Persecution and threats against student activist escalate

Bahar Mustafa - Golsmiths Student's Union Welfare & Diversity Officer

A London student union officer has received death threats in a month-long campaign of harassment, after she organised a meeting for minority students.

Bahar Mustafa, 27, is the Welfare & Diversity Officer of Goldsmiths Students’ Union. Ms Mustafa organised a meeting for black and minority ethnic (BME) women and non-binary people, and asked that white people and men did not attend.

A Goldsmiths student, who is understood to have recently been a member of the xenophobic right-wing UKIP party, claimed that this was racist against white men.

The story was spun as ‘white men banned from anti-racism rally’, and subsequently picked up by student paper the Tab, the Evening Standard and Daily Mail, amongst others. Supporters of Bahar refuted the claims in a statement:

This is not, as has been suggested in the press, anti-white bigotry. Nor is it discrimination, in any sense of the word. The event in question is not a job or scholarship from which white people are barred from applying. It is an organising meeting involving just over ten people, convening to feed back into wider organising meetings.

However, the campaign against her subsequently escalated, with attempts to have Ms Mustafa - who is an elected student union officer - ‘sacked’. She has also received death threats, and has been reported to the police.

Following the media coverage, an assortment of Men’s Rights Activists, British fascists, and participants in the misogynist hate campaign gamergate descended on the twitter hashtag #SupportBaharMustafa with a torrent of abuse.

This effort to ban minorities from meeting without white men present is the latest in a wider campaign portraying left-wing and liberation movements as a totalitarian threat to ‘free speech’ on campuses. Former genocide-denying Marxist turned right-wing contrarian Spiked magazine recently published a ‘free speech ranking’ for universities, with red, amber, and green categories.

Supposed ‘threats to free speech’ which landed universities in the red category include bans on on-campus fascist activity, “zero tolerance” policies on sexual harassment, and recognition of transgender people. Sacking of elected officers for speaking freely is not mentioned.

Posted By

Anonymous
May 22 2015 12:29

Share


  • This effort to ban minorities from meeting without white men present is the latest in a wider campaign portraying left-wing and liberation movements as a totalitarian threat to ‘free speech’ on campuses.

Attached files

Comments

Georgie89
May 29 2015 12:21
kurremkarmerruk wrote:
Well I am no expert about contemporary British cultural or political tendencies on women or minorities. So I do not want to speak about it at all. But this remind me about something. Leaving that whole discussion aside, I very much doubt kurdish freedom movement would ever let anyone to criticize a women (or to be threatened) like she is being treated now . See some tweets from Graeber:
Quote:
David Graeber ‏@davidgraeber Apr 7 Brent, London
interesting PKK gender principles 1: women can command men in combat but men never allowed to command women
Quote:
David Graeber ‏@davidgraeber Apr 7 Brent, London
interesting PKK gender principles 2: no man can criticize a woman politically in presence of other men, only alone or with only other women

I have no issue with women being leaders, I support women have equal rights, full rights over their reproductive cycles. I think the push by the PKK and DUP to empower women is great. I would have no problem taking orders from a woman. These are seperate things.

What I am criticising is the SJW liberal crap these supposed feminists and lefties are spouting. And I think you will find the PKK and the female leaders are far more on my side of this issue than they are on the peoples in this thread.
I
n this video go to 31:50 and hear one of the female commanders giving a talk just fresh from taking Daesh terrirtory. She talks about feminism and I am guessing she would be called a piece of shit on here for what she has to say, because her disagreement that feminism is good makes her
a woman hater despite her risking death and her female fighters being severely wounded to try and rescue Yazedi women who are being held as slaves and rescue women from the plight of life under Daesh in't indicative of someone caring about women. To do that you have to support the delicate first world white women having mean things said about them online in response to their mind boggling hypocrisy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTnS2YbFBkA

Fleur
May 29 2015 12:43

I am reminded of the LA Times article which was published this week (which I can't be bothered to find because I'm having my breakfast rn) that young feminists should stop worrying their silly little heads about rape on campus because girls who have bee kidnapped by Boko Haram have it much worse. It's a completely facile argument, implying that people cannot be concerned with more than one thing at a time. Interestingly, it's an argument which is often thrown at feminism, stop whining, there are women in other places in the world who are much worse off than you, suck it up princess.
Imagine transferring this argument elsewhere? Stop complaining about working conditions here in the west ffs, at least you're not on a South East Asian slave ship - now they really have oppressive working conditions! Or you could be a kid in an an indentured labour brick factory, they'd be really grateful to have the pay and conditions you have!

Quote:
I have no issue with women being leaders, I support women have equal rights, full rights over their reproductive cycles

Really pleased to hear that mate. What do you want, a gold star? A participation trophy? Obviously, I'm also really thrilled that you know exactly what it is that women should be really concerned with and we're fortunate that you enlighten us with these things.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 12:49
Fleur wrote:
I am reminded of the LA Times article which was published this week (which I can't be bothered to find because I'm having my breakfast rn) that young feminists should stop worrying their silly little heads about rape on campus because girls who have bee kidnapped by Boko Haram have it much worse. It's a completely facile argument, implying that people cannot be concerned with more than one thing at a time. Interestingly, it's an argument which is often thrown at feminism, stop whining, there are women in other places in the world who are much worse off than you, suck it up princess.
Imagine transferring this argument elsewhere? Stop complaining about working conditions here in the west ffs, at least you're not on a South East Asian slave ship - now they really have oppressive working conditions! Or you could be a kid in an an indentured labour brick factory, they'd be really grateful to have the pay and conditions you have!
Quote:
I have no issue with women being leaders, I support women have equal rights, full rights over their reproductive cycles

Really pleased to hear that mate. What do you want, a gold star? A participation trophy? Obviously, I'm also really thrilled that you know exactly what it is that women should be really concerned with and we're fortunate that you enlighten us with these things.

You are welcome.

radicalgraffiti
May 29 2015 13:10
Georgie89 wrote:
radicalgraffiti wrote:
fuck off liberal

No the person hashtagging killallwhitemen was a liberal.

Lets see you;
Reject the existance of stuctural rasism, instead prefering to pretent people of differatn races exists in perfect equality mediated only by their indervidual actions.

You equate pointing out racism, sexism etc, with opresing people.

You don't care about the politics of groupes so long as they are fightign the real enermy, isis

you don't see any opresion unless its at the level of people being kidnaped raped and sold into slavary, and talkign about any other kind of oppresion or discrimination is the reason the left is so weak

and you think your not a liberal? lol

Joseph Kay
May 29 2015 13:20
Georgie89 wrote:
What I am criticising is the SJW liberal crap these supposed feminists and lefties are spouting (...) delicate first world white women

Georgie89
May 29 2015 13:28
radicalgraffiti wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:
radicalgraffiti wrote:
fuck off liberal

No the person hashtagging killallwhitemen was a liberal.

Lets see you;
Reject the existance of stuctural rasism, instead prefering to pretent people of differatn races exists in perfect equality mediated only by their indervidual actions.

You equate pointing out racism, sexism etc, with opresing people.

You don't care about the politics of groupes so long as they are fightign the real enermy, isis

you don't see any opresion unless its at the level of people being kidnaped raped and sold into slavary, and talkign about any other kind of oppresion or discrimination is the reason the left is so weak

and you think your not a liberal? lol

When did I compare calling out racism with oppressing people lol? What re you waffling on about?

See what you did is attribute a bunch of stuff to me. Because I criticise Bahar does not mean I reject systemic racism, or anything of the sort.

The problem is you can't comprehend criticism of Bahar from any other place than some right wing anti women place. Yet regular women make fun of and criticise feminists like Bahar more than anyone. But in your mind criticism of someone who tried to have people fired for making jokes themselves now whining people are trying to have her fired for making jokes is somehow arguing against womens rights.

And as for your assertion that going to fight alongside self identified libertarian socialists and communists against people literally stripping women of all rights is the liberal thing to do, but sitting on your laptop posting on a lefty forum about the plight of privileged upper middle class students whose only experience as a worker is on a fucking campus as a diversity officer is fucking laughable.

The radical feminism of the first world is in vogue on the far left because it is easy, when the height of your concern is a woman being objectified for dressing in a skimpy outfit and you call people who actually want to fight for real meaningful womens rights in places where they are actually being persecuted ... like for real, not just getting snarky internet comments, then you might want to reassess your nonsense.

fingers malone
May 29 2015 13:49
Georgie89 wrote:

But in your mind criticism of someone who tried to have people fired for making jokes themselves now whining people are trying to have her fired for making jokes is somehow arguing against womens rights.

Hang on, when did Bahar ever try to get someone fired? First I've heard of this.

Fleur
May 29 2015 13:56
Quote:
Hang on, when did Bahar ever try to get someone fired? First I've heard of this.

I think he's got it in his head that she signed that pointless petition to cancel the Colbert Report. I signed that petition to buy David Graeber a tank but I knew nothing would come of that one too.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 14:18
fingers malone wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:

But in your mind criticism of someone who tried to have people fired for making jokes themselves now whining people are trying to have her fired for making jokes is somehow arguing against womens rights.

Hang on, when did Bahar ever try to get someone fired? First I've heard of this.

She loves to try and have people fired, stand up comedians, tv hosts. Basically anyone who says anything that offends her deserves to lose their job. But when the shoe is on the other foot of course she is being persecuted and having her livelihood unjustly threatened.

Once again her tweet wasn't offensive, her entitled double standards are. Obviously kill all white men isn't offensive. We have all the guns and power, white men could forcibly make women slaves. We don't because we think it is wrong. Which makes it ironic first world feminists have more scorn for supposed patriarchy in the first world than Daesh who are literally enslaving women.

Because the people enslaving women are brown and muslim so focusing on their real crimes is islamophobia and fear mongering against people of colour.

She rightly focused her attention on having white colbert fired for the following joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_he9z_J57o

He then points out the redskins owner started a charity for native americans to try and quelll some of the heat, yet he chose an obviously racist name for the foundation, to which colbert mocking replied he was starting his own charity, the ching chong ding dong foundation for sensitivity to orientals or whatever. Ridiculing a racist billionaires attempts to appear non racist backfiring.

Suey park and a bunch of SJW's then tried to have him fired, Bahar was one of them. So by her own standards she should be fired. It is the hypocrassy is what makes people hate her.

Fleur
May 29 2015 14:18
Quote:
She loves to try and have people fired, stand up comedians, tv hosts. Basically anyone who says anything that offends her deserves to lose their job

Do you actually have any evidence for this, apart from a visceral dislike of first world feminists and a deep empathic sense of solidarity wit internationally famous TV hosts? Let it go mate, the Colbert thing was over a year ago. He doesn't even do the show any more. I'm sure he's OK, not suffering too much.

Quote:
That is why she is such a punachable hypocrite.

That's the second woman you've expressed a desire to hit now.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 14:30
Fleur wrote:
Quote:
She loves to try and have people fired, stand up comedians, tv hosts. Basically anyone who says anything that offends her deserves to lose their job

Do you actually have any evidence for this, apart from a visceral dislike of first world feminists and a deep empathic sense of solidarity wit internationally famous TV hosts? Let it go mate, the Colbert thing was over a year ago. He doesn't even do the show any more. I'm sure he's OK, not suffering too much.

Quote:
That is why she is such a punachable hypocrite.

That's the second woman you've expressed a desire to hit now.

I want to hit men too. Just like in another thread someone advocated violence against scabs and got a bunch of upvotes. Would violence against male scabs only be justified but hitting a female scab is sexist? Lol you are so fucking cute. Are you saying women should have all the same rights but none of the responsibility, like getting their teeth broken when they hit a man, or getting fired if they joke on the view about a man having his penis cut off? Can you imagine if that scenario was reversed and it was a bunch of white men joking about a woman's boyfriend cutting her breasts and clit off? Instant firing, instant police investigation into hate speech. But Woopi goldberg and her pack of imbecilic ladies can cackle about it and it isn't criticised by anyone?

Is that like almost a culture where men can be alughed at for being raped i prison and supposed feminists on a tv show can laugh hysterically about a man having his penis severed by a woman. If that was the other way around that would be used as an example of rape culture and patriachy lol.

The difference is I don't think violence is ok in real life to solve arguments, unlike some feminists who know they can't get hit back so hit men and don't get charged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IWBy0frI2s

Fleur
May 29 2015 14:34
Quote:
Lol you are so fucking cute

I am. I really, really am smile

Edit: Jesus, you watch The View? For fuck's sake go outside and play before your brain turns to total mush.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 14:39
Fleur wrote:
Quote:
Lol you are so fucking cute

I am. I really, really am smile

Edit: Jesus, you watch The View? For fuck's sake go outside and play before your brain turns to total mush.

Once again you go off topic rather than address the points. No I don't watch the view, there is this thing called youtube that has clips. Do you care to address the points? No because to do so is disastrous to your world view.

Edit:

Also can you imagine if a tv show joked about cutting a womans tits and clit off and my response to a feminist on here was, god you watch that show hahaha get out before your head turns to mush.

INSTABAN would be called for. Hilarious double standard yet again.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 14:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IWBy0frI2s

She pucnhes a guy unprovoked multiple time smakes his lip and eye bleed, with that self entitled white woman grin. The abject look of terror and sock that he would dare to hit her back is priceless.
Look at the comments, notice the women saying he is sexist because he hit a woman back.

Equal rights. If the situation was reversed no one would condemn a woman for hitting a man back in an unprovoked attack.

Fnordie
May 29 2015 14:59
Ryukden wrote:
I live my life without calling for the murder of anyone. It's simpler that way.
Lucy Parsons wrote:
“What I want is for every greasy grimy tramp to arm himself with a knife or a gun and stationing himself at the doorways of the rich shoot or stab them as they come out.”

simple enough.

Fleur
May 29 2015 15:03

Thing is, I don't have a youtube account because I don't spend my time living vicariously and fulminating my outrage by watching youtube videos, and I have no interest in making an account so that I can sign in to watch that video, which has an age restriction. It's also a particular annoyance of mine, people who post up videos in want of making a coherent argument of their own.

If you're going to make MRA arguments to make your rather pathetic little points, then you've probably come to the wrong place. A video of a woman hitting a man and presumably getting lamped for it, really if that's the sort of thing you enjoy watching, you really are a prick.

As for you saying that you don't think violence is OK to solve an argument, that's pretty funny coming from someone nursing a guts and glory fantasy to go off to join a war.

Btw, you're not BJJ by any chance? Or do all sexist, ill-educated, self-identifying lefties sound more or less the same?

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:09
Fleur wrote:
Thing is, I don't have a youtube account because I don't spend my time living vicariously and fulminating my outrage by watching youtube videos, and I have no interest in making an account so that I can sign in to watch that video, which has an age restriction. It's also a particular annoyance of mine, people who post up videos in want of making a coherent argument of their own.

If you're going to make MRA arguments to make your rather pathetic little points, then you've probably come to the wrong place. A video of a woman hitting a man and presumably getting lamped for it, really if that's the sort of thing you enjoy watching, you really are a prick.

As for you saying that you don't think violence is OK to solve an argument, that's pretty funny coming from someone nursing a guts and glory fantasy to go off to join a war.

Btw, you're not BJJ by any chance? Or do all sexist, ill-educated, self-identifying lefties sound more or less the same?

I am a bad guy for watching a woman get lamped, not the entitled twat punching men and expecting no reaction.

You are embarassing. You are an introverted coward who feels brave in this safe space to call for violence against those who disagree with you and condemn everyone who does not agree with your views 100%.

autogestión
May 29 2015 15:09
Also can you imagine if a tv show joked about cutting a womans tits and clit off and my response to a feminist on here was, god you watch that show hahaha get out before your head turns to mush.

The difference is that people don't tend to go around cutting off men's penises. It's a fairly rare occurrence, which is why individual instances of it tend to make the news. Female genital mutilation is still happening in fairly large numbers, on the other hand.

I mean, I agree that laughing at a guy getting his dick cut off is pretty dispicable, but it's not as dispicable as laughing at large numbers of girls being mutilated on a daily basis.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:16
autogestión wrote:
Also can you imagine if a tv show joked about cutting a womans tits and clit off and my response to a feminist on here was, god you watch that show hahaha get out before your head turns to mush.

The difference is that people don't tend to go around cutting off men's penises. It's a fairly rare occurrence, which is why individual instances of it tend to make the news. Female genital mutilation is still happening in fairly large numbers, on the other hand.

I mean, I agree that laughing at a guy getting his dick cut off is pretty dispicable, but it's not as dispicable as laughing at large numbers of girls being mutilated on a daily basis.

People don't tend to have FGM in the first world either so your point is irrelevent to the point raised.

Also the most vocal critics of FGM such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali are hated by feminist in the first world and as hate mail from them constantly, because she calls out muslim abuse of women and girls. Which is wrong, naturally.
All mutilation of a childs genitals is wrong. Are you aware of the thousands and thousands of circumcisions in the third world which lead to infection and death, a lifetime of numbness and sexual dysfunction beacause of botched surgery etc.

How is this a woman's issue rather than an issue with religious people treating children like property. Nice attempt to dismiss actual points though.

How about the open joking about men being raped in prison. Can we not even pretend that if there were casual joke about women being raped at the same level it would not be fa rmore criticised on this forum? Male prison rape seems pretty systemic too, isn't that something you guys talk about alot? Or is it only systemic if it applies to vagina?

Fleur
May 29 2015 15:19
Quote:
How about the open joking about men being raped in prison. Can we not even pretend that if there were casual joke about women being raped at the same level it would not be fa rmore criticised on this forum? Male prison rape seems pretty systemic too, isn't that something you guys talk about alot? Or is it only systemic if it applies to vagina?

You clearly have a problem with the idea of holding more than one thought in your head at a time? In what way in your over-simplified little head do you imagine that being a feminist is being pro-prison rape?

autogestión
May 29 2015 15:21
All mutilation of a childs genitals is wrong. Are you aware of the thousands and thousands of circumcisions in the third world which lead to infection and death, a lifetime of numbness and sexual dysfunction beacause of botched surgery etc.

As it happens I don't think anybody should be cutting off bits of children's bodies for non-medical purposes when they are not even able to speak, let alone consent to the operation.

However, you and I both know that FGM generally has worse consequences than male circumcision. In many cases, when carried out in a medically sterile environment, male circumcision probably has no negative consequences whatsoever. Any objection I have to it is to do with the impossibility of a child validly consenting to such an operation, not the consequences of the operation itself. Anyway, this is getting way off topic.

How about the open joking about men being raped in prison. Can we not even pretend that if there were casual joke about women being raped at the same level it would not be fa rmore criticised on this forum?

And what have jokes about men being raped in prison got to do with this? Who here has made those jokes? Has Bahar made those jokes? Is anyone here condoning those jokes? What is your point exactly?

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:28
autogestión wrote:
All mutilation of a childs genitals is wrong. Are you aware of the thousands and thousands of circumcisions in the third world which lead to infection and death, a lifetime of numbness and sexual dysfunction beacause of botched surgery etc.

As it happens I don't think anybody should be cutting off bits of children's bodies for non-medical purposes when they are not even able to speak, let alone consent to the operation.

However, you and I both know that FGM generally has worse consequences than male circumcision. In many cases, when carried out in a medically sterile environment, male circumcision probably has no negative consequences whatsoever. Any objection I have to it is to do with the impossibility of a child validly consenting to such an operation, not the consequences of the operation itself. Anyway, this is getting way off topic.

How about the open joking about men being raped in prison. Can we not even pretend that if there were casual joke about women being raped at the same level it would not be fa rmore criticised on this forum?

And what have jokes about men being raped in prison got to do with this? Who here has made those jokes? Has Bahar made those jokes? Is anyone here condoning those jokes? What is your point exactly?

The point is the SJW's on here coming down on anything them deem offensive, any joke or differing opinion they deem wrong, yet these very real things go unmentioned, basically the people calling Bahar a dickhead are scu of the earth. Bring up legitimate points that she is a massive hypocrite and you automatically hate women.

It is just super biased garbage. It is why anything left eing is scoffed at and ridiculed by your avergae person. Because it is no longer about equal rights for women and working class solidarity. It is about being offended by jokes or opinions and blogging that people should be fired or this person hates women because of this comment. It has become pathetic.

autogestión
May 29 2015 15:28
Also the most vocal critics of FGM such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali are hated by feminist in the first world and as hate mail from them constantly, because she calls out muslim abuse of women and girls. Which is wrong, naturally.

Plenty of feminists are actively campaigning against FGM. To the extent that people have an issue with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, it's got nothing to do with her opposition to FGM.

autogestión
May 29 2015 15:33
The point is the SJW's on here coming down on anything them deem offensive, any joke or differing opinion they deem wrong, yet these very real things go unmentioned, basically the people calling Bahar a dickhead are scu of the earth. Bring up legitimate points that she is a massive hypocrite and you automatically hate women.

Your calling Bahar a hypocrite doesn't make me think you hate women, it just makes me think you're wrong about this particular issue.

Your obvious liking for youtube videos of women getting punched, on the other hand...

Fleur
May 29 2015 15:33
Quote:
You are embarassing. You are an introverted coward who feels brave in this safe space to call for violence against those who disagree with you and condemn everyone who does not agree with your views 100%.

Where have I called for violence? Are you feeling threatened by me? I've never even used the KillAllMen hashtag. You're the one who brought up breaking a woman's teeth as being a logical consequence of equal rights, or some such nonsense in your stream of consciousness diatribe.

Fleur
May 29 2015 15:36

Actually, this is totally derailing the Bahar thread and maybe someone should start a Kill All Men thread where the neanderthal MRAs can go and fill their boots.

Fnordie
May 29 2015 15:39

or somebody could just fucking ban this guy already...

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:42
autogestión wrote:
The point is the SJW's on here coming down on anything them deem offensive, any joke or differing opinion they deem wrong, yet these very real things go unmentioned, basically the people calling Bahar a dickhead are scu of the earth. Bring up legitimate points that she is a massive hypocrite and you automatically hate women.

Your calling Bahar a hypocrite doesn't make me think you hate women, it just makes me think you're wrong about this particular issue.

Your obvious liking for youtube videos of women getting punched, on the other hand...

See this is a prime example. Men liking the videos of women assaulting men getting their cummupence is the issue. Not women feeling so confident that they can spit at, insult and violently assault men with no ramifications and when they do experience ramification feminists posting in comment sections saying it is never justified to hit a woman.

Do you really think there is no reason men feel bitter towards feminism other than they don't think women should be equal? Could the double standards not enter into it at all?

The double standards as far as violence and social acceptance of it if it is by a woman towards a man, preferencial treatment in the courts, with alimony, child support, custody. The general entitlement that first world, mainly white women have.

No one has an issue with what most people regard as obvious feminism, equal rights under the law, equal responsibility in society. But that isn't what feminism on forums like these and the twitter SJW's are all about. It is the get people fired for jokes while actual feminists in the third world are fighting for real equality.

The fact you took issue with me liking that video, not the content of the video which was the assault of a man by a woman, tells it all really.

Khawaga
May 29 2015 15:43
Quote:
Also the most vocal critics of FGM such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali are hated by feminist in the first world and as hate mail from them constantly, because she calls out muslim abuse of women and girls. Which is wrong, naturally

.

Muslim abuse? You do realize that FGM is an African cultural tradition and has nothing to do with Islam. Sure there are lots of Muslims that do it, but also lots of Christians, animists and so on. People hate on Hirsi Ali because she's an islamiphobic demagouge and a confirmed liar, not the fgm part.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:43
Fnordie wrote:
or somebody could just fucking ban this guy already...

This is feminism. Brilliant. From the guy who just advocated homeless people stabbing civillians too. AWESOME. Smash patriarchy!