Egyptian uprising - updates and discussion

Egyptian uprising - updates and discussion

Live updates and discussion from the Egyptian uprising which began on 25 January 2011.

From the Egyptian Chronicles blog...

http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com/2011/01/jan25-is-getting-serious.html

Quote:
The January 25th protest is getting serious attention more and more. More Facebook pages and groups are calling for the #25 Jan and more political groups are going to participate in the huge event "They are about 17 groups".Many are praying that it be the start of a new thing in Egypt. Now if you are interested in following the protest on twitter to know its updates then follow this hash tag (#Jan25)

Surprisingly “Salafist movement for reform” aka “HAFS” has announced that it will participate in the event , this is the first time a Salafist movement participates in something like this considering the Salafist believes and teachings. I have my fear and my suspicion which I will keep it to myself. I know that this particular movement  has its political believes still ....

The Mahalla workers will participate too , you may remember how they made their own day on the 6th April from couple of years ago.

Another huge surprise or even change in this protest is its location in Cairo and Giza, it is no longer Down town or Nile corniche but rather at the famous Gamaat Al Doul street in Mohendessin , the heart of the middle class in Giza !! The other places are : Cairo university in Giza , Dawaran Shubra and Dawaran Al Mataria in Cairo.

The NDP will participate too , of course in pro-regime protests of love …etc. May be this will be a showdown between the regime and the opposition , the real opposition in Egypt on who has got the word in the street. There are rumors that the MOI will launch its thugs to create chaos and violence , all what I know for sure is  that the police will not enjoy their holiday because they will have to work.  Personally I think the regime will let that day pass peacefully in order not to push the people in to another degree of anger , the world is now watching the Arab countries post-Tunisian revolution in an anticipation.

The Egyptians in London are going to protest next Sunday January 23, 2011 at 1 PM in front of the Egyptian embassy in London , if you are there and interested in joining them then here is the Egyptian embassy address : 26 South Street, Westminster, London W1K 1DW. There will be also insh Allah a protest in Bologna , Italy. It will be held on the 23rd of January at 12 PM at Piazza del Nettuno. Also on Sunday there will be a protest held at 1 PM  in front of the Egyptian mission to the UN HQ in New York at at 304 East 44th Street.  Now it will not be the last capital in the world that will witness a protest in front of the Egyptian embassy or mission on that coming Sunday because there will be a protest in our embassy in Madrid at 1 PM too.

Our  great Tunisian brothers are going to protest in solidarity with the Egyptian people in front of the Egyptian embassy next January 25, 2011. Also our dear Jordanian brothers are going to protest inn front of the Egyptian embassy next January 25 ,2011. Our brothers in Yemen sent a solidarity email to the admin of “We are all Khaled Said” page.

Just like El General in Tunisia the Egyptian rap singers and bands are making songs for the #Jan25 just  like this one by rapper Ahmed Rock.There are lots of video clips on YouTube made by activists to encourage the people to participate in the protest of #Jan25.

Posted By

Mark.
Jan 23 2011 13:13

Attached files

Comments

squaler
Feb 2 2011 11:37

attempts at recuperation look strong today!

-internet is back on
-pro mubarak forces are on the street, appear aggressive
-stories of people 'switching sides' that they have gotten enough from mubarak now... gamal has no chance and that is a "victory"....

well what happens today should be telling. Amr Moussa yesterday suggested it would be enough if mubarak said he wouldn't stand. I think that works well for both him and baradei, gives them a chance to 'prove themselves' to an egyptian populace who don't know them well. If this stops here, I wonder what will happen to the brothers/bedouin escaped from prison?

squaler
Feb 2 2011 11:40

from G liveblog

11.30am: The families of those arrested in the protests are demanding answers about their loved ones at an army headquarters in Alexandria where they are being detained, writes Peter Bouckaert, emergencies director for Human Rights Watch.

About 150 angry relatives are gathered outside the army HQ in Alexandria, desperate for information about their missing relatives. The army has not produced any lists of those they have detained, and have not allowed anyone into the base to visit the detainees. We tried to gain access, but were refused. One old woman told me she had been there since Saturday, looking for her son, and had no news. The relatives are very concerned about the treatment the detainees are receiving.

As we were there, a group of female relatives of the detained started a protest, shouting 'We want our children, give us back our children!'

The situation is very tense. The army has used the HQ as a detention centre for all of the suspected looters and other troublemakers handed over to them by the neighbourhood security committees since Friday. This is an unfamiliar role for the army, and they are clearly at a loss as to what to do. Many of the detainees are probably innocent, just caught in the wrong neighborhood without identification.

The army is in a difficult position, as it has no evidence of wrongdoing by most of the detainees and no judicial system to process or release them. But they are the only functioning security institution.

At the very least, the army should publish a complete list of the detainees and allow lawyers to visit them and ensure they are properly treated. And they should release the innocent as soon as possible.

Auto
Feb 2 2011 11:47

Fuck, looks like there's a strong attempt to try and break the spirit of the protesters.

I hope they can resist it, but it seems like revolutionary potential is growing weaker. The army now also seems to be taking the government line: 'go back to your homes, you've been listened to'.

Shit.

Mark.
Feb 2 2011 12:09

EA liveblog

Quote:
1155 GMT: Al Arabiya reports that pro-Mubarak demonstrators have attacked one of its crews, destroying their equipment.

CNN's Hala Gorani adds, "The pro-Mubaraks are out to cause trouble: one tried to whack a camera out of our shooter's hands."

1150 GMT: Dan Nolan of Al Jazeera reports, "Anti-Mubarak protestors tried to block pro-Mubarak crowd at Cairo Museum but failed. Now they're all in [Tahrir] Square. Army very tense now!"

And then: "No violence yet but Egyptian v Egyptian. In each other's faces. No army to stop this in middle of square. Hope things hold but easily ignited."

1115 GMT: John Rugman of Britain's Channel 4 reports from Tahrir Square in Cairo that the Army is keeping out a pro-Mubarak crowd. "We don't want revolution, we want security," soldiers say, "Let [Mubarak] go in September."

1105 GMT: Al Jazeera showing footage of thousands of pro-Mubarak protesters about State TV building, which is about 1/2 kilometre (.3 mile) from Tahrir Square in Cairo.

The channel is now juxtaposing shots of the two locations.

1055 GMT: Reporter Jon Jensen is with a pro-Mubarak march of about 100 people in Dokki.

Mark.
Feb 2 2011 12:39

The revolt in Egypt

Quote:
A collection of articles looking at the mass revolt against the regime of Mubarak that has taken place in Egypt over the last week written by members of the WSM in Ireland for the WSM web site.

Footage from Tahrir Square, Monday

Mark.
Feb 2 2011 12:49

EA liveblog

Quote:
1235 GMT: Plumes of white smoke now appearing in Tahrir Square.

1230 GMT: Al Jazeera now showing live footage of skirmishes between pro-regime and anti-regime groups in Tahrir Square, with throwing of stones and charging of each other's lines.

An anti-regime demonstrator says others have been wounded by stones thrown by pro-Mubarak protesters.

Comment on the CEMB thread

Iraqi Atheist wrote:

The Arab media is reporting as if the whole thing is over. They think that Mubarak's offer should be accepted.

I hope the Egyptian people don't fall for that. If everyone trusted Mubarak and went back home, they'd be making a big mistake. In 8 months Mubarak can crack down on tens of thousands of dissidents and make an example of them.

You are almost there, don't give up.

I won't be able to do any more updates today so if anyone has the time to follow events it would be useful.

squaler
Feb 2 2011 13:20

I think we should take the media reports today with a grain of salt. I reckon pro mubarak sentiments among egyptians will be over-reported, if not out of straight bias, then out of the fact that it is a more unique news story (at the moment) than demonstrations are still continuing. It looks to me as if attempts at recuperation are heavy handed, and we may yet see a backlash. Even if people are quiet until friday (in terms of demonstrations, internet should be a livewire), this could make the revolution lose momentum, or it could be a bit of respite for worn out demonstraters. Time will tell, I still hold out hope.

squaler
Feb 2 2011 13:22

AJ: police are back, they are behind pro mubarak demonstrators clashing with pro revolutionaries, tear gas have gone off and army has no tear gas, AJ Arabic reports police IDs among pro mubarak demonstrators

Matt_efc
Feb 2 2011 13:25

This is insane. Obviously police involvement here. From what I can tell at the moment the Anti government lot seem to have held them off for a bit, but this is just going to run all day.

squaler
Feb 2 2011 13:29

someone mentioned the mounted cops had whips

3arabawy:

SabbyDhalu Let's stop calling them pro Mubarak supporters. Call them plain clothes police. They're armed + organised #Egypt #Jan25

NDP thugs try to storm @shorouk_news office in Mohandessin RT

rallaf On Aljazeera, a man is showing police ID of one of the thugs who charged the peaceful protesters! #jan25 #Egypt

RT @justimage: Anti Mubarak captured horses from pro Mubarak, kids and others riding them around tahrir. #jan25 #egypt

squaler
Feb 2 2011 13:31

G liveblog:

1.24pm:Mubarak supporter came in on camels and horses, according to AP.

Several thousand supporters of President Hosni Mubarak, including some riding horses and camels and wielding whips, attacked anti-government protesters today as Egypt's upheaval took a dangerous new turn.

In chaotic scenes, the two sides pelted each other with stones, and protesters dragged attackers off their horses.

The turmoil was the first significant violence between supporters of the two camps in more than a week of anti-government protests. It erupted after Mubarak went on national television the night before and rejected demands he step down immediately and said he would serve out the remaining seven months of his term.

In the early afternoon around 3,000 Mubarak supporters break through a human chain of anti-government protesters trying to defend thousands gathered in Tahrir.

Chaos erupted as they tore down banners denouncing the president. Fistfights broke out as they advanced across the massive square in the heart of the capital. The anti-government protesters grabbed Mubarak posters from the hands of the supporters and ripped them.

The two sides began hurling stones and bottles and sticks at each other, chasing each other as the protesters' human chains moved back to try to shield the larger mass of demonstrators at the plaza's centre.

At one point, a small contingent of pro-Mubarak forces on horseback and camels rushed into the anti-Mubarak crowds, swinging whips and sticks to beat people. Protesters retaliated, dragging some from their mounts, throwing them to the ground and beating their faces bloody.

Protesters were seen running with their shirts or faces bloodied, some men and women in the crowd were weeping. A scent of tear gas wafted over the area, but it was not clear who had fired it.

The army troops who have been guarding the square had been keeping the two sides apart earlier in the day, but when the clashes erupted they did not intervene. Most took shelter behind or inside the armored vehicles and tanks stationed at the entrances to Tahrir.

Boris Badenov
Feb 2 2011 14:14

My, and most people's I presume, fears of violent counterrevolution have sadly been confirmed today. At this stage, if the army steps in on the side of the government, the revolt will probably be crushed. It is very disturbing to watch these armed thugs charge into the crowd of protesters (CNN is airing some grainy but pretty suggestive footage atm).

Auto
Feb 2 2011 14:28

I don't know what the fuck the army is up to. First they let the Mubarak 'supporters' into the square without taking weapons off them. Now they are apparently trying to seperate the two sides.

Seems like the journalists have finally come to the correct conclusion - the protestors are actually police.

no1
Feb 2 2011 14:37

Has there been any development in the direction of a general strike?

Matt_efc
Feb 2 2011 14:44

I honestly think the Army might have been caught slightly on the hop. It wouldnt suprise me as there does seem to be genuine sympathy from some quarters of the Army. Trying to play them off, rather than directly commanding them.

But I've never seen anything like this, so its just idle speculation really at this point

squaler
Feb 2 2011 14:50

One thing I am thinking: the undercover police (as one tweet suggested, we shouldn't really call them pro-mubarak demonstrators. another I saw referred to them as 'anti-revolutionaries' which I suppose is apt and vague enough to include any mubarak supporters not on the state payroll) are being quite heavy handed, in my opinion too soon. This should work against recuperation. People should be legitimitely outraged at what's happening, if not exactly surprised. It is disgusting to see and read this and I worry for my friends there now, and I know I am writing this from the safety of london, but:

If they had not been so heavy handed, if their recuperation efforts work, and mubarak is allowed to stay til september (something I think the opposition parties want but will not (besides amr moussa) say, as they have to show themselves to be tough in front of the protesters, but surely want more time to build their repressed political movements) I reckon we would see a much greater massacre than we are seeing now, only it wouldn't be on al jazeera.

squaler
Feb 2 2011 15:02

huge rocks and chairs being thrown down from tops of buildings

squaler
Feb 2 2011 15:06

rock tossers from rooftops apparently were throwing at anti govt people, friend who saw it says, at the same time the thugs started tossing mollies down below, maybe coordinated...

AJ says people were running for their lives, rocks were huge you can imagine

squaler
Feb 2 2011 15:44

anti mubarak demonstrator inside square next to large rocks falling sounds quite scared, says tens of injured, can't get ambulances, no medical care, tanks at both entrances but can't do anything without hitting both

everytime the pro mubarak people try to break in the square we push them out but at the cost of many wounded on our side each time

men at front lines trying to protect us, women in the middle chanting we're peaceful...

she's crying

not the same interview but sounds about the same time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqoRzSkmX88

squaler
Feb 2 2011 15:41

http://ow.ly/i/7LHa
picture of the mounted charge earlier on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGeVjAJ0MWE
and video of the same
-----
I'll try to combine posts more so as not to spam the thread, just got this in my FB news feed:

@Dima_Khatib: New York Times reporter @NickKristof confirms he saw buses arrive onto Tahrir Square full of people armed, described as very menacing
----
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2011/02/obama-to-mubarak-license-to-murder.html

also from the angry arab:
class conflict in Egypt: the upper class shows its ugly head
""The poor people think that if Mubarak leaves they will be rich," said Farag, the jeweler. "Will the price of meat drop from $3 [a pound] to 30 cents if he goes?" "These people take four wives and have 15 or 20 kids and then wonder why they are poor," said Hani Farouk, 33, who lives in the wealthy suburb of Maadi."
-----
army special forces in tahrir:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elhamalawy/5404489225/

baboon
Feb 2 2011 15:49

It looks to me like Mubarak is finished. Now, a military junta under the intelligence boss Suileman is running Egypt. There's a misconception above that the army is a solid, homogeneous unit that either backs the demonstrators or confronts them - that is a simplistic picture, it is not. There are many conscript elements liable to side with the masses and there is a very strong element that is not only supporting the state but is the state. Special and secret forces are everywhere and they will have the backing of the US and the British (the current head of MI6 is the recent British ambassador to Egypt - he will know Suileman and his cronies very well. The latter is also well connected to the CIA). According to The Guardian today, Suileman doesn't "just pull the strings but the ropes as well".

I may be wrong, but to me yesterday Tahrir Square looked like a kettle; massive and sophisticated yes, but a kettle nevertheless with pressure relief valves, exits and entrances dotted around some definitely controlled by the army (and we know that there are at least some special forces surrounded the Square - and these have probably been reinforced).

Another brief point: leftism has generally seen the Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza at the "cutting edge" of the class struggle in the Arab world. Such a view has been blown to pieces by these revolts which has shown the Palestinians as extremely weak and under the control of Fatah and Hamas. This has further exposed the position of leftism (by that I mean the SWP, etc.) as supporters of imperialist division. Though no doubt they are jumping on the "revolutionary bandwagon" now.

squaler
Feb 2 2011 15:59

EA live blog:

1545 GMT: Reports of a petrol bomb thrown at the National Museum, where the front-line battle has been waged. An ambulance is trying to make its way to Tahrir Square.

1540 GMT: P.J. Crowley of the State Department has posted on Twitter, "We reiterate our call for all sides in #Egypt to show restraint and avoid violence."

That has brought the short, sharp response from a Middle East analyst: "ALL SIDES?"

1523 GMT: An Army vehicle with pro-Mubarak supporters appears to have moved towards Tahrir Square.

1513 GMT: Mohamed ElBaradei calls for Army intervention.

An Al Jazeera correspondent says he was attacked during a broadcast by a pro-Mubarak group but was saved by warning shots from the Army.

1510 GMT: More on-air shouting, close to panic, from an observer for Al Jazeera English who talks of "tens" of injured: "Where are the ambulances?....There is no one to help us."

She says every pro-Mubarak charge into the Square has been repulsed but "each time we have tens of wounded".

AJ liveblog:

5:11pm Female anti-government protester telling Al Jazeera that they cannot leave the square even if she wanted to - she is crying on air and sounds very scared and emotional.

5:07pm Al Jazeera's web producer in Cairo says that a number of people are being hit by rocks and anti-government demonstrators are also being targeted from buildings above.

They are throwing Molotov cocktails at the anti-Mubarak protesters. The army has backed off from the Corniche - they used to have a few tanks on the beachfront road, but they have pulled out now.

g liveblog:

3.42pm: Al-Jazeera just showed some kind of burning object being thrown from a building into the crowd in central Cairo.

3.39pm: Al-Jazeera is showing smoke rising from a building in the centre of Cairo.

3.31pm: Al-Jazeera is now reporting pro-Mubarak supporters dropping concrete blocks off the roofs of buildings on to protesters. I can't confirm that.

odd one this: http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/egypt.html

Boris Badenov
Feb 2 2011 16:05

It looks like molotovs are being heavily used against protesters right now. Pro-Mubarak thugs are indiscriminately attacking everyone, including (Western) journalists.

Auto
Feb 2 2011 16:09

It's looking like a massacre. The protestors are holding on, but every time they resist more get killed and injured.

What happens next? I just can't figure out where Egypt goes from here.

Boris Badenov
Feb 2 2011 16:10

Footage on CNN shows a truck that is now on fire, and the sound of at least one machine gun can be heard in the background. This is looking to become increasingly brutal.

Boris Badenov
Feb 2 2011 16:11

Anderson Cooper, who is on location, claims that the people in the square "are now trapped."

Ed
Feb 2 2011 16:13
squaler
Feb 2 2011 16:22

@DailyNewsEgypt: Witness said organizers paying people LE 100 to take part in the pro-Mubarak rally: AFP #jan25#Egypt

the google link above has a live twitter feed thing... idk if that's normal for twitter users, I don't use twitter, but I find it useful

Boris Badenov
Feb 2 2011 16:26

someone on twitter (@AhmedFatah) is claiming the army is actually moving to kettle the protesters and close off the square's exits.