What was the last film you watched? v3

1101 posts / 0 new
Last post
David in Atlanta
Oct 17 2008 12:41
Asher wrote:
Princess Mononoke didn't really do that much for me, but Spirited Away is incredible.

Dunno if I'd say My Neighbour Totoro is a kids movie, I watched it with a bunch of other 20 - 25 year olds, and we were all enthralled and talking about it for days afterwards tongue

That's the one that convinced Le Guin to give Studio Ghibli permission to do Earthsea after refusing them for twenty years.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Oct 17 2008 14:18
Quote:
Dunno if I'd say My Neighbour Totoro is a kids movie, I watched it with a bunch of other 20 - 25 year olds, and we were all enthralled and talking about it for days afterwards

I think Totoro was intended as a kids movie (at least kids love it, or rather Totoro, in Japan), but that doesn't mean that grown ups can't enjoy it. What's good about it as a kids movie is that it fantastical and serious.

akai
Oct 18 2008 22:08

A couple of good ones:

"Heart of Fire", based on the true story of a girl who was a child solidier in Eritrea. Not too political but very strong, excellent acting and well made.

"East-West Sex Politics" documentary about the attempts to hold a gay parade in Moscow in 2006-2007. Heavy focus on legalistic, NGO activists but includes some others. At the end anarchists make an appearance. NGO political careerists look down on them.

x359594's picture
x359594
Oct 22 2008 23:57
laureakai wrote:
I don't agree with the assessment of "Battle in Seattle"... there are lots of American-made film that come down much harder on various elements of the system than this one. It was rather fluffy.

Fair enough, but the picture got qualified endorsement from some of the organizers of the WTO deomonstrations.

When you say American-made films, are you talking about major studio Hollywood or independent companies like Brave New Films and the like? What movies did you have in mind?

Zazaban
Oct 24 2008 02:07

La Haine. Words cannot describe that movie.

varlet
Oct 24 2008 13:53

Oh yes they can. I'll start with one : rubbish.

varlet
Oct 24 2008 14:03

More suddenly come rushing to my mind:
Moralizing pretentious mannered middle-class in-your-face voyeurism
I find it patronizing too.

altemark's picture
altemark
Oct 25 2008 05:49

Mysterious Skin. pedofili, trasigt amerika, UFO-bortförslar, att växa upp

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Oct 26 2008 15:22
Quote:

That sounds like a weird movie.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Oct 26 2008 15:41

Death Race, a vision of a dystopian future where a collapsed economy leads to the establishment of a prison-centred corporatist society, and which starts off with a factory shut-down leading to confrontation with the police placed as guard-dogs of an unjust industrial settlement.

Also, big guns on fast cars cool

Django's picture
Django
Oct 26 2008 16:32

Trans America.

Great acting, enjoyable enough, but with shit gender-essentialist politics.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Oct 26 2008 19:41
Quote:
Death Race, a vision of a dystopian future where a collapsed economy leads to the establishment of a prison-centred corporatist society, and which starts off with a factory shut-down leading to confrontation with the police placed as guard-dogs of an unjust industrial settlement.

Is it as good as the original?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Oct 26 2008 20:57

Dunno haven't seen it, but I'm guessing the pyrotechnics are better.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Oct 26 2008 22:32
Quote:
Dunno haven't seen it, but I'm guessing the pyrotechnics are better.

The original is awesome, featuring a very young Sly Stallone and not that silly prison stuff. You get points for running over pedestrians (bonus for families and the cripples!) and is just amazing in all its low budget glory.

David in Atlanta
Oct 27 2008 16:54
Khawaga wrote:
Quote:

That sounds like a weird movie.

Quote:
Two boys. One can't remember. The other can't forget.
Plot:
A teenage hustler and a young man obsessed with alien abductions cross paths, together discovering a horrible, liberating truth.

Sounds interesting.

Mark.
Oct 27 2008 20:31

La Zona - neighbourhood watch gets out of hand in a gated community in Mexico City - trailer

PartyBucket's picture
PartyBucket
Oct 28 2008 13:07

I watched Vanishing Point again...every time I watch it I think 'Maybe it will end differently this time', but I always end up gutted.

morven
Oct 28 2008 13:18

The last film I saw was:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/united_red_army

Fantastic example of everything that's wrong with the 'armed struggle' and the 'new left' in general with some great footage of the student struggles in Japan. Afterwards my flatmate asked me if we (the ICC) participated in self criticism. He took some convincing when I said that we didn't wink .

Anyone know of any English language books on the new left in Japan?

FC! Morven

freemind
Oct 28 2008 14:16

The last film i wtched was Thunderbolt and Lightfoot with Clint Eastwood,Jeff Bridges and George Kennedy. A 70's classic and an often overlooked film!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 1 2008 01:17

Battle in Seattle. It sucked.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Nov 1 2008 08:53

evil dead. know i know what that rapist tree is neutral

then watched the video from the ring on the dvd extras, and shit my flatmate up by discretely ringing the landline when it cut to static at the end cool

Django's picture
Django
Nov 1 2008 20:30

Evil Dead 2 is the superior film. Slapstick comedy with chainsaws, dancing zombies and rapist trees. Medieval Dead is good for a laugh, especially the sex scene and the bit where he builds a robotic hand for himself out of wood after reading a science textbook.

Watched the Shining last night.

*SPOILERS*

Scatman Crothers getting brutally and instantly pwned by Jack Nicholson after spending the entire film travelling across America to help them seemed like misplaced comedy. good film though. Especially liked the weird scene with the man in a dog suit.

David in Atlanta
Nov 1 2008 22:23

Has anyone seen Tokyo Gore Police yet?

Tree's picture
Tree
Nov 3 2008 22:43

Hunger

Not really sure what I was expecting from it.I learnt nothing new anyway. It was alright.

PartyBucket's picture
PartyBucket
Nov 5 2008 23:36

I have suggested that Organise! host a showing of Dead Mans Shoes as part of a debate on policing and justice.

freemind
Nov 11 2008 10:32

I've just watched "The Stolen Children of Franco" on Christie-Brightcove about the kids of anti-fascists who's parents were killed or imprisoned after the war and brought up and indoctrinated by Falange/Nuns.The testimony of the Mothers is heartbreaking and the children also but it's also inspiring in the resistance and fight for justice against such vile oppression displayed by the victims-a must see!

Miguel Angel Face
Nov 11 2008 23:51

Just rented two duds and a masterpiece last week: one was this fucking miserable, depressing thing Tim Roth made called The War-Zone about a family, and the Dad's secretly nailing his daughter in the ass. Don't care much for dramas to begin with, and I didn't think the subject matter was something I needed my attention drawn to, so thumbs down.

Also rented La Commune, about the Paris Commune, I'd recommend it just because it's a movie about the Paris Commune, but to be honest the way its done (it's shot in a studio, consists almost completely of interviews, and watches like a play.. ) didn't appeal to me at all.. also its almost 6 hours long.. which would've been tolerable with except it was so damn boring. Again, the subject matter alone makes it worth watching.

Finally, got the Battle of Algiers, which I'd been hearing about forever. One of the best movies I've ever seen, no question, it's very a realistic depiction of the Algerian FLN's urban-warfare campaign against the French colonial regime in the late 50s/early 60s.

All of these are on Netflix, by the way.

varlet
Nov 18 2008 12:22

Tim Roth was only ever really good in Alan Clarke's Made in Britain. A very good film that has working class life as its main subject but that is miles away from the middle-class voyeurism and mannerism of people like Mike Leigh.

I agree that at first La commune looks like its based on weird filming principles, but its a fascinating watch. I dont know if its a good film in the classical sense of the term, but i dont really care because its a brilliant watch, its informative and instructive and the result is in the end much better than what could have been a realistic rendering of the french civil war shot in a war film kind of style. Weird as they sound, the interviews dont come as a disruption but add up to the on going thinking process the actors were involved in during the film and which anyone who watches is also involved in. The filming process, the fact that it was a collective experience (the actors all read about la commune during the shooting, collective political discussions took place before, during and after the filming, etc...) makes it really worth watching. I think you can feel that when you watch the film.

Now the battle of Algiers comes as a complete contrast to that. It is definitely a war film, with realistic and aesthetic claims. Its interesting but i find annoying how the director uses violence and the expectation of the bombings to attract your attention. Its a rather poor hollywood-type device. As most realist films (it is shot as if it was a documentary, a bit of a dodgy premise too) it is voyeuristic and manipulative.
You're better off with films by Rene Vautier (the only guy on the algerian side to have filmed during the war, he helped algerian people to set up filming co-ops, workshops and a cinematheque after the independence) if you want something on the Algeria War, though i dont know if they're available in any other language than French.

Miguel Angel Face
Nov 20 2008 03:51
Quote:
Now the battle of Algiers comes as a complete contrast to that. It is definitely a war film, with realistic and aesthetic claims. Its interesting but i find annoying how the director uses violence and the expectation of the bombings to attract your attention. Its a rather poor hollywood-type device. As most realist films (it is shot as if it was a documentary, a bit of a dodgy premise too) it is voyeuristic and manipulative.
You're better off with films by Rene Vautier (the only guy on the algerian side to have filmed during the war, he helped algerian people to set up filming co-ops, workshops and a cinematheque after the independence) if you want something on the Algeria War, though i dont know if they're available in any other language than French.

Definitely a bit of oldschool hollywood voyeurism in there, but I'm a sucker for Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa too. I actually thought the violence was effective in capturing the uncompromising, morally ambiguous nature of war, a total departure from the typical war epics' mythologizing of historic events, especially in that era. I thought the climate of tension was captured perfectly, the violence wasn't explicit, it was, you know.. subdued in that early 60s style, but at the same it was extremely potent in context. Definitely made with entertainment in mind, but it really drops the colonial struggle right in your lap.

Boris Badenov
Nov 21 2008 14:59
nico wrote:
Tim Roth was only ever really good in Alan Clarke's Made in Britain. A very good film that has working class life as its main subject but that is miles away from the middle-class voyeurism and mannerism of people like Mike Leigh.

How the hell is Naked middle-class voyeurism?
Agreed about Tim Roth, with the possible exception of Vincent & Theo.