Prison Officers in "Illegal" Strike

Submitted by ajjohnstone on November 15, 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/nov/15/uk-prison-officers-stage-protest-over-health-and-safety-fears

A high court hearing is under way to hear the government’s request for an injunction to force the prison officers to end their demonstration over the soaring levels of violence in jails.

Workers in uniform?

cactus9

7 years 5 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by cactus9 on November 16, 2016

I don't know that I'd go down the workers in uniform path too much, the prison system in the UK and I think in many other countries, even the entire justice system is so fundamentally sick and broken that it needs radical reform. The inequalities of demographics in prison are so stark and shocking as are many other things about the prison system.

I would not necessarily support the prison officers through the workers in uniform route/ theory (like the army I don't have much sympathy for people who join I'm afraid) so much as agree with them that the prison system is broken and badly needs fixing for the benefit of all involved and society.

cactus9

7 years 5 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by cactus9 on November 16, 2016

To add a concession to the workers in uniform aspect of it, from what I have read these strikes are not purely self interested, I think they are striking about the state of the prison service in general over and above how it affects prison officers.