"Can't pay we'll take it away"

Submitted by Scallywag on January 7, 2017

Anyone ever seen this god awful programme, if not its a show on channel 5 following bailiffs going to homes repossessing goods and evicting people. It presents the bailiffs as being reasonable, unbiased people just going about their jobs and their most common defence is that they don't want to be there and wouldn't be if the person had just paid their debts. Makes me so fucking angry that this sort of shit along with things like "benefits street" passes as entertainment.

What sort of things should I do or say though if I ever encountered bailiffs evicting someone?

Also seeing this state sanctioned violence and oppression by the hands of bailiffs, police, immigration control and so on makes me seriously angry like I want to respond to it with violence, but we are essentially powerless to do anything. What can we do?

Serge Forward

7 years 2 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Serge Forward on January 7, 2017

Start by not watching shit on Channel 5.

As for what you can/can't do in relation to dealing with bailiffs, gen up on the legal situation first. Then look into the feasibility of setting up a local anti-bailiff response network of some sorts. This last, however, is much easier said than done in the current shitty climate.

Scallywag

7 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Scallywag on January 7, 2017

Serge Forward

Start by not watching shit on Channel 5.

As for what you can/can't do in relation to dealing with bailiffs, gen up on the legal situation first. Then look into the feasibility of setting up a local anti-bailiff response network of some sorts. This last, however, is much easier said than done in the current shitty climate.

I don't its my dads favourite show :(

cactus9

7 years 2 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on January 14, 2017

"Can't pay, we never take anything away"

I watched this for a bit until I got bored of it, I always felt bad though. I preferred Police Interceptors though. The irresistible lure of programs like this is why I've given up watching tv.

adri

7 years 2 months ago

Submitted by adri on January 14, 2017

Could this be any more relevant? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_M4k7F-bvw

jef costello

7 years 2 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on January 14, 2017

Serge Forward

Exactly.
Back in the eighties here were phone trees in Haringey for when bailiffs showed up oveer the poll tax.