"'The Wire' Creator Eyes Series on Spanish Civil War"

Submitted by infektfm on April 11, 2016

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/The-Wire-Creator-Eyes-Series-on-Spanish-Civil-War-20160410-0001.html

The Pigeon

8 years ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by The Pigeon on April 16, 2016

This'd be interesting... it was only one of the most significant events in 20th century!!

Sleeper

8 years ago

Submitted by Sleeper on April 16, 2016

The Wire was superb. Does anyone know this mans politics?

Pennoid

8 years ago

Submitted by Pennoid on April 16, 2016

Lib'rul

Pennoid

8 years ago

Submitted by Pennoid on April 16, 2016

Lib'rul

jef costello

8 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on April 16, 2016

He also did Generation Kill (read the book, wasn't great never saw TV show)
I have the first episode of Show Me a Hero (about desegregating housing) but haven't got around to it. Come to think of it I think I stopped watching The Corner after an episode or two. The Wire is awesome and the books of The Wire and The Corner are excellent.

Sleeper

8 years ago

Submitted by Sleeper on April 16, 2016

For an eyewitness account of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade and their part in murdering Spanish anarchists read this - https://www.akpress.org/jumpingtheline.html

vicent

8 years ago

Submitted by vicent on April 16, 2016

is there a way we can mass petition him to get the facts right? If it is well made it would make great propaganda

syndicalistcat

8 years ago

Submitted by syndicalistcat on April 16, 2016

I read Jumping the Line but I don't recall Bill Herrick ever saying brigadistas themselves murdered anarchists. What he does describe is a CP run cheka or political prison, which his unit commissar required him to visit, where he witnessed a young revolutionary woman shout Viva la revolucion as a Stalinist thug shot a bullet through her head. An incident that haunted him for the rest of his life & was the main reason for his break with the CP. He says the CP run cheka was murdering young revolutionaries, anarchists or POUMistas.

Black Badger

8 years ago

Submitted by Black Badger on April 17, 2016

Can we please stop referring to the Lincolns as a "brigade"? They were a battalion, part of the XV International Brigade. Calling them a "brigade" was part of the Stalinist hagiography, deliberately inflating its numerical significance. Not even wikipedia dares to call them a "brigade."

Chilli Sauce

8 years ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on April 17, 2016

I always thought David Simon was more of a social democrat. At the very least, he's at the left end of liberalism. He's soft on capitalism, obviously, but he actually talks about capitalism - which is more than I can say for most liberals.

Also, he wears a flat cap so, ya know, full prole credentials:

Sleeper

8 years ago

Submitted by Sleeper on April 17, 2016

syndicalistcat

I read Jumping the Line but I don't recall Bill Herrick ever saying brigadistas themselves murdered anarchists. What he does describe is a CP run cheka or political prison, which his unit commissar required him to visit, where he witnessed a young revolutionary woman shout Viva la revolucion as a Stalinist thug shot a bullet through her head. An incident that haunted him for the rest of his life & was the main reason for his break with the CP. He says the CP run cheka was murdering young revolutionaries, anarchists or POUMistas.

Well we can play with the words William Herrick used. I remember it being a young girl, an anarchist, who defied her communist tormentors by refusing to to go quietly and instead shouting viva la anarchy! It wasn't a prison either it was a small ad hock lock up manned by communist party members. Standing by while Spanish anarchists are dragged out and murdered in front of you. Who knows it might take you over 50 years to tell the truth...

Auld-bod

8 years ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on April 17, 2016

Just a note to say I read ‘Hermanos’ years ago. It had some good descriptions and I liked to better than Hemingway’s, ‘For Whom The Bell Tolls’, which I’ve always thought terribly over rated. Herrick’s description of the arrival of the first international volunteers, the Germans, into Madrid is memorable. Its politics if any, I’ve forgotten.

EDIT
I read recently that Hemingway’s play about civil war Madrid, ‘The Fifth Column’, is being staged. Read the play in paperback, which was just OK - with usual Ernest misogyny.