What was the last film you watched? part 4

201 posts / 0 new
Last post
zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Dec 15 2018 01:28

Been watching Nosferatu on and off. Anyone got any good older movies (non-Hitchcock because i've seen most of his stuff)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC6jFoYm3xs

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Dec 16 2018 07:51

Thought Sorry to Bother You was a bit too on the nose/cheesy. Some of the dialogue was painful to sit through (the sign twirling scene with "Squeeze" in particular). Some parts were funny and others weren't. It was all a bit too over the top for me. Still it was surprising to see all the attention/air time Riley and this got (maybe because of the cast.).

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Dec 16 2018 13:15

zugzwang

Have you seen any of the following?

Magnolia(pretty long and harrowing, but truly magnificent)
Harold and Maude
Barfly
The Midnight Cowboy

I could easily think of more but if there are any of these you haven’t seen it’s pointless me straining my brain and bombarding you with options.
All the suggested films have great dialogue and fantastic acting but the acting in Magnolia is virtuoso stuff and the many storylines are compelling as fuck. I really think it’s one of the best films ever made.

Fleur
Offline
Joined: 21-02-12
Dec 16 2018 16:11

If you like old movies, you might want to check out John Huston. He did good noir, The Maltese Falcon, Asphalt Jungle, The Treasure of Sierra Madre is fantastic, The Misfits is beautiful heartbreaking.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Offline
Joined: 9-07-11
Dec 16 2018 16:36

Half a dozen classic ‘old’ movies:

The Kid (USA, 1921), Charlie Chaplin’s comic genius.
The Philadelphia Story (USA, 1940), all-star line-up with witty screenplay.
I’ll Be Seeing You (USA, 1944), moving story, showing Ginger Rogers could act (no dancing or singing).
Wild Strawberries (Sweden, 1957), Ingmar Bergman’s best movie I think - not too dark, and for him optimistic.
The Red & The White (Hungary/USSR, 1967), Miklos Jancso’s take on the chaos of the Russian civil war.
The Last Picture Show (USA, 1971), try and see Bogdanovich’s director’s cut.

Fleur
Offline
Joined: 21-02-12
Dec 16 2018 16:54

Also High Noon, a Christmas classic. (You have to be British of a certain age to get that.)

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Dec 17 2018 13:36

Will look into all these, thanks all (don't think I've seen any of them). Oh and someone uploaded Sorry to Bother you on YT, will probably be up for a short while before being taken down, if anyone wants to see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-7kI36Yync

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Offline
Joined: 9-02-06
Dec 19 2018 22:43

I second the Misfits.
M by Fritz Lang
Murder by Contract - Irving LErner

It depends what you mean by old.

Martin - George Romero
Le Samourai - Jean-Pierre Melville
L'appartement - Gilles Mimouni.
Diabolique - Clouzot?

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Dec 20 2018 11:55
Noah Fence wrote:
zugzwang

Have you seen any of the following?

Magnolia(pretty long and harrowing, but truly magnificent)
Harold and Maude
Barfly
The Midnight Cowboy

I could easily think of more but if there are any of these you haven’t seen it’s pointless me straining my brain and bombarding you with options.
All the suggested films have great dialogue and fantastic acting but the acting in Magnolia is virtuoso stuff and the many storylines are compelling as fuck. I really think it’s one of the best films ever made.

The Harold and Maude movie was pretty funny. I could've done without all the Cat Stevens though. I liked the beach "protest" and questionnaire scenes.

jef costello wrote:
It depends what you mean by old.

Maybe no more silent movies, kind of like the development of audio in films (still haven't finished Nosferatu)... I don't really mind though.

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Dec 22 2018 06:53

https://www.nkmillennials.com

juliatom543
Offline
Joined: 27-12-18
Dec 27 2018 06:24

I watched the Nun

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Dec 29 2018 12:22

Anyone seen the The Young Karl Marx? Remember seeing this post about it.

MortSahlFan
Offline
Joined: 31-12-18
Dec 31 2018 22:44

"The Battle of Algiers"

Method of Freedom's picture
Method of Freedom
Offline
Joined: 17-02-17
Jan 1 2019 11:48

I have seen young marx and remember thinking it was okay

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Jan 6 2019 02:44

https://nplusonemag.com/online-only/online-only/how-asia-got-crazy-rich/

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Offline
Joined: 17-08-12
Jan 15 2019 15:42

Thoroughbreds - fun, short psychological thriller.

Black Panther - this one is the MCU's best reviewed film. It's definitely worth seeing if your interested in comic book movies.

Roma - I don't love it, but it's definitely interesting. Lots of longish tracking shots. That is to be expected, since it is directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Best reviewed film of 2018 according to metacritic.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Offline
Joined: 4-01-12
Jan 16 2019 06:48

The Senator, apparently its called Chappaquidick in the US. I was expecting a fluff piece given how much mainstream America seems to love the Kennedys, but I was in for a shock.

I was amazed at how loathsome and scummy they depict him, his family and network of friends. I genuinely started hating the guy, Jason Clarke is an amazing actor, I spent the movie just wanting more and more to hit the narcissistic toady.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Offline
Joined: 17-08-12
Jan 16 2019 17:30
Reddebrek wrote:
I saw Netflix added Full Metal Jacket and figured why not complete the Nam trilogy? I didn't really care for it, I know its regarded as heresy to not like a Kubrick film but its easily the least of his films that I've seen.

You mean your not one of those folks who thinks each and every one of Kubrick's films is a masterpiece? Seriously, those folks could be annoying at times when discussion of his filmography comes up. If you look through reddit, you could find some of his fans who argue how anti-imperialist Full Metal Jacket is. But that doesn't really boost how important this film is or should be. It's a good film, but it's not great. In certain parts, it is kinda boring.

Another film of his that is just good, but not great is The Shining. The film fails as a horror film. It just isn't scary. The film's self conscious camerawork brings too much attention to the film's style. But despite it not providing any scares, it is always interesting to watch and performances are enjoyable, and funny at times.

The last film of his that I have seen is The Killing. Once again, considered by many to be a great film, or at least classic in its genre. I just find myself disagreeing. The way the plot unfolded, plus the narration, undermined the suspense. I might have it give it a second watch.

My assessment of A Clockwork Orange is similar to what I wrote above for The Shining, except I didn't find it to be always interesting from beginning to end. While I found some sequences in the film to be visually mesmerizing, the camerawork here has the same fault, if not more so, as in The Shining. Overall, this one had me checking the time and didn't leave much of an impression.

The only films of his that live up to the hype of his reputation are Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, and 2001: A Space Odyssey. All three are consistently entertaining. I think Paths of Glory shows him at his most restraint. Dr. Strangelove was really funny in my opinion. And 2001 is probably his defining work.

Oh, I almost forgot Spartacus; such a dull and mediocre film, I can't believe it was made by Kubrick. I turned this one off a half hour, maybe an hour in, and never bothered to finish it. Yet it's on many film enthusiasts list of best films of all time.

And that pretty much sums up all of what I've from him thus far. There are six films remaining in his filmography that I have to watch. Kubrick definitely deserves to be discussed if your a film buff. According to the website They Shoot Pictures, Don't They, he's the third most acclaimed filmmaker of all time. I'm not sure he deserves that status though.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Offline
Joined: 7-08-06
Jan 16 2019 18:40
Quote:
Another film of his that is just good, but not great is The Shining. The film fails as a horror film. It just isn't scary. The film's self conscious camerawork brings too much attention to the film's style. But despite it not providing any scares, it is always interesting to watch and performances are enjoyable, and funny at times.

I found that film to be so underwhelming, likely due to how much it was hyped-up. I was expecting to be scared witless (I was in my early teens when I first watched it), but just found it tedious. Watched it again much later and found it even more tedious, though I could at least appreciate the cinematography and acting.

Method of Freedom's picture
Method of Freedom
Offline
Joined: 17-02-17
Jan 22 2019 02:04

the first half of full metal jacket is much better than the last, really surprised by the shinning comments it's my favorite Kubrick film with fantastic acting by Shelley Duvall, If I remember correctly Spartacus was studio film where Kubrick replaced another director after production has started so I would not count it as Kubrick film but has a good ending which you might want to checkout, fear and desire his first movie is not good and I found Barry lyndon to be boring I have seen every kubrick movie once if that maters

Agent Of The International wrote:
I saw Netflix added Full Metal Jacket and figured why not complete the Nam trilogy? I didn't really care for it, I know its regarded as heresy to not like a Kubrick film but its easily the least of his films that I've seen.

how do you feel about the top 2 (Hitchcock (1) WELLES(2)) ? I feel WELLES adaption of the kafa's the trial is underrated

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Jan 22 2019 10:39
Quote:
My assessment of A Clockwork Orange is similar to what I wrote above for The Shining, except I didn't find it to be always interesting from beginning to end. While I found some sequences in the film to be visually mesmerizing, the camerawork here has the same fault, if not more so, as in The Shining. Overall, this one had me checking the time and didn't leave much of an impression.

I would go much further, this film is truly awful. I don’t think a film based on a book has to slavishly adhere to it's source, in fact I can see that it can be very difficult to do so, but the changes should be for a purpose, or at least not explode the whole premise of the original.
Firstly, the film is based on the American publication of the book which is a big fat fuck up in itself. That publication(which by now I hope has been rectified?) is missing the whole third, and concluding section of the book! I mean, in what universe is that a good idea? So on that alone the film is set to fail. However, the problems don’t end there, far from it - key scenes are altered in such a way as to remove the teeth from the entire story. The sex scene with the two young women which Kubrick has made into something out of Benny fucking Hill is supposed to be the brutal rape of two 10 or 11 year old girls, and for some reason that presumably only the skewed logic of Kubrick can explain, the accidental death of a senile old woman in her own home is transformed into the bludgeoning to death of a gratuitously ‘sexy’ looking forty something with a giant fucking penis in an art gallery! I mean, what the actual fuck???
Then there’s the casting - a vital part of the story is that these are supposed to be 14-15 year old boys, and that Alex is a small, slight, and vivacious, young looking one at that, he is mostly referred to as ‘little Alex’ in the book, instead we get a clumsy, plug ugly fucking oaf of a 28 year old playing his part! Jesus, my palm seems to have developed a magnetic attraction to my face just thinking about it!
As for the language, in the book it comes across as fluid, credible and very amusing. Once again the film makes a real dog’s dinner of it and it just sounds daft.
Really, any changes, however far from the original, could be justified if the end result was something of any appeal or value, but apart from some of the visual aspects, comparing the book with this film is like comparing a Michelin star dinner with a pot noodle!

Edit: In case I don’t make my self clear, a giant penis is used to bludgeon the ‘sexy’ forty something to death, I didn’t mean that a forty something with a giant penis was bludgeoned to death with some unspecified blunt instrument. If it was the case that she had a giant penis, she would indeed, have been ‘sexy’.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Jan 22 2019 08:30

And while I’m mining the ‘things that are supposed to be great are actually a steaming great pile of horse manure’ vein, I’ll mention a film that has been recommended to me by several people - Captain Fantastic. In short, there was not a believable moment in the entire film - shallow characters portrayed by wooden actors in a wholly predictable and corny(not in a good way) plot. Two hours of my rapidly diminishing life that I’ll never get back.

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Jan 22 2019 13:36
Method of Freedom wrote:
how do you feel about the top 2 (Hitchcock (1) WELLES(2)) ? I feel WELLES adaption of the kafa's the trial is underrated

I saw the Trial adaptation after seeing Perkins in the Psycho series (which got worse with every additional movie imo), was pretty good stuff if I recall. I read most of Kafka's short stories and novels in my teens; think maybe his "Hunger Artist" was my favorite short story (probably have to be sufficiently introverted and "angsty" to appreciate his stuff). I wasn't aware at the time but Kafka also had libsoc leanings as it turns out. There's also a German-language film based off The Castle but I never saw that.

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Jan 22 2019 13:24
Noah Fence wrote:
And while I’m mining the ‘things that are supposed to be great are actually a steaming great pile of horse manure’ vein, I’ll mention a film that has been recommended to me by several people - Captain Fantastic. In short, there was not a believable moment in the entire film - shallow characters portrayed by wooden actors in a wholly predictable and corny(not in a good way) plot. Two hours of my rapidly diminishing life that I’ll never get back.

It wasn't that bad, I don't think. I'd probably put it in the same category as Sorry to Bother You; both have some awful and unconvincing dialogue. If I remember I think they went a little overboard with the Chomsky references (and then Noam Chomsky Day...).

I'd like to see Rahul Jain's Machines doc/film at some point, if I can find it.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Jan 22 2019 14:47

Noah Fence wrote

Quote:
and for some reason that presumably only the skewed logic of Kubrick can explain, the accidental death of a senile old woman in her own home is transformed into the bludgeoning to death of a gratuitously ‘sexy’ looking forty something with a giant fucking penis in an art gallery! I mean, what the actual fuck???

Lol, I haven’t seen the film for years so I thought I’d check this scene - I got my facts a little wrong but the criticism still stands, the changes to this scene(and many others) totally abandon the original narrative, to the great detriment of the story.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Offline
Joined: 17-08-12
Jan 22 2019 20:18
Method of Freedom wrote:
how do you feel about the top 2 (Hitchcock (1) WELLES(2)) ? I feel WELLES adaption of the kafa's the trial is underrated

I'm fine with the top two. There's not really much to complain about there. I've seen quite a bit of Hitchcock; I found Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, and North by Northwest to be his most enjoyable flicks. Those are obviously considered among his best. I haven't seen much of Welles unfortunately. I did see Citizen Kane quite a long time ago. And like yourself, I enjoyed The Trial, although I don't think it was an exceptional piece of film making. I think the story was strong enough to keep me engaged throughout.

Here's the link to They Shoot Pictures, Don't They's Top 250 most acclaimed directors of all time for others who are probably too lazy to find it themselves.

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Jan 25 2019 13:27
Method of Freedom wrote:
I have seen young marx and remember thinking it was okay

Yeah I'm almost finished with it, it's okay. I guess one could nitpick at stuff; the one scene where Marx was arguing for "fair wages" doesn't seem right. They got the chess boards set up correctly however, which a lot of movies struggle with. I don't really see why the chess cliches were needed to establish them as "classy intellectuals" though (bit silly that some people associate chess knowledge with knowledge of non-chess-related things).

Method of Freedom's picture
Method of Freedom
Offline
Joined: 17-02-17
Jan 25 2019 15:01
zugzwang wrote:
Method of Freedom wrote:
I have seen young marx and remember thinking it was okay

Yeah I'm almost finished with it, it's okay. I guess one could nitpick at stuff; the one scene where Marx was arguing for "fair wages" doesn't seem right. They got the chess boards set up correctly however, which a lot of movies struggle with. I don't really see why the chess cliches were needed to establish them as "classy intellectuals" though (bit silly that some people associate chess knowledge with knowledge of non-chess-related things).

I think the movie would be much better if it would take a later period, either in the German revolution of 48 or in the international

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Jan 25 2019 16:13

Not sure if this is a real game or not by Marx

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1278768

rat's picture
rat
Offline
Joined: 16-10-03
Jan 26 2019 09:56

Good post by Noah Fence on A Clockwork Orange.

Have you seen Kubrick's first film The Day of the Fight?