Information and guidance on how and why you should edit articles on libcom.org.
You may have noticed that, depending on your permissions on the site, most articles on libcom.org have an "edit" button above them.
This is so that our users can help us improve the site, and fix any errors.
To edit in article, just click edit, then make the required changes, in the revisions information box enter the information about what you have changed, for example "fixed typos" and click "save". Your edits will then go into a moderation queue, to be approved by administrators.
Here is some quick guidance on the type of edits which we hope people will make, and which can improve the site and its utility to our users.
- fixing typos
- fixing errors in the text, for example if some text is missing, or if it is a scanned text with some mistakes in it and you have a copy of the original text so that you can correct them. If there is an error in the text, such as a date or place is wrong then it may or may not be appropriate to just fix it directly. Example, if it is an old historical text and the original author made a mistake then it would be more appropriate to add a footnote explaining that the error is in the original. However, for news articles these can just be corrected. Ask in the comment section below the article if you are not sure.
- adding images. If the text does not have an image attached to it, please feel free to add an appropriate one. Or attach and add images throughout the text if you have the time.
- adding hyperlinks to other content on libcom.org. This is something we would really appreciate. If a reference in one article is made to an individual, event, country, organisation or whatever else that we have content elsewhere on libcom.org, please turn the relevant words into a hyperlink to the relevant page. If there is a tag for the keyword then that would be the best page to direct people to. For example:
Maria fought in the Durruti Column (named after Buenaventura Durruti) in the Spanish civil war...
Ideally this would be edited to:
Maria fought in the Durruti Column (named after Buenaventura Durruti ) in the Spanish civil war...
- editing articles to match our style guide. If any articles or badly formatted, or don't match our style guide please feel free to fix them up and make them look nice.
- entering new style footnotes. Any footnotes written with text like  please feel free to replace them with the new style nicely formatted footnotes like this1 .
- entering PDF documents as text. We have quite a few PDF documents in our library, many of them are here. However, we much prefer to have documents in text format on our site. This means we can add links between articles, and also articles are easier to search for on libcom and from Google. So if you have the time to copy the text from PDF documents and paste them up in the body field of their existing article pages it would be very much appreciated. You can leave the original PDF attached to the article.
Many thanks for any help you give us - and any questions please feel free to e-mail us or ask in feedback and content forum.
- 1 Footnote text here
Eyewitness from the anarchist
Eyewitness from the anarchist movement in Russia - public meetings in Ireland
The Irish segments of a European speaking tour with an Anarchist from Moscow who will talk about the anarchist movement in Russia, its successes and failures. Antti Rautiainen lived in Moscow for 13 years, participating in anarchist activities. His residence permit was revoked in March of this year, allegedly because he "called for a violent overthrow of constitutional order, or otherwise endangered the safety of Russian Federation or its citizens". He is member of Autonomous Action and the Anarchist Black Cross of Moscow.
The anarchist movement in Moscow has faced huge challenges in this period, we strongly encourage you to come along and hear Antti's first hand account of these experiences.
In Cork on Sat July 7th, 5pm at Solidarity Books, Douglas St.
In Dublin on Sun, July 8th, 4pm at Seomra Spraoi, 10 Bevedere court D1
In Belfast on Tue, July 10th, 7pm at Na Croisbhealai Workers Co-op cafe
and Derry on Wed, July 11th, 7pm Castlebar Waterloo street