At The Cafe: new podcasts at the Anarchist Communist Group website

Submitted by Battlescarred on December 17, 2018

The Anarchist Communist Group is proud to present its new podcast “At the Cafe.” At the Cafe is a series of discussion about the key issues and ideas in Anarchist Communism.

What is Anarchist Communism:

Why Work:

A podcast on why people would work in an anarchist communist society

Crime:

A podcast on how society would deal with crime in a world with out a state or private security

War:

A podcast on war, and what it is good for

Historical examples of Anarchism:

A look at the history of working class movements that have tried to build anarchist communist societies

Is it going to happen:

An exploration of how we are going to change society

Preamble:

The Preamble of the Anarchist Communist Group

https://www.anarchistcommunism.org/2018/12/16/at-the-cafe-acgs-new-podcast/

Noah Fence

5 years 4 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Noah Fence on December 20, 2018

I listened to the first two and then found that three of them won’t play. Thought I’d flag it up. Can you let me know when it’s fixed please?

Serge Forward

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on December 20, 2018

I'll check.

Serge Forward

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on December 20, 2018

Hmm... you're right. Thanks for letting us know. Three of them are iffy. But if you go to our fixed podcast page they all seem to work: ACG podcasts

Noah Fence

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on December 20, 2018

Ok Serge, got it, thanks.

Noah Fence

5 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on December 24, 2018

Listened to them all and it’s all good stuff.
Obviously it’s basic foundation material so perfect for, and I assume created for, those that are new to anarchist ideas.
The question then, and one that was touched on at the ACG Corbyn discussion meeting, is how do we get this into the ears of a wider audience?
Personally I’ve sent the link to five people I know that I would call dissatisfied liberals. Had no feedback as yet and five people, hardly gonna transform the working class that way!
I think these recordings should be made available on platforms frequented by potential converts(sorry to use that word, it sounds pretty crass but I can’t think of a better one). I don’t think the target audience should be focused on liberals either - however fucked up their ideas may be, there are commonalities between our ideas and those of the ‘libertarian’ right, and besides, any working class person regardless of their current ideology, or lack there of, stands to benefit from these ideas.

Serge Forward

5 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on December 24, 2018

Yes, they are aimed at literally anyone with some amount of critical faculties and maybe a bit curious about anarchist communism... and yes, things are intentionally explained in fairly simple language. It's a good question though, how do we spread the ideas further afield so we're not 'preaching to the converted' so to speak? We're open to suggestions. I don't know which platforms you mean, but then I'm not tech/social media savvy but I can pass anything on.

R Totale

5 years 3 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on December 26, 2018

I mean, I guess youtube's the big one, but ideally you'd want some visuals to go with it? Could also ask Dissident Island or Under the Pavement for tips? Those are the two main UK audio projects I can think of (barring a certain other "autonomists-for-Corbyn"-type media project).

Fozzie

5 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Fozzie on December 26, 2018

Yes to Youtube. (You can just add one cover image to the audio - most cheap/free video editing software will let you do that)

Definitely get it on the Apple Itunes store:
https://itunespartner.apple.com/en/podcasts/overview

And maybe soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com

Serge Forward

5 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on December 26, 2018

Thanks for the tips! :)

Noah Fence

5 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on January 4, 2019

Sent the link to a friend and ex co-worker last week. He usually has no interest in politics apart from trying to troll me into losing my rag but I sent it anyway.
So today he called me up after having listened to the first three episodes saying he was enjoying listening and that it all made a lot of sense. We spoke about it for over half an hour.
I know it’s just one person but I wanted to mention it so that the creators know that the format does as it is intended.

Serge Forward

5 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on January 5, 2019

That's great news, Noah! Thanks for telling us. Incidentally, they are now on Soundcloud.

Spikymike

4 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on April 27, 2019

Yep they are not bad - delivered in the now popular 'laid back' panel type discussion style (if by presently much the same personnel) and introduced with a nice bit of 'cool jazz'.

Serge Forward

4 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on April 27, 2019

Yeah, we're looking to alternate the "presenters" - at the minute, it just happens to be those of us local to the comrade with a decent mic and techie know-how at editing the recordings into a podcast. We're hoping to get different voices on future editions soon - personally a good thing as I'm sick of hearing my Mancunian shite on there ;)

They're intentionally "laid back" and are intended as a starting point aimed at people new to revolutionary and anarchist communist ideas.