Groups in London?

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
marXthespot's picture
marXthespot
Apr 8 2011 13:23
Groups in London?

I'm social-anarchist who just moved here from Johannesburg. Reaching out for groups, open meetings and like minds.

Thanks in advance for reaching out.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 8 2011 14:53

Does Practical Solidarity still meet (an ongoing anarchist strike support group)? They seem like they had some momentum.

That said, yeah SF and AF. And, just so you know your options, there's an IWW local as well but there very legalistic stance (registering as a trade union, seeking recognition, etc) and heavy involvement of union full-timers puts off many social anarchists.

Yorkie Bar
Apr 8 2011 17:20

The London Anarchist Federation group can be reached at london[at]afed.org.uk. It's open to anyone who agrees to the AF's Aims & Principles.

If you live south of the river though SLSF might be a better bet.

You can, of course, join both.

marXthespot's picture
marXthespot
Apr 8 2011 21:42

Thank you all, this is helpful. I think i will join both smile

georgestapleton's picture
georgestapleton
Apr 11 2011 16:54
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Does Practical Solidarity still meet (an ongoing anarchist strike support group)?

Nope.

Also, I don't want to compete with the AF or SolFed but I'm an anarchist in a, largely Marxist, network of libertarian communists called The Commune. We have meetings in London reasonably frequently and you might be interested in them. If you join the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=100975860952 you'll get informed about any events we are organising.

devotchka
Apr 15 2011 14:12

There is also the new London-wide group forming out of the ashes of the disbanding local Whitechapel Anarchist Group - this blog post will explain....

http://whitechapelanarchistgroup.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/alarming-times%E2%80%A6wag-is-dead/

The first meeting is on 15th May in Kings Cross. All welcome.

Battlescarred
May 7 2011 14:18

Practical Solidarity is not having meetings at the moment, but may be resurrected at some time in fure.
If you want to work with the Anarchist federation in London drop us a line at London@afed.org.uk
and we will let you know about meetings

Grey Goose's picture
Grey Goose
Jan 16 2012 21:14

AFED might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned. I reached out to them during the August disturbance's, asking for propaganda to distribute to yute on road as I was active in Tottenham and Hackney where subsequently I was shift. Luckily the case got NFA'd. They didn't even reply. Infact the whole "left's" response to the situation was pussy as fuck, I really saw some people's true colours over that period. Middle class pussies tryin to distance themselves, saying we not political and just thugs or whatever. I'm left looking like a twat, tellin man to look to the left instead of Islam or gang bullshit and the left shun us. If there's a REAL organization out there that is FOR workin class and under class peoples let me know. I don't care about the technicalities, whether they communist or anarchist; just that they active and they real. Safe.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 16 2012 21:38

I can't speak for AF, but I don't think any anarchist group tried to disassociate themselves from the rioters.

I actually just re-read NL SolFed's statement which I think came out on day three of the riots.* Re-reading it, I think it does reflects the fact that when we wrote it we had comrades who were legitimately afraid there homes might get burnt out, but I don't think the statement in any way distanced ourselves, as anarchists, from the rioters or the social reasons behind the riots.

SolFed also had, for what it's worth, a leaflet that we produced for other groups to use in doing prisoner support work for those arrested during the riots:

http://solfed.org.uk/?q=post-riot-prisoner-support-leaflet

*Another version of the NL statement is available here which states:

"Our entire society is based on worshipping wealth and stealing from the poor, if people choose to strike back and get some of the goods from Argos or Lidl, then we won’t condemn that."

Grey Goose's picture
Grey Goose
Jan 16 2012 21:39

What you sayin then Chilli Sauce? I should check SolFed? Like I said if it's militant and it's active, I'm on it; if not I can't be bothered. The best thing I've seen is the 325 collective's publication but they are not an active contactable group as I understand it. Is there anything like the old Anarchist Youth Network in existence? I wanna be involved but with real heads, you get me?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 16 2012 22:02

Wow, the old AYN, you're opening up a can of worms there my friend...

As for SF, I'm in it, so I'm biased. However, we've made a conscious decision as an organisation to become much more outward looking--picking fights with bosses, developing an workplace organiser training program, and practical literature. From this we've basically doubled in size over the past year.

We may actually have some solidarity actions coming up this week, PM me if you've got days free as that'll be a good way to meet up with folks.

That said, SF definitely has a workplace focus and depending what you're interested in doing, I'd check out groups like ALARM and HSG (I'd say AF, but I think your mind is already made up...).

Awesome Dude's picture
Awesome Dude
Jan 16 2012 23:14
Grey Goose wrote:
I wanna be involved but with real heads, you get me?

Admin edit: don't be rude to new posters.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 16 2012 23:24
Grey Goose wrote:
AFED might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned. I reached out to them during the August disturbance's, asking for propaganda to distribute to yute on road as I was active in Tottenham and Hackney where subsequently I was shift. Luckily the case got NFA'd. They didn't even reply. Infact the whole "left's" response to the situation was pussy as fuck, I really saw some people's true colours over that period. Middle class pussies tryin to distance themselves, saying we not political and just thugs or whatever. I'm left looking like a twat, tellin man to look to the left instead of Islam or gang bullshit and the left shun us. If there's a REAL organization out there that is FOR workin class and under class peoples let me know. I don't care about the technicalities, whether they communist or anarchist; just that they active and they real. Safe.

I'm really surprised to hear London AF didn't get back to you. If you didn't hear from them, I suspect your email went straight to spam or summat daft like that. So unless they actually directly told you they weren't interested, which I'd find very unlikely, you should hold fire on your judgement.

Any one in London group know the score with this? I know we had some email trouble before - can't remember if it was the London address though.

Addition: you've also got Hackney Solidarity Network and Haringey Solidarity Group

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 17 2012 07:49

I mean, I'm also disappoint to hear that AF didn't get back, but there's been numerous other threads with folks basically saying the same thing. (Perhaps that's out of order as I'm not a member, but I know from experience that it's only been in the past year that SF has gotten remotely good about responding to membership inquiries.)

Battlescarred
Jan 17 2012 11:45

Just seen this. If it's the person I think it was, he was immediately emailed back, so looks like he never got our message. There might be a problem with riseup, but anyway, Grey Goose, you were responded to.

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Jan 17 2012 11:59

@grey goose

i would have said if you're in tottenham and wanted to do stuff specifically related to the riots then haringey solidairty group would have been your best bet, they're pretty involved in tottenham defence campaign, long term involvement with residents associations in the area and so on

in terms of other anarchist groups in london near you i'd say
North London Solfed- we have a meeting tomorow evening (wednesday 18th) give us a pm if your about
Alarm-specifically hackey anarchist group https://network23.org/hackneyanarchists/

i'd say theres a fair amount of overlap though, and a number of people are in more than one group, im in solfed,alarm and im trying to set summat more locally aswell

Battlescarred
Jan 17 2012 12:04

While you're all puffing yourselves up, might as well chip in amnd say that London AF is meeting tonight from 7 pm at Freedom

Between Your Teeth's picture
Between Your Teeth
Jan 17 2012 18:04
Grey Goose wrote:

In Nottingham the AF were involved in setting up a riot eviction support group. This after the local Labour council followed the lead of some London councils in calling for the eviction of people from social housing found guilty of riot offences. People stuck leaflets and posters up in several neighbourhoods where the rioting took place and linked up with several people who were being threatened with being kicked out their homes. Now in the end we thankfully weren't needed as it turned out to be kite flying rhetoric and cheap political point scoring, but that mobilisation did take place.

So it's not useful to fling these kind of accusations around. Also calling people pussies is just going to get people's backs up. So it might be best to cut that out if you want people to respond to you in a constructive fashion. and FYI there's a (deserved) crack down on macho posting currently in effect on this forum, so don't be surprised if that sort of stuff attracts a banhammer. Posting guidelines are here.

If you ever need any AF propaganda to hand out and you don't get a response, flag it up on here and someone will spot it. Worst comes to worst, i'll post you some from Nottingham.

Battlescarred
Jan 17 2012 17:26

If you need AF prop I am at Freedom every Wednesday from 12 to 6 to provide contact. Drop in for a chat and a cuppa
Feline Lover

Battlescarred
Jan 17 2012 17:42

Spookily enough Resistance was distributed in Tootenham the day after the riot there

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 17 2012 17:47
Battlescarred wrote:
Spookily enough Resistance was distributed in Tootenham the day after the riot there

Pussy as fuck.

rat's picture
rat
Jan 17 2012 18:19

But Tootenham is a walk in the park.

Shorty's picture
Shorty
Jan 17 2012 18:54

In case of future riots, does the AF do next day delivery? What would be best to use DHL, FedEx or someone else? Say I know an urban insurrection is going to last more than 3 days, do you think normal post would be okay or should I ask for priority post?

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 17 2012 20:52
Shorty wrote:
In case of future riots, does the AF do next day delivery? What would be best to use DHL, FedEx or someone else? Say I know an urban insurrection is going to last more than 3 days, do you think normal post would be okay or should I ask for priority post?

Sizeable donation up front and it's sorted. We aim to please!

Email fuckups excepted embarrassed

Between Your Teeth's picture
Between Your Teeth
Jan 19 2012 19:28
Shorty wrote:

there's this cool new thing called 1st class post. you hand in a parcel and some money and the next day it (usually) arrives at its intended destination smile

Shorty's picture
Shorty
Jan 18 2012 09:59

1st class, eh? Would I have to sign for it? Do you think they'd do care of, such as

Shorty
c/o The Burning Barricade
High St.
etc.
etc.

or if there was a stall outside of curry's they could send it their address maybe.

I'll stop now. embarrassed

Grey Goose's picture
Grey Goose
Jan 19 2012 15:40

"So it's not useful to fling these kind of accusations around. Also calling people pussies is just going to get people's backs up. So it might be best to cut that out if you want people to respond to you in a constructive fashion. and FYI there's a (deserved) crack down on macho posting currently in effect on this forum, so don't be surprised if that sort of stuff attracts a banhammer. Posting guidelines are here."

Between Your Teeth

This exactly the kinda shit that alienates ordinary people, this is why I'm embarrassed to bring anyone from my estate to an actual meeting. I've taken a mate to the bookfair which was bless cause he didn't have to have to sit in the meetings listening to people chat shit. To much rhetoric, feminist nonsense (not sayin ALL feminism is nonsense) and political terminology and whatnot. We clocked some books, chatted to Ian Bone and watched some film about Cuba. He couldn't understand the vegan heads though. Whatever, it was cool. The point is I knew as soon as we sat down in one of those meetings, he'd offend someone's delicate anarcho sensibilities and it would've kicked up a shitstorm. Macho is one thing I have never been accused of until now, wha guan? I'm genuinely searching for an organization that I can relate to and get involved in. Maybe I was too harsh about AFED. Battlescarred says they replied me, well if that's the case then I appreciate it but did not receive. I would have come to your meetings cantdocartwheels and battlescarred, but this site was "on strike" (!?) yesterday and I am only seein replies now. It was just frustrating when some of us were out on road givin the filth a solid pasting I hear certain man from a certain London based anarchist organization are gettin pissed on the sidelines watchin! People that are older than me who was tellin me when I was a likkle yute about anarchism and squattin and all these wonderful ideas not practisin what they preach. I respected those people and when the riots come that they've all been having wet dreams about, they don't set pace?! If you've got kids or you on license (which didn't stop me by the way) or whatever, then you exempt in my eyes. But still relatively young and not participating? It was dispiriting to say the least. Anyways I'm not here to bash anyone or anyone's org in particular, I'm just seeking for something real and relevant. I'm doing a short, part-time course so I've got lots of time for gettin involved in stuff. Anyway it's cas, thanks for feedback.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jan 19 2012 16:29
Quote:
This exactly the kinda shit that alienates ordinary people

Some, sure but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea - massive racism used to be ordinary (still is in a lot of places), ordinary people often think the public sector workers shouldn't strike. Fact is ordinary is often a bit shit, and when it is it sometimes* needs to be dealt with even if it means people flounce off shouting about how weird you are.

Tbh depends on what you want to be doing (and bear in mind libcom's watched by police before replying!) as far as groups go, if you're mostly doing stuff at work, SolFed's more active there. AF's more generalist, Alarm's more streets/borough focused maybe and Haringey Solidarity Group is good for community work. I'd also suggest you take a wander down Freedom Press, there's good people to talk to there most days.

* let it pass in the pub if you like

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jan 19 2012 17:01
Grey Goose wrote:

This exactly the kinda shit that alienates ordinary people, this is why I'm embarrassed to bring anyone from my estate to an actual meeting.

To be fair, you were only being told not to slag people off you don't even know. Most 'ordinary people' understand that.

There is a lot of dodgy stuff in the anarchist 'movement'*, but people on this thread have given you enough heads up on groups you can check out. If you are willing to clean the slate, then Anarchist Federation is a good place to start. As are ALARM (not sure where their website is) and SolFed. But as Rob Ray has already said, it depends what you want.

As for the feminism comment. Sorry man, was going to let it slip, but I can't. i think you are dealing with a strawman here, in the same way as 'ordinary people' deal with 'anarchism' as a strawman. People have certain beliefs about what feminism and anarchism are, neither of them are probably true. Our job is to change these views, not pander to them.

*Stuff that most people on libcom don't ascribe to. like misanthropic green anarchism etc.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 19 2012 17:59

Basically agreeing with the last two posts. Just want to add that I agree, the bookfair has some stomach-turning, cringey shit. I'd argue, FWIW, that libcom has played a role in turning the bookfair towards having more explicit class struggle content.

That said, I think most of us here would have a pretty strong critique of Ian Bone and the Class War model of anarchism and I, personally, would never introduce anyone to Class War* if I want to give them a positive impression of UK anarchism.

*That said, I've heard Bone is a lovely fellow in person.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Jan 19 2012 19:54
Grey Goose wrote:
The point is I knew as soon as we sat down in one of those meetings, he'd offend someone's delicate anarcho sensibilities and it would've kicked up a shitstorm.

haha "delicate anarcho sensibilities" I love that. That's what it seems like to uninitiated people though and I think it's a big problem. The cultish vibe comes from having different rules to everyone else and most often stricter ones.

Grey Goose wrote:
Macho is one thing I have never been accused of until now, wha guan?

What a transformation, from being the softie to being macho by a small context switch. Your posts above would probably count as macho in most circumstances no?

I'ts interesting though. I'm wondering if the issues people are the most sceptical/hostile to are the ones where you are likely to step on toes you didn't know existed. Feminism is getting a lot of crap and my guess is that it's an area where you can be told quite clearly that you're an idiot if you're not up to speed with quite unusual and complex "rules". It's also lingo dense. This applies to other areas aswell I'm just using feminism as an example as it' s been discussed here before.

Would be good if people felt comfortable but was challanged on their shit view.