OneCoin

Submitted by rat on August 2, 2020

Has anyone listened to the BBC podcast series about OneCoin?

The BBC podcast is about:

Dr Ruja Ignatova persuaded millions to join her financial revolution. Then she disappeared. Why? Jamie Bartlett presents a story of greed, deceit and herd madness.

And, ok, the BBC podcast is fairly irritating because of its repetitive use of quotes, the smug voice of the presenters etc. But the cult-like aspect of OneCoin is fairly interesting. Anyway, I just wondered what Libcom posters thought?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nkd84/episodes/downloads

jef costello

3 years 8 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by jef costello on August 4, 2020

I listened but missed the last episode. I thought it was pretty intereresting. The cult-like aspect of it is pretty similar to all of these wealth-creating schemes (Multi-level marketing etc)
I remember listening to the speech where she says that now they are all experts and there is this huge cheer, but these people must be aware that they know absolutely nothing about what bitcoins are and all they know is they have a number in an account that keeps going up.
I suppose when you live in a world where actually working makes no money I can see why people would waste money on this.
They also didn't push, or even really question the Dutch (?) guy who brought his 'network' and sold onecoin to tens of thousands of people and then complaineed that he was the biggest loser because he had received half of his payment in onecoin.

I watched Betting on Zero a few months ago, that was pretty interesting.