The Internet Left

Submitted by Ivysyn on December 27, 2015

Hey guys. I thought I would ask about your thoughts on the internet left scene.

boozemonarchy

8 years 4 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by boozemonarchy on December 27, 2015

There are a lot of memes.

Ivysyn

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Ivysyn on December 27, 2015

that's true, I think that's a problem a lot of the time

radicalgraffiti

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by radicalgraffiti on December 27, 2015

actually memes are good, they help develop a shared culture and can sometimes convey ideas in an accessible way

Ivysyn

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Ivysyn on December 28, 2015

radicalgraffiti

actually memes are good, they help develop a shared culture and can sometimes convey ideas in an accessible way

I mean, I am not against memes, I just don't think they are the best platform for promoting politics.

Jason Cortez

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Jason Cortez on December 28, 2015

I would give you my considered thoughts on this topic, but I actually don't know of this scene. Can you point out where this is and what makes it a 'scene'?

Ivysyn

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Ivysyn on December 30, 2015

I guess it's just place like this, the facebook left, ect. I guess it technically qualifies as a scene given that it's a place for people to gather around something. What u call it is not that important tho, to this question at least.

Steven.

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on December 30, 2015

This is a very broad topic. Maybe it would help if you had a view, or some particular phenomena or examples you wanted to explore?

In general I think I would say that "the internet left" is just the representation of the left, on the internet. And so has all the same issues of "the left" in general, but just on the internet.

cactus9

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on December 30, 2015

I am so happy now I have the term "the internet left" to use. Just like my ex when I gave him the term "lifestyle anarchist".

The two have something else in common, as in the old light bulb joke, they'll never change anything.

Ivysyn

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Ivysyn on January 2, 2016

Steven.

This is a very broad topic. Maybe it would help if you had a view, or some particular phenomena or examples you wanted to explore?

In general I think I would say that "the internet left" is just the representation of the left, on the internet. And so has all the same issues of "the left" in general, but just on the internet.

I understand it's a really broad topic, but I was kinda hoping for a broader discussion which can then lead into specifics I suppose. My experience tends to be with the Facebook left so maybe we could talk about that if we want something specific? I am open to anything other suggestions that people make for specifics.

radicalgraffiti

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by radicalgraffiti on January 2, 2016

the problem is that the internet left is not a thing there's thousands of different groupings adn some of them have vary different cultures and politics.

Ivysyn

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Ivysyn on January 3, 2016

well if that's the case some thoughts on the communities u have had experience with would be nice.