Chill Out

Submitted by Fleur on July 14, 2017

So, I've noticed that people have been getting pretty tetchy of late, not just here but around here there's been an outbreak of bad temperedness, so I thought I'd ask what people around here like to do to chill out.

I'm pretty boring really, my preferred method of clearing my head of annoyances is getting outside and walking. A lot of things annoy me, so I probably have one of the best exercised dogs on the planet. I also make stuff, I find working with my hands very relaxing. And then, when the dog doesn't want to go out anymore, or I've finished smelting some bronze or sewing a quilt, there's always weed. That helps.

Anyone else?

Tom Henry

6 years 8 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Tom Henry on July 14, 2017

Comedy does it for me.

admin: off topic attack on another poster removed. This is a warning.

... but that's not really what you were after, is it?

:)

Serge Forward

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on July 15, 2017

Chat to one of the kids on the phone or catch up with my mam, spend time with my partner, noodle away on the guitar, read either a hard-boiled detective novel or some space opera, listen to music (classical, funk, blues, jazz), drink a single malt or three, enjoy a film night with mates or talk non-league football, go for a drive somewhere, or a walk... anything but go on the fucking Internet.

petey

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by petey on July 15, 2017

Fleur

read either a hard-boiled detective novel

In that vein, I've recently been getting into Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins novels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezekiel_%22Easy%22_Rawlins

i saw this when it came out
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_in_a_Blue_Dress_(film)
i thought it was excellent. Cheadle's first big opportunity.

Fleur

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on July 15, 2017

I've not seen the film but the books are really good.

wojtek

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on July 15, 2017

Drink too much (stagnating) and proceed to workout/run 10km+ (progressing). Induces simultaneously both shame and pride. Odd feeling.
https://youtu.be/ZxILMa5LrqU

mn8

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by mn8 on July 15, 2017

Tom Henry

Comedy does it for me.

REMOVED

... but that's not really what you were after, is it?

:)

This is like civil disobedience

Serge Forward

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on July 15, 2017

The Easy Rawlins books are ace! It's probably about time I re-read them. Outside of that series, you might also want to try Mosley's RL's Dream and Alway's Outnumbered, Always Outgunned.

For today's chillin' out... I'm listening to the Donny Hathaway Live album. Just one of those concerts where you wish you'd been there.

Reading... just finished The Jennifer Morgue, the second in "the Laundry Files" series by Charles Stross. The first book, The Atrocity Archive was HP Lovecraft meets Len Deighton with a lot of gags thrown in. "Jennifer" is Lovecraft meets Ian Fleming with added laffs.

Khawaga

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on July 15, 2017

I love the Laundry Files book and Stross in general, though I wish he'll write something else than Laundry books. Accelerando is up there as one of my most favourite sci-fi books ever.

Anyway, to chill out I get off the internet and go for a walk or play a game like Stardew Valley. And cats; always cats.

wojtek

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on July 16, 2017

Sike

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Sike on July 16, 2017

wojtek

Any ideas why I can't see what wojtek posted?

Tom Henry

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Tom Henry on July 16, 2017

It's deep.

S/He is posting nothing as a way of chilling out.

Wojtek has beaten us all to an attitude of distance and zen calm.

Good on her/him.

jef costello

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on July 16, 2017

Sike

wojtek

Any ideas why I can't see what wojtek posted?

S. Artesian complained to the admins and they skipped the vetting process and took it down immediately.

Unravel - a computer game where you are a little person made of wool and you need to look for more bundles of wool to reach the end of the level.

Putty Squad - awesome unreleased Amiga game, lots of fun playing on an emulator.

Exercise, went for a run this morning and it clears the head.

Reading. A few novels and recently finsih City of Quartz by Mark Davis. Currently reading some short stories by Iceberg Slim who, as a rule, writes shockingly poor dialogue and I am not quite sure why I am reading it.

Rewatching The Americans to get me ready for the new season.

Listening to music and doing nothing else.

In general doing one thing at a time, when you do two things at once you do neither of them properly and don't enjoy them either.

Tom Henry

6 years 8 months ago

jef costello,

Technically you should be up for a warning here. For an off topic attack on a fellow poster, but I suspect you won't be.

But, Libcom admins, I don't mind whatever you decide, it's all good with me, I don't own the site. Of course, I guess that one has to complain to the admins to get posts censored?

Hey, look, something good is coming of all this.

Steven.

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on July 16, 2017

I removed that part of your post, no one reported it although a bunch of people down voted it. If we see breaches of posting guidelines we deal with them ourselves, however we can't see everything so if people want us to take action on something they should report it. Anyway back on topic… If you want to query admin decisions start a new thread in the feedback and content forum

el psy congroo

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by el psy congroo on July 16, 2017

Fleur

I thought I'd ask what people around here like to do to chill out.

heroin plus a little meth usually does the trick for me

Tom Henry

6 years 8 months ago

Hey epc, you should get off that stuff and get back on Monty Python, particularly The Life of Brian!

Steven.

I don't mean to offend the admins, others do this constantly.

I am aware that you do a thankless job.

Whatever you decide is ok by me.

el psy congroo

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by el psy congroo on July 16, 2017

Tom Henry

Hey epc, you should get off that stuff

just one more toke, I swear!!!!!

Tom Henry

6 years 8 months ago

Epc - get shum shleep!

Steven,
I may have misunderstood you, do you mean I should report jef costello?

Sike

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Sike on July 17, 2017

wojtek

I deleted it, but this was one half of it.

wojtek, others, thanks for replying. I ask because I thought it might be a tech related problem on my part. I'll occasionally encounter a post on other threads were a video or picture had obviously been posted but all that I can see is a blank space similar to that which I see on wojtek's op on this thread.

One of my favorite ways to chill out recently is to get up early before dawn and enjoy the brief peace and quite before everyone else in the home wakes up.

radicalgraffiti

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by radicalgraffiti on July 17, 2017

Sike

wojtek

I deleted it, but this was one half of it.

wojtek, others, thanks for replying. I ask because I thought it might be a tech related problem on my part. I'll occasionally encounter a post on other threads were a video or picture had obviously been posted but all that I can see is a blank space similar to that which I see on wojtek's op on this thread.

that usually happens because the browser doesn't display non secure content (http) on a a secure page (https) on firefox you can usually make it display by clicking on the little i next to the back button, clicking the arrow and selecting "disable protection for now"

on chrome go to the right of the address bar and there should be a shield symbol with a little red x on it clicking on that should give you the option "load unsecure scripts"

jef costello

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on July 18, 2017

Sike

click o quote and you can see the link even if you can't see the embedded video

el psy congroo

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by el psy congroo on July 20, 2017

I discoverd The Internet recently. Loving that shit up. SYD's new album is teh bees knees, as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xw2d9mo7jYE