The Raven

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
papaspace
Offline
Joined: 14-10-09
Oct 12 2012 12:14
The Raven

Does anyone know where I could find scans of issues of The Raven?

If they're not online, maybe someone someone who has them is willing to scan them and upload?

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Oct 12 2012 15:44

deleted: I was being a douche

Kronstadt_Kid's picture
Kronstadt_Kid
Offline
Joined: 6-02-09
Oct 12 2012 17:27

I have the class struggle issue that is often seen at anarchist book fairs etc.

If I was encouraged then I could think about scanning some of it up.

Theft's picture
Theft
Offline
Joined: 17-08-11
Oct 12 2012 17:37

We have

The Raven 1 Freedom Press 1987
The Raven 2 Freedom Press 1987
The Raven 3 Freedom Press 1987
The Raven 4 Freedom Press 1988
The Raven 6 Freedom Press 1988
The Raven 7 Freedom Press 1989
The Raven 8 Freedom Press 1989
The Raven 8 Freedom Press 1989
The Raven 9 Freedom Press 1990
The Raven 10 Freedom Press 1990
The Raven 11 Freedom Press 1990
The Raven 12 Freedom Press 1990
The Raven 13 Freedom Press 1991
The Raven 14 Freedom Press 1991
The Raven 21 Feminism Anarchism Women Freedom Press 1993

As part of the Sheffield Anarchist Archive, we do plan on putting stuff up online, though whether we scan in things like Raven is another issue, maybe once everything else is sorted.

working class self organisation's picture
working class s...
Offline
Joined: 10-04-11
Oct 17 2012 00:24

Being a nerd, I recently purchased all 43 issues from freedom

I uploaded all the covers here - http://libcom.org/gallery/raven-anarchist-quarterly-front-covers-1987-20....

Apart from the last few issues, electronic copies do not exist, unless someone has scanned them. I haven't seen any copies online.

At some point during the coming months I don intend of scanning them all, although it is a massive task, so may do one a week and see how it goes. Needless to say, when I get around to it I will be posting them on here.

vanilla.ice.baby
Offline
Joined: 9-08-07
Oct 17 2012 10:58

There always used to be hundreds of copies of every issue at Freedom for some reason they wouldn't chuck them out...

the button's picture
the button
Offline
Joined: 7-07-04
Oct 17 2012 11:56
vanilla.ice.baby wrote:
There always used to be hundreds of copies of every issue at Freedom for some reason they wouldn't chuck them out...

I assumed it was in case the far right attacked again -- not even the most hardened bonehead could withstand being read to from a copy of The Raven for longer than 90 seconds.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Oct 17 2012 11:59
working class self organisation wrote:
Being a nerd, I recently purchased all 43 issues from freedom

I uploaded all the covers here - http://libcom.org/gallery/raven-anarchist-quarterly-front-covers-1987-20....

Apart from the last few issues, electronic copies do not exist, unless someone has scanned them. I haven't seen any copies online.

At some point during the coming months I don intend of scanning them all, although it is a massive task, so may do one a week and see how it goes. Needless to say, when I get around to it I will be posting them on here.

yeah, that would be great if you could put them here as PDFs.

I have a complete set of them myself, but actually never read any of them as everyone always said they were shit!

When I was at Freedom, T had thousands of back issues of the Raven pulped, after we made an effort to get rid of them.

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Oct 17 2012 15:12

I have issue no. 3 (November 1987) which includes Colin Ward's essay 'The path not taken', some stuff on surrealism and fee-paying libertarian schools during the war, hence my (rash?) belief that they're not worth bothering with.

andymeinke
Offline
Joined: 31-10-12
Oct 31 2012 12:46

did most of the chucking myself. we still have around 15 of each if anyone's interested. £3 a shot or £100 the lot

sherbu-kteer's picture
sherbu-kteer
Offline
Joined: 19-08-17
Jul 19 2018 06:47

Any chance you could upload that Colin Ward essay? I would be forever in debt!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 19 2018 17:16

Just to say we have a few digitised copies of The Raven here: https://libcom.org/library/raven-journal

sherbu-kteer's picture
sherbu-kteer
Offline
Joined: 19-08-17
Jul 22 2018 15:11

I saw, but unfortunately the one I'm after, issue 3, isn't there. I'm planning to pick up a copy when I'm in London. I'd be happy to scan it for the library when I do.

Also, how come you guys hate the Raven so much?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 22 2018 17:34
sherbu-kteer wrote:
I saw, but unfortunately the one I'm after, issue 3, isn't there. I'm planning to pick up a copy when I'm in London. I'd be happy to scan it for the library when I do.

Also, how come you guys hate the Raven so much?

that would be great if you could scan it!

Basically a lot of people don't like it because most of the content is rubbish. At the time it was published, Freedom was mostly edited by liberal, individualist types. As an example of how crap they were, they didn't support the miners during the 1984-5 strike, describing them as a bunch of "extra-thick thickies" (for info for Americans, "thick" here means "stupid").