Moving to Scotland

Submitted by potrokin on June 25, 2016

Very disappointed at the referendum result and also rather worried at the consequences. I understand that Scotland is likely to get a referendum and become independent, staying in the EU. Is there any advise anyone can give me about moving up there? Any help even? Want to leave England.
I have a girlfriend who is an artist and a cleaner, I myself am interested in art and intend to create art, I am also a cleaner as are my girlfriend's two sons, one of whom is studying computing at uni. We are also considering Canada but we feel Scotland would be easier as it's still currently a part of the UK, also my grandad was Scottish so maybe after the referendum that might be useful?

Noah Fence

7 years 10 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 25, 2016

Potrokin

If you're seriously considering leaving the UK coz of the result of a capitalist referendum then my advice would be to completely overhaul your political outlook and whether on not you're an anarchist.
Honestly, this is like the good old 'why don't you anarchists just buy an island?' question.

Btw, I'm serious here, not just poking fun.

Khawaga

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 25, 2016

Yeah, you're overreacting to say the least.

Auld-bod

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on June 25, 2016

Potrokin, think very carefully about the part of Scotland in which you wish to live, as regions vary greatly. My first twenty-five years were lived in Glasgow and on moving south I found the weather improved and there were four recognisable seasons.

In London there was more racism, though little if any religious bigotry. So be aware English and Scottish cultures differ in a number of ways positive and negative. Historically there has been more unemployment in the north of the UK. So I would not move simply on ‘wishful thinking’.

potrokin

7 years 10 months ago

Noah Fence

Potrokin

If you're seriously considering leaving the UK coz of the result of a capitalist referendum then my advice would be to completely overhaul your political outlook and whether on not you're an anarchist.
Honestly, this is like the good old 'why don't you anarchists just buy an island?' question.

Btw, I'm serious here, not just poking fun.

I'm serious yes.

potrokin

7 years 10 months ago

Khawaga

Yeah, you're overreacting to say the least.

I really don't think I am.

potrokin

7 years 10 months ago

We've thought about moving to Scotland before. As I understand it theres pretty much free education and more of a welfare system. The result of the referendum and it's consequences have just made Scotland even more appealing as it is likely to stay in the EU. After whats just happened to the pound, my familes' wages won't be worth what they were, prices will be going up, including on food. We're struggling as it is but things will be worse now. Thats why we are thinking of Scotland.

potrokin

7 years 10 months ago

Plus the area of England we live in is very conservative and theres nothing here, apart from xenophobia and racism.

Khawaga

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 25, 2016

That makes much more sense than moving just because of the referendum.

cactus9

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on June 25, 2016

Yeah do it, Glasgow has a subway and some decent nightlife when I looked into it. Edinburgh is full of middle class English people.

radicalgraffiti

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by radicalgraffiti on June 25, 2016

cactus9

Yeah do it, Glasgow has a subway and some decent nightlife when I looked into it. Edinburgh is full of middle class English people.

the gasgow subway map may be my favourite subway map ever

jef costello

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on June 25, 2016

You need to be resident for 3 years for free university education (which can be elsewhere in the UK iirc).
If you've got a specific fear of losing your immigration status then this might be worth considering, but just to stay in the EU is pointless. I was pretty annoyed at first, even started to wonder if I should have voted, but I've made my peace with it.In spite of the fact that racism and immigration has dominated the schedule that doesn't mean the the country is now majority racist. The government has been blaming everything on the EU for years (for example Gove talking about fishing quotas ruining the industry rather than overfishing collapsing stocks, or blaming the EU for the last steel plant closing when the UK govt had spoken against tariffs which allowed China to dump surplus steel on the market.) and shockingly this has had an effect and as there is no chance the government will maintain EU services there will be a problem but they'll find someone to blame.

I think the idea of giving the establishment a bloody nose is very strong, people feel powerless and this is a way to do something.

I will admit that I'm going to apply for EU citizenship as soon as I'm eligible for administrative reasons.