TVs you like - let's share em!

172 posts / 0 new
Last post
boomerang
May 14 2015 03:21
TVs you like - let's share em!

So what tv shows do you like?

On another thread I talked about not having enough time to read things that were recommended to me due to an already big reading list, and now here I am trying to find tv shows to watch. Well, I guess it's not just time but mental energy. I can only take so much reading especially about serious things.

A discussion about this was already started on another thread. Here's what we got so far:

boomerang wrote:
What are some good sitcoms / comedy shows to waste time on? I've been looking for some. Decent comedies are hard to find.
Doesn't matter if it's off the air

Webby wrote:
Try these;

Nathan Barley http://youtu.be/06AS8SiY3rw

The Mighty Boosh(I prefer series 3)

The Flight of The Concords.

boomerang wrote:
Ah The Flight of the Concords, good stuff! I'll check out the others.

One I've been watching lately and like a lot is "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia." I just started season 5.

Now I have to warn this can get offensive. Sometimes it crosses the line for me and I've even taken a couple breaks from the show after being upset by something, telling myself I'm done with it, but I always find my way back to it because usually it's within my limits of what I can put up with and it's one of the all time best shows for making me laugh.

Auld-bod wrote:
This should be a new thread, however I'll go in second bat with Kathy Burke & Tom Farrell’s ‘Gimme Gimme Gimme’. From the BBC, cir.1999, I thought I’d loath it, but somehow was won over. The couple who live downstairs are a bit weird.

boomerang
May 14 2015 03:33

p.s. i asked for comedies (cuz they're usually under half hour so fit better as a short break) but feel free to post any type of tv shows here. on air or off

if you want you can also put a quick blurb about the show or why you like it so we can get a sense if we might too

wojtek
May 14 2015 07:22

eastbound and down
metalocalypse

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 14 2015 08:22

Top Boy. Compelling Drama set on an East London housing estate. Great characters, fantastic use of language. An absolute winner!

It's on Netflix at the moment.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 14 2015 10:29

Days of Hope.

Top notch telly, the likes of which would probably never get made today. Written by Jim Allen, directed by Ken Loach. Jim Allen later wrote a book version. It was excellent as well.

commieprincess's picture
commieprincess
May 14 2015 11:16

Bit old school but if you're not from the UK you may have missed Spaced, which is just all round gentle wonderful comedy and doesn't make you feel anxious and uncomfortable like most good UK comedy.

However, if you do want to feel anxious and uncomfortable, I second Webby's suggestion of Nathan Barley.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 14 2015 11:55

Agreed, Spaced is ace. Though I wouldn't really call it old school. Seems recent to me.

Another favourite of mine from around the same time was Early Doors, and as with Spaced, the comedy was gentle. Dunno if it travels well mind, as it's dead Mancunian. For similar reasons, I don't know if Phoenix Nights travels well either but I reckon it's bob on.

For those who don't know Early Doors, here's a very short clip about Tommy's new job:

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
May 14 2015 11:41

The Thick of It, Sledge Hammer!, MacGyver, ...

radicalgraffiti
May 14 2015 11:47

Black Books

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
May 14 2015 11:52

Curb your enthusiasm?

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 14 2015 14:50
radicalgraffiti wrote:
Black Books

You know what, I never took to that programme. Though I loved Father Ted and could watch it again and again and I really liked the IT Crowd, both from the same stable, I found Black Books pretty much unwatchable. That said, the Tom Waits stylee theme tune is great.

Tarquin
May 14 2015 15:51

Reckon 15 Storeys High was a great comedy that somehow seemed to pass a lot of people by.

That or I'm just wrong.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
May 14 2015 16:03

Veep, Inside Amy Schumer, iZombie, Daredevil, Person of Interest.

A Wotsit's picture
A Wotsit
May 14 2015 16:59

I watch a lot of comedy and see some of my faves have been mentioned already.

I'm gonna second: nathan barley, mighty boosh, spaced (big fan of Mark Heap in particular), the thick of it, black books, gimme gimme gimme, flight of the conchords.

I'll add:

Nighty Night and Hunderby (both dark and at times disturbing comedies from Julia Davis)
Green Wing (weird hospital comedy with big cast- I think Mark Heap in particular is so good in this as are Patricia Gomez and Pippa Haywood),
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (weird spoof of hospital-based supernatural show),
Man to Man with Dean Learner (spoof interview show),
IT Crowd (sitcom about IT workers),
Phone Shop (sitcom about working in a phone shop),
Peep Show (sitcom centred on two flatmates- lots of awkward and cringe moments),
Trailer Park Boys (spoof reality show set in a canadian trailer park),
Ideal (sitcom about a drug dealer in manchester),
House of Fools (Reeves and Mortimer silliness,
Toast of London (Matt Berry plays an actor struggling to get good parts/ reviews)
Benidorm (not sure why I like this but I do- sitcom about brits on holiday in spain)

There are loads of good sketch shows too- I've rewatched a few episodes of Smack the Pony recently which is worth a watch.

There's a new US comedy on 'now tv' or sky called Broad City which I am starting to get into.

Best non-comedy programme I've seen in a while was the BBC's new Sharks documentary.

petey
May 14 2015 17:08

i like letterman.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 14 2015 17:37

Isn't it about time some po faced commie robot posted something along the lines of ' what's this inane nonsense doing on a libertarian communist website. Really, it's no wonder the revolutionary scene is in such a pitiful state. It's about time that...' drones on long into the night while every one else laughs their ass off watching great comedy on the telly.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
May 14 2015 17:39

What is this inane nonsense doing on a libertarian communist website? Really, it's no wonder the revolutionary scene is in such a pitiful state. It's about time that

Edit: just saw Webby's post

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 14 2015 19:54

A Wotsit, you have some good taste, but some terrible taste! Gimme gimme gimme is so shit…

Anyway, these ones people have recommended are good:
nathan barley, mighty boosh (the first two seasons, the third one is shit), spaced, the thick of it, Veep, toast of London, IT crowd, Peep show, man-to-man with Dean learner, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace , flight of the conchords, eastbound and down

But also worth a mention are:
The inbetweeners, this is probably the most laugh out loud comedy of recent years (plus the second film, but the first one is a bit rubbish)
Arrested Development - probably the best comedy of the past decade
Community - maybe the second best comedy of the past decade
the last man on earth - a new show which is very funny, about basically what it sounds like
Cuckoo - Andy Samberg is an annoying hippie who comes to England
Brooklyn nine-nine - Andy Samberg is an amusing cop
modern family - good traditional sitcom
30 Rock - see above
Girls - indie comedy, not super funny but still pretty good
archer - funny animated comedy about an incompetent spy agency
the trip/the trip to Italy - Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon go to restaurants, eat and do silly voices
workaholics - Bro slacker comedy show
the increasingly poor decisions of Todd Margaret - David Cross comes to England for a job, also with Jon Hamm as himself
Clark and Michael - online comedy with Michael Cera and his mate trying to make it in Hollywood
fresh meat - student comedy
bored to death - great subtle comedy about a bored writer who decides to become a private detective

Anyway that's quite enough. I'm thinking I watch too much TV…

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 14 2015 20:25
Quote:
, mighty boosh (the first two seasons, the third one is shit)

Come off it old son, next you'll be saying Adam and the Ants were better before they did Prince Charming or that Clash were better before they split up! Too absurd!

A Wotsit's picture
A Wotsit
May 14 2015 22:20
Steven. wrote:
A Wotsit, you have some good taste, but some terrible taste! Gimme gimme gimme is so shit…

I just watched episode 1 for the first time since I was a teenager. Yeah, the script is pretty awful, I used to like Cathy Burke's stuff, but don't think I'll bother watching another episode of that.

I also enjoyed inbetweeners, fresh meat, arrested development, brooklyn nine-nine and archer so might try a few others off your list.

More shows I liked from the 90s/ early 00s are popping into my head now but won't keep listing.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
May 14 2015 23:08

Old. And you have to be able to parse Glaswegian,

Rab C Nesbitt

ocelot's picture
ocelot
May 14 2015 23:17

Has it's funny moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qfIw1p22F0

ocelot's picture
ocelot
May 14 2015 23:20

Also. No Shameless?

bastarx
May 14 2015 23:58

Silicon Valley is a pretty good pisstake of the delusional business culture of Silicon Valley. Created by Mike Judge who made the excellent film Office Space (and the less excellent Idiocracy).

Standfield's picture
Standfield
May 15 2015 00:47
commieprincess wrote:
Bit old school but if you're not from the UK you may have missed Spaced, .

Yes. Loved Spaced. First time I heard the word "fattyboombatty" and have been using it ever since. The League of Gentlemen is another good comedy of the same era, albeit a bit more... odd.

I think the last piece of truly amazing telly I saw was the first episode of Black Mirror. It stayed with me for days. Found it online too:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22d9ig_black-mirror-s1-ep-1_shortfilms

I'm going to go proper old-school now and recommend Hancock's Half Hour. Brilliantly satirical and farcical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejHKA2HI4TY

I was recommended Utopia, and found that pretty good too.

Spassmaschine
May 15 2015 01:33

Jam

boomerang
May 15 2015 01:41

I think my favorite shows are Game of Thrones and Six Feet Under.

Game of Thrones is the second highest rated show on IMDb. I assume everyone already knows enough about Game of Thrones that I don't need to say anything. Or if you have questions, just ask libcom's very own Tyrion.

Six Feet Under ran from 2001-2005. I like it because it's about people and their pain, their struggles in life for meaning, happiness, etc. Even with its bleak focus it still has a sense of humor, though it's not a comedy. It's a "slice of life" kind of show, nothing extraordinary, it's the drama of the ordinary, and the show does a really good job of showing how interesting that can be. The characters are compelling and it's really well done.

Both shows have more death than perhaps any other show on tv, but that's just a coincidence!

boomerang
May 15 2015 01:43
A Wotsit wrote:
Steven. wrote:

I just watched episode 1 for the first time since I was a teenager. Yeah, the script is pretty awful, I used to like Cathy Burke's stuff, but don't think I'll bother watching another episode of that.

I don't know this show, but you probably shouldn't be embarassed. I think we all have our "guilty pleasure" shows we might not want to admit here!

boomerang
May 15 2015 01:47
Webby wrote:
The Mighty Boosh(I prefer series 3)

Steven. wrote:
mighty boosh (the first two seasons, the third one is shit),

Eels up inside ya! Finding electrics where they can! Eels up inside ya! Finding electrics where they can!

Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! ...

ajjohnstone
May 15 2015 04:24

Nobody mention the Smoking Room

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=smoking+room

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
May 15 2015 05:21

Gimme Gimme Gimme

Case for the defense: Quotes
Tom: Oh, what do you know about love?
Linda La Hughes: I know it's in the dictionary between labia and lust.

Linda La Hughes: Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? What a rip off! Phone a friend? What if you haven't got any friends?

Case against: It’s pure trash.

What’s not to like? Case dismissed.