The WWP is splitting

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Feb 6 2019 17:36
Reddebrek wrote:
A Maoist group in Texas Red Guards Austin (who I thought had disbanded but I guess not)

They probably wanted to go under the radar so they could hoard grain for Peoples War, or so they could get the drop on some unsuspecting sparrows that were eating a hardworking Texan peasants grain or something. Maoists are bizarre.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
May 16 2019 09:49
Reddebrek wrote:
Yeah I've seen that doing the rounds. Its good that a large percentage of the membership of such a group are willing to walk over sexual harassment,

But that letter in particular was written by someone whose been very active in many harassment campaigns themselves, dredging up identifying information of critics and assumed critics. Hopefully this is the start of the turning of a new leaf, but certain passages in that letter don't give me much hope.

Bit of an update, the author of the medium article recently started posting images from dating apps of people she's fallen out with, so it looks like the online harassment and exposing of personal information continues.

Also apparently there are now accusations that she raised ten thousand dollars apparently for cancer treatment, and then took the money and moved to Europe. https://twitter.com/genefriendby/status/1128881747058417666?s=21

Its a bit hard to get details, partly because the online members/supporters of the PSL, WWP and its splinters are currently embroiled in a number of other strange scandals and feuds. This seems to be what the WWP/PSL is about nowadays.

R Totale's picture
R Totale
May 16 2019 18:34

I just had a look into that world and I feel like I'm trying to catch up on a very long-running, very bizarre soap opera when I've not watched an episode for about six months. I've still never seen an episode of GoT, but I imagine watching the series finale and trying to guess everything that's gone on so far would probably be slightly less taxing and dramatic than trying to catch up with the world of online tank beef.

Mike Harman
Jan 31 2020 12:41

A few of the younger members of the Communist Party of Canada, (including one of their better known members at least on twitter, Clara Sorrenti) just publicly resigned. Explicitly citing lack of internationalism (i.e. support for the Chinese state) as one of the reasons they resigned.

The CPC is closest to the WWP/PSL in the US and the CPGB-ML in the UK.

As always very happy to see individuals get out of the worst possible groups, and hopefully help other people find things to do other than join them as well as finding a better trajectory themselves. No long-form written statement that I've seen yet.

sherbu-kteer's picture
sherbu-kteer
Feb 1 2020 10:13

In other Stalinist news, the Communist Party of Australia had a split last year, with some shearing off to create the creatively named Australian Communist Party. From what I can tell the differences were more personal/organisational as opposed to strictly ideological, it had something to do with the soup kitchen programme they run and a group of young people around the (now former gen. sec. Bob Briton), but I did see some comments on reddit from members on both sides mentioning extra things like dissatisfcation with the CPA's "united front" approach with the Labor Party and a somewhat more critical line on China.

One of the few people the ACP follows on twitter is the Sorrenti woman you mention, interestingly they've retweeted one of her more anti-Chinese govt. tweets:

https://twitter.com/auscommunist

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Feb 3 2020 06:19
Mike Harman wrote:
No long-form written statement that I've seen yet.

There was a podcast released by Sorenti that was about the resignation, I didn't listen to it, but It was on "The Communist current" which used to be the official podcast of the Canadian communist party.

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1472789025

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Mar 31 2020 13:35

So I realise this isn't about the WWP or its adjacents, but I think this thread has broaden slightly. Recently Incendiary news wound down with its last editor posting a self criticism that is so filled with Maoist jargon I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be an early April fools.

https://incendiarynews.com/2020/03/26/to-my-comrades-of-the-former-incen...

Incendiary where from what I can tell the main media platform for the Red Guards Austin.

sherbu-kteer's picture
sherbu-kteer
Mar 31 2020 14:53
Quote:
I am not demoralized, although I confess I suffer from a disorientation. My world has been turned upside down. What I once thought correct is incorrect. It is a painful thing to grasp that I am a rightist, especially because I have longed struggle against other rightists as well. This just shows a deficiency, my fundamental error of not grasping Maoism. I cannot “cure” or rectify myself of rightism. Rectification can only happen with a collective that upholds the correct line.

It reads like the testimony of someone in a religious cult

R Totale's picture
R Totale
Mar 31 2020 15:45
Reddebrek wrote:
So I realise this isn't about the WWP or its adjacents, but I think this thread has broaden slightly. Recently Incendiary news wound down with its last editor posting a self criticism that is so filled with Maoist jargon I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be an early April fools.

https://incendiarynews.com/2020/03/26/to-my-comrades-of-the-former-incen...

Incendiary where from what I can tell the main media platform for the Red Guards Austin.

...who officially claim that they no longer exist, so Incendiary's Austin-based coverage just featured various "organizations" whose membership may or may not overlap 100% with the supposedly-former RGA. Anyway, any hopes that this is the end of the road for that particular cult are premature, since it also seems to be announcing a new project, Tribune of the People (not to be confused with Tribune).

Also, I wish I could be totally, 100% confident that there wasn't another Maoist - sorry, Marxist-Leninist-Maoist, principally Maoist - in the room pointing a gun at Ruiz while he was typing that out, but I'm not sure that I am.

R Totale's picture
R Totale
Mar 31 2020 17:13

OK, first of all damn you Reddebrek for sending me down this rabbithole, but secondly the new Tribune has come out with some incredible solid gold galaxy brain takes, possibly even beating the high standard we've come to expect from the Red Guard lot:

Quote:
If Maoists are correct to insist that imperialism itself is a paper tiger, then these views must also extend to COVID-19.

From another article:

Quote:
there is not a single community-spread COVID-19 case in Austin, and there is no reasonable fear of it spreading among mass gatherings as long as basic sanitary precautions are observed.

I think... I think the rightist deviation the Incendiary editor had to apologise for might have been saying that COVID-19 is real and it's a good idea for people to wash their hands?

comradeEmma's picture
comradeEmma
Mar 31 2020 18:20

From my understanding RGA, and other "Red Guard" organisations, dissolved as "Red Guards" to start some form of party building committee. There is still a bunch of maoist-styled activist groups(one is a women's group and the other a "workers organisations") in Austin that post on social-media that are clearly just the same people as RGA.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Apr 1 2020 20:56

They "dissolved" on the same day the FBI announced it no longer had funding due to a government shutdown, which was wonderful timing. But shortly after that the same number of people in red ski masks and bandanas started showing doing exactly what the Red Guards did in the same places they had a presence.

I suspect given how hostile the reception has been to them the decisions to dissolve were just attempts at rebranding and distancing, which quickly fizzled out since the core people were the same and were now stuck. And given the statement by Incendiary news it looks like they've started to burn out amongst their only constituency.

Quote:
Also, I wish I could be totally, 100% confident that there wasn't another Maoist - sorry, Marxist-Leninist-Maoist, principally Maoist - in the room pointing a gun at Ruiz while he was typing that out, but I'm not sure that I am.

Well Laski was another anti-revisionist who had a habit of brandishing his gun when meetings didn't go his way. https://libcom.org/blog/putting-it-all-red-michael-laski-story-14072018

So there is precedence.