One in four surveyed Japanese workers admits to wanting to kill boss

Submitted by Lucky Black Cat on June 24, 2018

https://japantoday.com/category/national/one-in-four-surveyed-japanese-workers-admits-to-wanting-to-kill-boss-osaka-quake-helps-show-why?

1,006 men and women ranging in age from 20 to 69 were asked:

“Have you ever wanted to kill your boss?”

A whopping 27 percent of those surveyed answered “yes“, meaning over one in four respondents have felt the stirrings of homicidal urges – most likely brought on by unfair business practices.

First of all... (☉_☉) !!!

Second of all, makes me wonder what the workers' movement's like in Japan.

I've heard plenty of Japanese workers feel loyal towards the company they work for, so that mos def inhibits class struggle. Same goes with a widespread belief that authority should be treated with respect. (These are of course generalizations about cultural tendencies.) But if 1 in 4 have had homicidal thoughts... that's alotta untapped rage that could be channeled into strikes and so on.

Lucky Black Cat

5 years 10 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Lucky Black Cat on June 24, 2018

Also, who's idea was it to do this survey?! lmao XD

Edit:

Some fun comments about this article I found on reddit, all with plenty of upvotes:

That's it?

The key word here is ADMITS.

Alternate title: Survey Confirms Japan Has the Best Bosses

3 our of 4 Japanese like their boss enough to not murder them!

jef costello

5 years 10 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on June 24, 2018

My favourite workplace survey from Better off Ted.

Not sure if that rage is channeled very well, link on the ame page says 1 in 4 japanese office workers has cried in the toilets.

I'd like to think Japan is rpie for revolution, maybe it is, but I never trust a survey where I can't see all the questions and the methodology, they are very easy to manipulate.

edit: just realised what a buzzkill this post is, sorry.

Noah Fence

5 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 24, 2018

Lucky Black Cat

I would like to draw your attention to the following...

...I never trust a survey where I can't see all the questions and the methodology, they are very easy to manipulate.

The validity of JC’s maxim cannot possibly be overstated!

wojtek

5 years 10 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on June 25, 2018

I assume they would tidy the scene up afterwards too. There must be a few badass films out there based on this ...

An Affirming Flame

5 years 10 months ago

Submitted by An Affirming Flame on June 25, 2018

No attempt to tidy up afterwards, but this still is a great movie.

Bright Future

Lucky Black Cat

5 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Lucky Black Cat on June 25, 2018

LOL, no problem, Jef Costello. You're just keeping it real.

Lucky Black Cat

5 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Lucky Black Cat on June 25, 2018

An Affirming Flame -- oooh, that does seem good :)

wojtek

5 years 10 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on June 26, 2018

Why do many Japanese movies focus on school students?

Lucky Black Cat

5 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Lucky Black Cat on July 3, 2018

I'm not familiar with Japanese movies so I can't say if it's more or less, but aren't there a shit ton of American movies about high school students?

I think teens are a big movie-goer demographic, and they might not find movies about adults so relatable. But adults can find movies about teens relatable since we've all been there.

That's my best guess!

Mike Harman

5 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on July 3, 2018

There's a particular genre of 'high school gang' films, usually based on teen street gangs (sometimes Yakuza-linked) - the Crows Zero series is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31AcSXFvgqk

It's a bit like the Warriors I guess?

There's also a lot of 'inspiring teacher' films, especially where ex-yakuza or street gang people get jobs as teachers and turn out to be great.

I don't know exactly where it comes from, but Crows Zero at least seems like it must have been inspired by the Zengakuren (but depoliticised).

Also a lot of films start out as Manga, which is a different pipeline to a lot of US films. Also not really sure how much teen TV there is in terms of live action stuff as opposed to anime (Buffy and similar equivalents), so the films might compensate for that - if there really are comparatively more, which I'm not sure about.

jef costello

5 years 9 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on July 4, 2018

Is there also an effect due to the selection of what to translate and release?
I remember our French assistant literally burtsting out laughing when we said French films were sophisticated and artistic, because none of the crappy comedies got translated, so we had a completely different view of what the French film industry produced. A bit like a foreigner might assume The British industry only makes romcoms and historical films and not know how many endless hooligan/gangster films the British industry churns out every year.