Kulon Progo solidarity

Submitted by Rats on March 12, 2011

At the recent Anarchist summer school there was a presentation about the life and living resistance of the KP farmers, and solidarity to the farmers from anarchists here.
Two weeks ago Organise had a meeting specifically about KP solidarity in response to finding out that 5000 troops and 38 trucks of police were sent to quell the farmers while the company begins its project. The calls for solidarity were all practical, they wanted solidarity actions.

As an extra bit of practical solidarity we're gonna send them a bunch of Sodium metabisulfate, a counter-agent for tear gas(CS gas), use in home winemaking to kill off excess yeast.
(actually, if anyone knows the proper ratio/measurement of the sodium to water that'd be really helpful)

bastarx

13 years 1 month ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by bastarx on March 12, 2011

I can haz context? Where is KP and what is going on there?

Lumpen

13 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Lumpen on March 14, 2011

Kulon Progo is an area near Yogyakarta. The farmers there number in the thousands. Long story short, the soil that has allowed them to successfully grow produce is iron rich and there have been various exploratory projects to mine the sand for iron. The farmers were previously moved off their land in the 1970s. The mine would mean the destruction of the entire community. The farmers seem pretty cluey, and the promise of jobs in the mine, they realised, would be nothing compared to those lost from farms, not to mention way of life etc.

They've been opposing it pretty strongly and have had they heavy hand of the State weighing gown on them. Last I heard it was every village in the area opposing it bar one, who was teetering towards opposition to the mine. My info is all second and third hand though.

Mining reps have been chased away in no uncertain terms. The KP farmers have also had pretty bad dealings with NGOs, who apparently see themselves as mediators between the farmers and the mining corporations. Greenpeace, for example, told the farmers (who are not rich by a longshot) they should hire a helicopter to photograph them spelling "no mine" on the black sand. So Greenpeace were told to fuck off, more or less.

The anarchists had made contact with the farmers and have good relations because they supported the farmers and didn't try telling them what to do. I think there's an anarchist infoshop in KP too. I think they do radio there too. Not sure.

Through those Indo anarchists, contact was made with anarchists in Australia. The company that is pushing for the mine is based in Australia, btw. There have been some small actions done here in Australia which, we're told, affected the behaviour of the police because it was now "international".

Noice.

[youtube]c3i4TFHPKOA[/youtube]

riot_dude

13 years 1 month ago

Submitted by riot_dude on March 22, 2011

Via 325:

Nottingham supermarket smashed in solidarity with Kulon Progo (UK)

20 March 2011

“On Sunday night at 1:45am the Tesco’s on Hucknall Road was visited by some individuals. As a result of this visit it’s front door was smashed and ‘every little hurts’ was written on it’s wall. We did this because of hatred for the physical manifestation of capitalism that is Tesco’s.

We also did this as gesture of solidarity with the people of Kulon Progo in Indonesia who fight with beauty, rage and defiance against the capitalist forces which are trying to destroy their land. We know our efforts are slight, but they are sent with love for anyone who struggles against the systems of destruction and domination.

We know that capitalism is more than the bricks and mortar these building are made out of them, we know they are more than the companies which work out of these buildings. Capitalism lives in our interactions and our relationships, and we must constantly challenge it. The destruction of property will only ever be one form of this challenge, one tactic that we can use whenever we see fit. But it is one where we are able to share our affinity with one another, learn with one another, develop trust with one another, these acts enable us to temporarily penetrate our relationship with capitalism. Enabling us to prove that it is not infallible, that it has it’s weakness, and we can exploit them.

The expression of our anger against symbols of capitalism empowers us and deepens our desire to deform the control that capitalist society has over us. We will not just sit back and let companies like Tesco’s go unchallenged as they attempt to rip right through the communities of which we’re a part. Tesco’s are the epitomy of corporate exploitation and monopolization. Profiting from the commodification of our diets, our nourishment and our relationship with the earth.
The chain of commodities of which they’re apart is a chain where everything and everyone suffers. Well fuck you Tesco’s, fuck you corporate destroyers of the earth and everything living in it.

In glorious rage and with eternal love to all those who resist corporate exploitation.”

Rats

13 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Rats on March 24, 2011

"Nottingham supermarket smashed in solidarity with Kulon Progo (UK)"

MORE LIKE: fucking up international solidarity and being a dick: a how-to guide by brittish anarchism.

Mastikk

13 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Mastikk on March 24, 2011

I'm confused, do Tesco's have something to do with this as well?

Submitted by riot_dude on March 25, 2011

Mastikk

I'm confused, do Tesco's have something to do with this as well?

Not that I'm aware of, it's a rather weird solidarity action.

In other news, Indomines' interim report (June to December 2010) is well worth a read.

Submitted by sort it out frosty on March 25, 2011

Gabs

MORE LIKE: fucking up international solidarity and being a dick: a how-to guide by brittish anarchism.

Yes it would be much better to send a strongly worded "letter of solidarity" with its fraternal "red and black greetings". You clueless wanker.

sort it out frosty

13 years 1 month ago

22 March 2011

Last night some individuals with stones and bricks smashed every window and door of McDonald’s fast-food multinational in Perintis Kemerdekaan Road, Makassar, causing damages on the front of this multinational restaurant. They left a communique that said:

“We are aware of what you multinationals have done to the people of Kulon Progo, Takalar, Bima, and other places. We are angry and we’ll do more!”

sort it out frosty

13 years 1 month ago

25 March 2011

“BANK CENTRAL ASIA ATM ATTACKED WITH FIREBOMBS DURING MIDNIGHT LASTNIGHT.

BRIEF COMMUNIQUE: ONGOING SOCIAL WAR AND SOLIDARITY WITH BIMA, KULON PROGO, AND ALL THE OPPRESSED BY THE STATE AND CAPITALISM.”

http://indonesianintifada.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/peneror-bakar-bilik-atm-perang-sosial/

sort it out frosty

13 years 1 month ago

further updates & texts from anarchists in Indonesia here:

http://325.nostate.net/?tag=kulon-progo

Submitted by riot_dude on March 25, 2011

sort it out frosty

22 March 2011

Last night some individuals with stones and bricks smashed every window and door of McDonald’s fast-food multinational in Perintis Kemerdekaan Road, Makassar, causing damages on the front of this multinational restaurant. They left a communique that said:

“We are aware of what you multinationals have done to the people of Kulon Progo, Takalar, Bima, and other places. We are angry and we’ll do more!”

http://indonesianintifada.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/makassar-restoran-cepat-saji-mcdonald-diserang/
;)

@sortitoutfrosty and/or anyone who's interested, I outline a few of the companies involved in the KP mining project here.

Submitted by Lumpen on March 26, 2011

sort it out frosty

Gabs

Yes it would be much better to send a strongly worded "letter of solidarity" with its fraternal "red and black greetings". You clueless wanker.

I'm with Gabs, more or less. It's not like the Kulon Progo farmers are uncontactable. Shouldn't they be directing their own campaign? It's difficult to see how causing a mess in a supermarket is part of their request for solidarity, but maybe you know something I do not.

sort it out frosty

13 years 1 month ago

Submitted by sort it out frosty on March 26, 2011

as I would interpret it, anarchists are showing solidarity with teeth to communicate solidarity in struggle as other oppressed and escalate social struggle. you should not underestimate how anti-system violence in capitalist core territories can affect those struggling in the so-called peripheries. (this was noted, I believe, by those involved in Peoples Global Action during the "anti-globalisation" era, noting the response of "third world" dispossed to the images they saw of "first world" youth trashing the image of peace and prosperity of the West). one smashed tesco is not much but the idea is for a proliferation of signals of disorder - and of solidarity. "solidarity means attack."

solidarity is not charity or simply "support" for others struggle (tho it can be the latter as well), solidarity means continuation of the trajectory of others in struggle, the finding of commonalities in our revolt. solidarity, above all, is not a fucking letter from your groupsucle's "International Secretary". lol

Lumpen

13 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Lumpen on March 26, 2011

I'm saying that there doesn't seem to have been any consultation and the action itself seems bizarre. If there was consultation, it seems inconsistent with the requests so far.

My understanding is that there has been enormous frustration in the KP area with outsiders not actually listening but being more than willing to act on their behalf (Greenpeace and other local NGOs for example). Like I said, if the people who did the Tesco action wanted, they could ask directly and not have to speculate about how these actions are perceived or welcomed. Maybe they did. Who knows?

Plus, Frosty, you're projecting. I don't need to be told what "solidarity" means. Who is calling Indonesia or Kulon Progo a periphery? Again, I do not know what, if any contact you or the group who ran through Tescos have with them, but direct and ongoing contact and consultation is more in line with a definition of solidarity than fleeting and cryptic actions against third targets.

I think there is a very real question about what, if any, effect breaking a window in a UK supermarket will have on Indo Mines or the local KP government/police. It is questionable in a way that a letter is not; a letter, depending on the contents, is usually just a part of a larger context of work and is not a accurate comparison to an anonymous window breaking and press release. Calling something "solidarity with teeth" doesn't put it into a category so special that it can't be examined. Trying to do something/anything is meaningless if you refuse to examine or measure the effect. For example, the language of the press release associated with the action against Tescos used a sort of Red Brigade fantasy lingo. What is the point of that? Who is it supposed to inspire? How?

Maybe the PPLP or KP farmers think it was great, or at least neutral. In the absence of any solid info, it comes across as completely arsehole-ish to cast a letter (from Gabs' group?) in opposition to the alleged solidarity you seem to be putting forward. Who benefits from devaluing less spectacular acts? To be unambiguous, saying that solidarity is "above all not a fucking letter" is both wrong, counter-productive and injurious to the practice of international solidarity.

Rats

13 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Rats on March 27, 2011

Gabs

As an extra bit of practical solidarity we're gonna send them a bunch of Sodium metabisulfate, a counter-agent for tear gas(CS gas)

Smashing the window of my local shops or macdonalds and wanking it up over the internet, or, actually lending a hand to the struggle..

Hmm tough choice.

It would have made sense if it was against an indonesian consulate or government building, or of some company actually directly connected to the indomines project.

Lumpen

13 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Lumpen on March 28, 2011

…My post was harsher than I meant. I think it's a good thing that people are aware and, in general, don't have a problem with breaking windows for whatever reason. It might be a cultural thing. Maybe don't be a dick about it, Frosty?

riot_dude

13 years 1 month ago

Submitted by riot_dude on March 29, 2011

Via 325:

Position Paper by Coastal Inhabitants of Kulon Progo

Received from the PPLP-KP (Coastal Farmers Association of Kulon Progo). This is their release of a position paper in regard to the plan to mine iron from the coastal sands of Kulon Progo, Indonesia.

there is no peace without justice
and there is no justice without conscience
PPLP KP

“Since 2006, we, the coastal inhabitants of Kulon Progo Regency, have struggled to defend our Human Rights (as guaranteed by UU [Undang-Undang = regulation] No 39 of 1999), Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (as guaranteed by UU No 11 of 2005), and Right to Land (as guaranteed by UU no 5 of 1960). The presence of these rights and the prospect that they will continue into the future are under threat, due to the policies of the Kulon Progo Regency Government to mine iron sands and build a steel factory in an area which is settled by, and provides a livelihood for, its inhabitants. Just as it was known that it would, this mine has triggered a conflict between the people and the government, with no end in sight.”

Read the full document here (PDF).

riot_dude

13 years ago

Submitted by riot_dude on April 2, 2011

indomines' latest 'Progress Update for the Jogjakarta Iron Project ' indicates that Mitsui & Co. are now onboard ("to explore the future development of a pig iron facility at the iron project) & Indomines have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Tri Mitra "to work together in exploring and developing mineral assets in Indonesia with initial emphasis on coal to support Indomines future iron making requirements".

Mitsui have a few offices across Australia btw

riot_dude

13 years ago

Submitted by riot_dude on April 7, 2011

International Conspiracy for Revenge burns another Bank Central Asia ATM in solidarity attack (Indonesia)

4 April 2011

‘International Conspiracy for Revenge’ (ICfR) have taken responsibility for burning another BCA (Bank Central Asia) ATM in Indonesia, in an action against the capitalist exploitation of Indonesian resources and state repression. BCA are handling finances for the industrial development of Kulon Progo. The actions are directly revindicated by flyers which were left at the scene which were the same as in a number of other incidents around the country.

The communique situates the actions in the context of revenge for the brutal oppression inflicted upon the people of Kulon Progo, Bima, Takalar, Padang Raya, Makassar, Jogja, Persil IV Medan, Buyat and Papua by the Indonesia state and multi-national corporations such as PT Indomines and BCA. The claim also denounced the role of the mainstream media, bureaucrats, police and the military.

The ATM was completely destroyed with the money inside, CCTV system burned out, and ATM unit gutted. There were no injuries reported and it was only witnessed when several people drove past the ATM noticing a fire.

riot_dude

13 years ago

Submitted by riot_dude on April 22, 2011

London Solidarity Action
Sauce

To Farm or to Die, Resist the Iron Mine! Indonesian Embassy Visit.

On the afternoon of Thursday the 21st of April 2011 we visited the Indonesian Embassy in London, UK to deliver a letter to the Indonesian Government in Jakarta. This was done in solidarity with the people of Kulon Progo, whose lives and land are threatened by the Iron Sands Mining Project being carried out by the Australian Mining Company PT Indomine and the Indonesian State. We also visited the London offices of the Anglo Pacific Group round the corner in Mayfair to deliver the same letter to be sent to Indonesia and Australia. Anglo Pacific Group holds royalties in PT Indomine.

The letter conveyed the demands of the local farmers and communities in the area that the mining project be immediately stopped. As they have recently explained: “At the local level, the source of conflict is the plan to mine iron sands, meaning that the cancellation of the project is the only way to achieve a peaceful solution to the matter… Whichever term is used: mediation, negotiation, compromise, win-win solution, we reject anything that is designed to result in the mining of iron sands.”

The military repression carried out, as part of the project, by the Indonesian state and security forces, along with the coercive methods utilized by national and local government, the foreign mining company, NGOs, businessmen and the like, were also denounced. The local people have been resisting this project since its inception. They have been fighting – both legally and physically – all the measures adopted by those that wish to impose this project. The continuation of the project would mean massive ecological and social destruction, and the displacement of local communities and at least 30,000 farmers from their traditional lands, with the resulting loss of farmland, food sources and income.

As they explained in February of this year: “Arising from government's reluctance to be open with the people, and the shortfall of communication when dealing with the people (it should be dialogue, not monologue), this conflict has sharpened and spread as those who have an interest in mining the people's land have carried out a series of excessive actions. The conflict has been triggered by government violence, whether physical violence (such as the clashes with the police that occurred on 20 October 2009), or violence which takes the form of the deception of the people through the engineering of law/policy. If the government permits or even nurtures this conflict, it is not impossible to imagine that the next step will be a massacre of the people by armed agents. If the government continues to impose its will, so we will fight the injustice, in whatever form that may take.”

Psychological and physical violence on the people, at the behest of the state and the mining company, continues. They ask for international support and solidarity to aid the struggle against the imposition of this project. It is still in its early stages and so support and expressions of solidarity of any kind is asked for and appreciated by the people of Kulon Progo.

For more information please see:
Background information: http://hidupbiasa.blogspot.com/2009/12/thousands-of-kulon-progo-farmers-resist.html
Mines and Communities: http://www.minesandcommunities.org/list.php?r=928
PT Indomine: http://www.indomines.com.au/
Anglo Pacific: http://www.anglopacificgroup.com/s/Home.asp
The Indonesian Embassy in London: 38 Grosvenor Square
London, W1K 2HW
Anglo Pacific Group: 17 Hill Street, Mayfair, London, W1Z 5NZ

Photos and a PDF of the letter are attached below.

Solidarity with the People of Kulon Progo. To Farm or to Die, Resist the Iron Mine!

solidarity with the people of kulon progo

riot_dude

13 years ago

Submitted by riot_dude on April 24, 2011

The sultan has just announced that the iron mine is to be one third of the '3 mega projects' to be built in Kulon Progo, the other two being an international airport and international port.

sauce:
http://www.radarjogja.co.id/ekonomi-bisnis/12-ekonomi-bisnis/16066-tiga-mega-proyek-digarap-di-kulonprogo.html

woooo

12 years 11 months ago

Submitted by woooo on June 3, 2011

Hi I'm keen to get involved is this still a functioning group in melbourne. ? i emailed and had no reply...

billykarpet

7 years 6 months ago

Submitted by billykarpet on October 19, 2016

Spam deleted