Leicester Womens Anarchist Group (and the FT)

Submitted by Uncreative on April 19, 2018

Turns out the Financial Times Work and Careers Editor was a member of Leicester Womens Anarchist Group in 1990 for a bit before moving away. Kind of funny that of all the editorial roles, they ended up being in charge of "work and careers".

"#MeToo and my six months as radical feminist", paywalled i think.

Anyone know anything about them? The LWAG, not the FT journo.

Fozzie

6 years ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Fozzie on April 19, 2018

Expropriate that paywalled content and cut and paste it up here, comrade!

wojtek

6 years ago

Submitted by wojtek on April 19, 2018

You can read it by typing the article headline into google news and clicking on the subsequent link.

Fozzie

6 years ago

wojtek

You can read it by typing the article headline into google news and clicking on the subsequent link.

Ah! Excellent, thank you.

Not a bad piece. It suffers from that "now I am older and wiser" disdain for direct action which is all too common in the mainstream press. But at least she still sees the relevance of what she did back then...

Fozzie

6 years ago

Also I don't know anything about the group but there is a very cool poster for a Leicester Anarchist Group meeting in 1893 here:

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/ref/collection/p16445coll1/id/205

Steven.

6 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on April 19, 2018

Fozzie

Also I don't know anything about the group but there is a very cool poster for a Leicester Anarchist Group meeting in 1893 here:

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/ref/collection/p16445coll1/id/205

That's great stuff, I'll add it to the WCH history map. And they had DJ Nicholl playing!

Interesting article, thanks for posting it up. I know another FT journalist who was involved in the anarchist movement a while ago as well, and who I believe had account on enrager

Serge Forward

6 years ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on April 19, 2018

It's the Gorrie collection. It's just down the road from me so I really should check it out. The women's anarchist group is before my time in Leicester but I know one person who may have been in it.