Joint London strikes demo 3rd August 2017

Submitted by Spikymike on August 2, 2017

London comrades might be interested in attending and supporting these demo's where this union sponsored action is perhaps an initial effort that with more input might see the beginnings of a growing London-wide movement of solidarity across different workplaces and indeed union boundaries?
www.unitetheunion.org/news/hospital-workers-cabin-crew-and-bank-workers-in-hat-trick-of-london-protests/

fingers malone

6 years 8 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by fingers malone on August 3, 2017

I went down to the first bit outside JP Morgans, there were at least 200 people and I left early, at 9.30.

Bit of background: there are three disputes, all Unite. One is SERCO cleaners at Barts Hospital Trust, at four different sites, I've only been to the Royal London in Whitechapel and I don't know where the others are. They've been on strike for quite awhile now. SERCO are bringing in agency cleaners from all round the UK to do the strikers' work which is a serious complication for winning the dispute. There was an occupation of the agency's offices because of it.
Mixed fleet workers are on strike at Heathrow over pay,they've been out for 5 weeks now.
Bank of England support staff are on strike for the first time in 50 years, don't know the issue.

The protest, when I left as I said it was pretty big and was very loud. Mostly the hospital cleaners, quite a few mixed fleet strikers. There were quite a few people from Unite Community, and I saw people from RMT, NUT, Unison, UCU and IWGB. The site of the protest, JP Morgan's, I think they are shareholders in SERCO.

fingers malone

6 years 8 months ago

dp

fingers malone

6 years 8 months ago

I forgot to say that there was a solidarity picket today in Belgium, which is impressive.

Movement for Justice were on the demo with a banner about how SERCO is the company which runs Yarls Wood, the detention centre for migrants, which I though was a good bit of linking struggles.

Dannny

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Dannny on August 3, 2017

fingers malone

I forgot to say that there was a solidarity picket today in Belgium, which is impressive.

Movement for Justice were on the demo with a banner about how SERCO is the company which runs Yarls Wood, the detention centre for migrants, which I though was a good bit of linking struggles.

Thanks for the reports, agree that it's good to see MfJ making this connection