"the guillotine at work" doubt - translation Eng-Spanish in progress...

Submitted by Amadeus on May 5, 2017

IWMA is the IWA?
in the book the guillotine at work by gregory petrovich maximoff you can see he wrote about an International Workingmens Association... but is that he refers to International Workers Association?
Maximoff wrote:
" ... Those bulletins are the following: a) “Bulletin of the Joint Committee for the Defence of Revolutionists
imprisoned in Russia”, Berlin. I925; b) “Bulletin of the Relief Fund of the I. W. M. A. for Anarchists
and Anarcho-Syndicalists, imprisoned or exiled in Russia,” Berlin, 1926-32; c) “The International
Workingmen’s Ass’n Russian Aid Fund ”, 1932, and a few others. ... "

Link: https://libcom.org/…/The-Guillotine-at-Work-Vol-1-The-Lenin…
P. 23 (autors preface)

syndicalist

6 years 10 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by syndicalist on May 5, 2017

Amadeus

IWMA is the IWA?
in the book the guillotine at work by gregory petrovich maximoff you can see he wrote about an International Workingmens Association... but is that he refers to International Workers Association?
Maximoff wrote:
" ... Those bulletins are the following: a) “Bulletin of the Joint Committee for the Defence of Revolutionists
imprisoned in Russia”, Berlin. I925; b) “Bulletin of the Relief Fund of the I. W. M. A. for Anarchists
and Anarcho-Syndicalists, imprisoned or exiled in Russia,” Berlin, 1926-32; c) “The International
Workingmen’s Ass’n Russian Aid Fund ”, 1932, and a few others. ... "

Link: https://libcom.org/…/The-Guillotine-at-Work-Vol-1-The-Lenin…
P. 23 (actors preface)

Yes and yes.

The name of the 1922 reconstructed International is the International Workingmen's Association
(IWMA).

When we started to get active with the "AIT" in the 1970s, it was still called, in english, the IWMA. With the influx of (then) younger (and more english speaking) comrades we kind of stopped calling it the IWMA and started simply referring to it as the IWA, International Workers Association. At some, I believe, point the IWMA was officially dropped and is referred to as the IWA. And has been for a long time.

Spanish speaking comrades still refer to the AIT as the AIT.

Amadeus

6 years 10 months ago

thanks!

Karetelnik

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Karetelnik on May 5, 2017

Just to clarify, G. P. Maximoff did not write in English, so anything you find by him in English is a translation. In Russian, the name of the anarcho-syndicalist International, Mezhdunarodnaya assotsiatsiya trudyashchikhsya, is not gender-specific and translates as "International Workers' Association."

OliverTwister

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by OliverTwister on May 5, 2017

Karetelnik

Just to clarify, G. P. Maximoff did not write in English, so anything you find by him in English is a translation. In Russian, the name of the anarcho-syndicalist International, Mezhdunarodnaya assotsiatsiya trudyashchikhsya, is not gender-specific and translates as "International Workers' Association."

Didn't he write The Program of Anarchosyndicalism in English, or was that a translation?

Karetelnik

6 years 10 months ago

OliverTwister wrote:

Didn't he write The Program of Anarchosyndicalism in English, or was that a translation?

According to the original 1952 edition, "The Program of Anarchosyndicalism" was translated by Ada Siegel (daughter of the famous Left SR I. N. Steinberg).

The fact that some of Maximoff's works were published only in English has had an unfortunate effect on the development of contemporary Russian anarchism/anarchosyndicalism. The first half of "The Guillotine at Work" is only now in the process of being published in Russian (from Maximoff's original manuscript).

syndicalist

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by syndicalist on May 5, 2017

It has long been my understanding that Maximoff wrote in Russian. His writings were then translated into English. Not sure if Dolgoff specifically mentions this in his "Fragments
autobiography (on-line here on lib com). For sure, I heard Dolgoff say that Maximoff only learned "working english" (my phrase) once he came to the US.

Amadeus

6 years 10 months ago

great! thanks for your help! maybe I will come back here in the process of this translation and, for sure, in order to share the book (pdf, etc)

Karetelnik

6 years 10 months ago

During his emigration years 1922–1949, Maximoff is known to have published 239 articles in five Russian-language journals (three of which he edited himself). Almost none of this material is available in English (nor is it readily accessible in Russian).