Indymedia UK closes for good

Submitted by Rob Ray on May 3, 2017

Without much fuss, due to lack of useage. They're keeping the archive up, much of which could stand to be mirrored as it holds some of the only proper reporting of some of the biggest events in UK anarchism in the noughties, in among the crank nonsense and pointless bunfights.

Jim

6 years 11 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Jim on May 4, 2017

End of an era, while it was certainly shit for more than a decade it was a big influence on my political activity in the early noughties.

Serge Forward

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on May 4, 2017

Quite sad really. It was dead good in the early days until it became the website of choice for assorted conspiracy nuts, fash spammers and trolls.

Khawaga

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on May 4, 2017

Yeah, this is both sad and "about time". I read Indymedia daily back when it was still good, then less and less as the conspiracy nutters started taking over. End of an era indeed.

el psy congroo

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by el psy congroo on May 6, 2017

Similar trends happening everywhere. Have to wonder if monopolies like AK press and others have had any influence?

Khawaga

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on May 6, 2017

I don't think AK or PM has anything to do with it. Apples and oranges. Print and Online.

Indymedia UK was shit already back in 2002-3 due to absolutely atrocious moderation policy. And Indymedia was a creature of the anti-globalization movement. Its fortunes seemed to wane with that, Though I know that quite a few local indymedia projects fell apart due to infighting among mods.

Steven.

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on May 6, 2017

el psy congroo

Similar trends happening everywhere. Have to wonder if monopolies like AK press and others have had any influence?

what on earth are you talking about? Firstly AK Press isn't a monopoly by any stretch of the imagination, secondly how do you think a book publisher would have any effect on a website?

But yeah, echo people's comments that it is about time. But Indymedia was a great idea, albeit flawed with its free for all publishing. It meant that loads of the content was shite. However it did get me into the idea of writing news and creating my own media. Indymedia was the first platform I wrote for, and if it weren't for it, and its message of "don't hate the media, be the media", I kind of think a lot of us who have created our own media project since then might not have done so, or at least might not have done so as early on as we did.

Serge Forward

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on May 6, 2017

Interesting that the indymedia.org site's rolling feed still gets updates though the news bit hasn't been updated in a while.

Anarcho

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Anarcho on May 17, 2017

el psy congroo

How the hell is AK Press a "monopoly"? And how could a co-operative book publisher have an impact on a website? Anyways, they have better things to do -- like getting books published.