How old is Capitalism?

Submitted by Sleeper on December 11, 2015

Obviously the answer is not very old at all when you look at us humans.

However I'm thinking 1600 and something. How about you?

Khawaga

8 years 4 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Khawaga on December 11, 2015

Yeah, I'd say it really started to accelerate mid-17th century.

Sleeper

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Sleeper on December 12, 2015

Ok so we are anchoring capitalism, or at least the growth of capitalism, somewhere in the 1600's / C17. Anyone disagree or can be more precise?

bastarx

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on December 12, 2015

I'm far from an expert but some historians believe capitalism got off to an abortive start in 14th century Italy. The revolt of the Ciompi in Florence from 1378 to 1382 is sometimes said to have resulted in capitalism not taking off properly in Italy then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciompi_Revolt

ajjohnstone

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by ajjohnstone on December 12, 2015

Much earlier if we see this variant as an expression of capitalism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_capitalism

So what we call Industrial capitalism can be described as a different development developing later.

We might talk of the capitalist revolutions as their beginnings ...English Civil War...French Revolution...Russian Revolution...

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by James MacBryde on December 27, 2015

12,000 years ago

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

Khawaga writes:

...I'd say it really started to accelerate mid-17th century.

This does not answer the question.

Khawaga

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on December 27, 2015

Because there is no answer to the question. It's not like capitalism was a clear break from feudalism. It developed slowly and then accelerated. The preconditions for capitalism existed for a long time prior to the commodity becoming the dominant economic unit.

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

The next question is where did it first occur?

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

The preconditions for capitalism existed for a long time prior to the commodity becoming the dominant economic unit.

What do you mean by the 'preconditions for capitalism'? Original Sin?

S. Artesian

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by S. Artesian on December 27, 2015

James MacBryde

The next question is where did it first occur?

Brenner makes a pretty good argument for England, and that the fundamental relations-- separation between "producers" and the "means of production" (in this case the means of agricultural production) is well-established in the 1600s.

I think what is really at issue, is not where or when did it first occur, but where did it first become dominant, "self-reproducing" as production of, for, and by value.

Khawaga

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on December 27, 2015

What do you mean by the 'preconditions for capitalism'? Original Sin?

I'm not sure I am that bothered with answering questions that are not posed in good faith. Typical of your behaviour on libcom.

mikail firtinaci

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by mikail firtinaci on December 28, 2015

It depends on what you mean by capitalism. Capitalist trade, trade of commodities for the sake of acquiring a surplus out of it certainly started many many centuries ago. A whole nation bend on this developed first probably in Netherlands in late 1500s during the republican period. However the transformation of the production processes itself in a massive scale, to the extend that peasantry (which was hitherto the bulk of productive element in society) was liquidated and transformed into proletariat began in Britain and spread to Europe and the US in the 19th century. This is when we can start talking about a global transition from a formal domination to a real domination of capital in the sphere of production.

I think historically the main problem causing this temporal uncertainty about clear dates is that Bourgeoisie as a class did well enough for long as an economically powerful but politically incapable class. Nevertheless in many countries bourgeoisie came to power or took its share from the state rule before a transition from a formal to real domination in the productive sphere occurred. In fact in countries like Germany and Russia bourgeois parties were excluded from power while there was industrial development -at least definitely in the former case.

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by James MacBryde on December 28, 2015

I think what is really at issue, is not where or when did it first occur

I think what is at issue here is where, when and how Capitalism first occurred. My contention is it first occurred in Mesopotamia, 12,000 years ago, through the innovation of dam building.

Your comrade, under heavy manners, James

Auld-bod

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on December 28, 2015

James MacBryde #14

What definition of capitalism are you using?

Entdinglichung

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on December 28, 2015

the German Marxist scholar Rudolf Wolfgang Müller wrote in the 1970ies a study which traced some elements of bourgeois society and statehood already in the Greek polis society around 600-500 BCE: http://www.prokla.de/wp/wp-content/uploads/1975/Prokla17-18.pdf (pp. 1-25,in German) ... Ernest Mandel saw some more developed aspects of industrial capitalism in Sung dynasty China (960-1279) which weren't however hegemonic

S. Artesian

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by S. Artesian on December 28, 2015

But of course elements, incidents, expressions of capitalism can be traced to pre-capitalist societies. The word itself comes from the Latin for "cattle" doesn't it? And cattle were the means of exchange in many societies, including those in Africa, well before the 14th century in Italy, or the 16th century in England.

And it's not for nothing, and no accident, that Aristotle comes so very close to understanding exchange value.

But to talk about capitalism existing in a society where agriculture dominated, and subsistence agriculture at that, because dams were built, grain exchanged, really empties the term of meaning.

Chilli Sauce

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on December 28, 2015

Examples of wage labor can, of course, be traced back millennia - even most slave-based societies, if you dig under the surface, were intertwined with wage labor to some extent. But to talk of capitalism, wage labor needs to be the dominant (or at least ascendant) social relation, no?

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by James MacBryde on December 30, 2015

Auld-bold asked:

James MacBryde #14

What definition of capitalism are you using?

I define Capitalism as the existence of alienated labour and it's counterpart, exploitation; and, of course, the existence of capital (in my contention, in the first instance, the dam – a means of production, privately owned/controlled). History (not written history but the history embodied in cultivated seeds [from Harlan, 1971]) records that these existed 12,000 years ago in an area (a Capital, more precisely) analogous with modern Kurdistan.

What caused it to occur is as much a mystery to me as how life was created on Earth. If anyone can enlighten me I'd be grateful. What causes it to cease to exist, from my experience, is our class violence.

Chilli Sauce

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on December 30, 2015

James MacBryde

I define Capitalism as the existence of alienated labour and it's counterpart, exploitation;

Clearly, though, these things also existed within feudalism and slavery - or do you consider those things capitalism, too?

the existence of capital (in my contention, in the first instance, the dam – a means of production, privately owned/controlled).

Is it capital, though, of the sense of money being invested in order to make more money?

S. Artesian

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by S. Artesian on December 31, 2015

Is it capital in the sense of the organization of labor as dispossessed, detached, of all means of its own reproduction and thus value-producing; having no use value to its "owner" other than as a value to be exchanged for a value equivalent to the means of subsistence?

syndicalistcat

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by syndicalistcat on December 31, 2015

Yeh it depends on how you define capitalism. I tend to agree with Brenner & those in his camp that there are certain class dynamics that separates capitalism from previous class-divided schemes.

The dispossession of producers from an ability to secure an independent livelihood & being forced to seek employment from employers is critical. It generates in capitalism the dynamic where capital always aims to reduce its labor bill through re-organization & new methods & technologies that reduce labor to produce things, that is, which increases labor productivity continuously.

This means a slave system isn't capitalist because the owners of the slaves are not interested in getting rid of labor...they're committed to maintaining the slave as a means of production.

If we were talking about USA, I don't think capitalism came to exist here til the early 1800s in the northern states. Prior to the war for independence, most of the population were able to live through peasant style agriculture, producing for own subsistence. They bartered with local merchants & each other for goods & were largely independent of the money economy.

The southern states continued to maintain a semi-feudal slave regime of course until it was destroyed in the civil war.

Sleeper

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Sleeper on January 5, 2016

Hi I appreciate I sort of left this thread alone to develop and I think it really has. I've only read a couple of posts and this is my reply so far for what it's worth :-)

This idea of merchant capitalism in the 12th Century or even earlier doesn't really ring true. I think we as humans have tried and developed many ways to trade or swap things to our mutual benefit. And of course there have been attempts to force things upon ordinary people, but sheer numbers, and intelligence, have ensured that they haven't been allowed to continue

I think it was with industrialisation that capitalism was invented as a concept and enforced by private police forces. It lead to the forced movement of people to centres or large towns and cities in order to survive as they were forced off the small parcels of land that allowed at least a peasant existence for many.

slothjabber

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by slothjabber on January 9, 2016

I think that 'inventing capitalism as a concept' necessarily came after 'practising capitalism in fact'.

If - and it's not the only definition - capitalism is the production of commodities through wage labour, then we can see it existing in embryo in Ancient Greece and Rome, and in the European Middle Ages - in a tiny way.

These were never capable of transforming the over-riding economic conditions however. We can distinguish I think 'capitalism as behaviour' (individual entrepreneurs owning pottery-production workshops for example, or merchants trading stock from one port to another using money as a medium of exchange), which goes back maybe 2,500 years, and 'capitalism as a system' (wage-labour and commodity-production being the economically-dominant forms) that emerged in the last 400 years.

But it's only after these practises emerged that people identified them. They didn't start from a blueprint of 'capitalism as an idea'.