regular hearty English breakfast. They also did No2 and No3, No3 being over twice the price of a number one and was simply enormous. The thing was, on the day that it was his turn he would often just had mushrooms on toast but when it was my turn he always had the very expensive No3. We were good mates outside of work long before we even worked together, in fact I got him the job so I didn't think he disliked me. Eventually I asked him why I got stung every time. He said, and this is verbatim; 'you're the forman which makes you a cunt.'
Charming.

Do you have any more tales of Pete, he's fast becoming a latter day folk hero.

Noah Fence

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on May 19, 2016

Fall Back

Noah Fence

Charming.

Do you have any more tales of Pete, he's fast becoming a latter day folk hero.

Haha, yeah he was a bit special, but then alcoholism can create wonderous elements to the personality as well as the negative ones. He had both in spades. I know there are more stories from the legend of Pete but I'll have to scan my failing memory and get back to you.

fidel gastro

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by fidel gastro on May 19, 2016

If you ever find yourself in Canterbury in Kent, England- then the Veg Box Cafe in Burgate is nice. It's a vegan and veggie place.The food is great, the people are nice- it isn't exactly cheap though.

fidel gastro

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by fidel gastro on May 20, 2016

Slightly off topic, if you go to a Wetherspoons and order a filter coffee, you are entitled to free re-fills up until a certain time (I think it's 2pm).

cactus9

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on May 21, 2016

fidel gastro

Slightly off topic, if you go to a Wetherspoons and order a filter coffee, you are entitled to free re-fills up until a certain time (I think it's 2pm).

Wetherspoons coffee is horrible, true fact.

fidel gastro

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by fidel gastro on May 21, 2016

cactus9

fidel gastro

Wetherspoons coffee is horrible, true fact.

Incorrect bullcrap!

Serge Forward

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on May 21, 2016

Who goes into Wetherspoons for a coffee? Cheap beer and nosh, understood... but coffee???

Noah Fence

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on May 21, 2016

Serge Forward

Who goes into Wetherspoons for a coffee? Cheap beer and nosh, understood... but coffee???

Who goes in Wetherspoons, period? Isn't it meant for those ghastly working class types?

Edit: oops, wrong site, I thought I was at Liberal.com

cactus9

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on May 21, 2016

Serge Forward

The fish and chips are usually good because their flyers are on full blast day in day out.

Schmoopie

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Schmoopie on May 21, 2016

Who goes in Wetherspoons, period? Isn't it meant for those ghastly working class types?

The last thing I recall about 'Spoons is a hash brown fried in ancient vegetable oil that repeated on me the rest of the day and a kid drugged up on anti-ADHD formula. I won't be going back.

fidel gastro

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by fidel gastro on May 22, 2016

Serge Forward

I go there for all 3 of those things, and to other places too.