Spanish civil war and revolution photo gallery, 1936-39

Anarchist workers in the Spanish revolution

Photo gallery of anarchists and other workers who attempted a social revolution after the military uprising of the right-wing General Francisco Franco in July 1936. Thanks to anarchismus.at for supplying some of the pictures.

Posted By

Ed
Feb 20 2012 13:30

Share

Attached files

Comments

Malyuta
May 4 2013 02:08

Ed,
Stalinist Russia WAS involved with the Spanish Civil War! This war not only had the full backing of Stalin, but Spanish children were targeted to be taken to the Soviet Union for indoctrination!

As for you guys' abysmal equating fascism with the Catholic Church, you have apparently no idea concerning the friction that existed between the Catholic Church and Mussolini. Despite his totalitarian government, given that Italy's citizenship was almost all devoutly Catholic, he was forced, against his will, to respect the rights of the Church. Pope Pius XI and the Italian government negotiated the Lateran Treaty and a Concordat. The government had to acknowledge the complete sovereignty of the Papacy and thus recognized Vatican City as an independent state. But during the years of Mussolini's fascist rule he violated the Concordat. Some examples: he imposed certain restrictions on marriage on the basis of race, he interfered with religious education and showed in many ways that he wished his totalitarian regime to be supreme over the Church. Though the Church did want amicable relations with the Italian government, it refused to sanction any violations of her rights. So much for your Catholic-Fascism equation.

Also, read about what Polish and other Slavic Catholics suffered at the hands of Nazism. Many thousands were brutally murdered because of harbouring Jews. And the Pope? He harboured over 800,000 Jews in the Vatican. But why was he "silent?" He was only protecting himself because the Nazis were going to kidnap him.

There goes your Catholic-Fascist theory (ies).

As for the Spanish Civil War, as a devout Catholic, I can only lament the numbers game insofar as Catholic Spain was concerned:
13 prelates massacred
14,000 Priests, Sisters, and Monks massacred
22,000 churches and chapels pillaged and burned
500,000 civilians massacred

Believe me, I care less about your anarchistic confreres of yore!

jolasmo
May 4 2013 02:06
Malyuta wrote:
-I'm not anti-semitic, but would it be true that the Spanish Civil War was aided by Hollywood Jews? (Just asking. I only read this).

"I'm not anti-semitic, but would it be true that the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world? (Just asking. But I heard Mel Gibson said it, so it must be true.)"

Seriously, ban.

~J.

Malyuta
May 4 2013 02:22

By the way, if you all are against Stalinism like you say you are, then how come this website does not have any repercussions against his regime? Why ONLY fascism?

Plus I notice some of you sport a picture of Mao Zedung in your profile pics. You know he was another bloodthirsty butcher, right?

Malyuta
May 4 2013 02:27

Can one of you do me a favor? Please show me how I can withdraw from this webpage, because I'm getting nowhere with you people (or reds). I'm sorry I created an account. I want to leave. I can't seem to find a way to get the hell out, someone needs to show me the prompts for that. Because no matter how brutal of a historical picture I present for you guys of your confreres of yore, you'll always look the other way. You are too comfortable in your leftist, red bubble.

jolasmo
May 4 2013 02:39
Malyuta wrote:
By the way, if you all are against Stalinism like you say you are, then how come this website does not have any repercussions against his regime? Why ONLY fascism?

Try here: http://libcom.org/history/review-revolution-counterrevolution-class-struggle-moscow-metal-factory-worker-resistanc

Or here: http://libcom.org/history/strikes-against-stalin-1930s-russia-jeffrey-rossman

~J.

jolasmo
May 4 2013 02:48
Malyuta wrote:
Can one of you do me a favor? Please show me how I can withdraw from this webpage, because I'm getting nowhere with you people (or reds). I'm sorry I created an account. I want to leave. I can't seem to find a way to get the hell out, someone needs to show me the prompts for that. Because no matter how brutal of a historical picture I present for you guys of your confreres of yore, you'll always look the other way. You are too comfortable in your leftist, red bubble.

Step 1: Move your cursor up to the top of your browser window. You should see a button with a little red cross.

Step 2: Click on the button.

Step 3: Congratulations, you have escaped from the evil communist webpage.

~J.

petey
May 4 2013 03:12
Auld-bod wrote:
From Paul Preston’s ‘The Spanish Holocaust’ (Harper Press, 2012)

yes i read that last year - or some of it, it made me too furious to finish it. even the author speaks of the emotional toll the research took on him.

Black Badger
May 4 2013 05:39

Good riddance to bad garbage.

Malyuta
May 4 2013 07:47

And have fun continuing your inebriation of red Kood-Aide!

Ed
May 4 2013 11:11

For Malyuta, if you're still here..

Quote:
Stalinist Russia WAS involved with the Spanish Civil War! This war not only had the full backing of Stalin

Yes, but if you actually read our view on the civil war, Stalin's involvement had a negative impact on the working class and there efforts against fascism in the Spanish Civil War.. seriously, there are zero Stalin supporters here.. Also, you'll notice in my picture of Mao he's holding a Nike high-top trainer.. it's called irony (to be very clear: I feel the same way about Mao as I feel about Stalin, negatively)..

Quote:
As for you guys' abysmal equating fascism with the Catholic Church, you have apparently no idea concerning the friction that existed between the Catholic Church and Mussolini.

First, there's no equating of the Catholic Church with fascism here. I might have massive problems with the Catholic Church but it's not the same as fascism, nor are all Catholics fascists. But the Catholic Church supported fascism in Spain, no? Both before and after the Civil War? So what's that, like a 50 year period? How could that be anything apart from a completely disgraceful act?

As for Italy, yeah, sure the Church opposed Mussolini when it infringed on its rights, but that's hardly humanitarian, is it? Meanwhile the support of the Church was essential for Mussolini's rise to power.. any arguments they had after that were minor squabbles, as could be seen by the fact that the anti-fascist guerrilla movements in Italy were almost entirely made up of left-wingers, with very few Catholic formations (something you'd expect more of in such a Catholic country, no?).

Seriously though, not all Catholics are fascist and honestly I don't know much about whether the Pope saved 800,000 Jews from the Nazis or whatever. But even if it was true, does that excuse the fact that they aligned themselves with a fascist dictatorship is Spain for almost 50 years? That they helped Mussolini in his rise to power in Italy? Not to mention military dictatorships across Latin America?

And with regards to Spain, it's about time you caught on that the Catholic Church was, quite simply, on the side of those who advocated massacre, torture and rape of civilians as a military and political strategy.

Auld-bod
May 4 2013 16:45

In case anyone gives any credence to the ravings of Malyuta in his post regarding the numbers of ‘Catholic Spain’ dead – 500,000 civilians massacred, etc.

Paul Preston in The Spanish Holocaust writes:

‘Recent scholarship, not only for Catalonia but also for most of Republican Spain, has dramatically dismantled the propagandistic allegations made by the rebels at the time. On 18 July 1938 in Burgos, Franco himself claimed that 54,000 people had been killed in Catalonia. In the same speech, he alleged that 70,000 had been murdered in Madrid and 20,000 in Valencia. On the same day, he told a reporter there had already been a total of 470,000 murders in the Republican zone. To prove the scale of Republican iniquity to the world, on 26 April 1940 he set up a massive state investigation, the Causa General, ‘to gather trustworthy information’ to ascertain the true scale of the crimes committed in the Republican zone. Denunciation and exaggeration were encouraged. Thus it came as a desperate disappointment to Franco when, on the basis of the information gathered, the Causa General concluded that the number of deaths was 85,940. although inflated and including many duplications, this figure was still so far below Franco’s claims that, for over a quarter of a century, it was omitted from editions of the published resume of the Causa General’s findings.’
(Prologue, page xix)

Preston’s book, as petey says, is a hard read and I’ve been digesting it in small bits. I think it gets worse as it goes on: 12 ‘Franco’s Slow War of Annihilation’, etc. The only thing I’ve read that’s comparable is Solzhenitsyn’s ‘The Gulag Archipelago’ trilogy.

Malyuta
May 5 2013 06:01

Ed,
The Church was AGAINST Mussolini and his regime. Perhaps read more on the Lateran Treaty and the Concordat between the Pope and Mussolini to settle the so-called Roman question.

As far as military brutalities in Latin America are concerned: Catholics were very often the target of these, not supporters. One example: Archbishop Oscar Romero who was Archbishop of San Salvador. He was very much an anti-fascist and dedicated his career to helping the poor. Consider this following famous saying of his: "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist."
He was shot and killed by right-winged forces.

Also, Cardinal Stepinac, of Yugoslavia, when Tito was in power, was victimized by both the Communists and the Nazis. The Communists accused him of being a Nazi supporter but then the Nazis imprisoned him. He died a martyr. He was against both regimes.

Also, any equation with fascism and Catholicism is a slap in the face to those Catholics who, during Hitler's regime, risked their lives by harbouring Jews-priests, nuns, and lay people. My people, Polish Catholics, suffered untold brutalities and indignities! Hitler referred to us as half-dog and half-human. His goal was to have Poland eliminated from the map and germanized, affecting both Jews and Catholics.

Ed
May 5 2013 10:49

Malyuta, this has been great but I'm getting very aware that this has stopped being a discussion about the Spanish Civil War and started being a conversation about Catholicism and fascism in general.. so I'd suggest either you start addressing all the things people have said here about the Catholic Church's involvement in the Spanish Civil War or you start a new thread in the forums about Catholicism's opposition to fascism around the world (you are of course free to do both)..

Really though, it is curious for me that, under a photo gallery about the Spanish civil war, your last post doesn't mention Spain once.. why is that?

Black Badger
May 5 2013 14:09

Hey Mal, I thought you were leaving. Didn't your Catholic indoctrination teach you that it's a sin to tell a lie?

Admin snip: this is a no flaming forum.

Uncreative
May 5 2013 20:05
jolasmo wrote:
Malyuta wrote:
By the way, if you all are against Stalinism like you say you are, then how come this website does not have any repercussions against his regime? Why ONLY fascism?

Try here: http://libcom.org/history/review-revolution-counterrevolution-class-struggle-moscow-metal-factory-worker-resistanc

Or here: http://libcom.org/history/strikes-against-stalin-1930s-russia-jeffrey-rossman

~J.

You can prove anything with facts, J.

Malyuta
May 6 2013 01:26

flaneur,
First of all, it's very interesting how you twisted and added to my comment: you make it look like Nazis were harbouring Jews! LOL!

I suggest you read this following book written by a Jewish Rabbi (yes, Rabbi): "The Myth of Hitler's Pope, How Pope Pius XII Rescued Jews from the Nazis" by Rabbi David G. Dalin. Here is a Jew dismantling and ripping to shreds all delusions about the Pope having been complicit in the holocaust.

Plus the Chief Rabbi of Rome, Rabbi Israel Zolli, considered Pope Pius XII his hero; he converted to the Catholic Faith after the war. And I'll repeat here: this Pope harboured around 800,000 Jews in the Vatican but the reason why he was "silent" is because the Nazis were going to kidnap him. I don't know who is bamboozling you with a bunch of twisted information; anti-Catholic liberal acadamia I presume.

Malyuta
May 6 2013 01:26

Ed,
I think your reason for sporting a picture of Mao in your profile pic is a flimsy one. If anyone would sport a picture of Hitler for the same flimsy "irony" reason, what would you think of that person? Not very highly I presume. Both men were bloodthirsty butchers.

Malyuta
May 6 2013 01:30

Uncreative and jolasmo, thanks for the info.

Malyuta
May 6 2013 01:28

Black Badger,
I wanted to leave but there seem to be no prompts on this website to disable my account. Sorry for "lying."

Malyuta
May 6 2013 03:08

Before you guys suspect I may be a fascist or some extreme right winger, no! I'm a Democrat, and very in touch with helping the poor and downtrodden.

And before you go around labeling and stereotyping Catholics as fascists, then you may as well stereotype other people (which is precisely against your own values): that ALL Jews are rich, ALL African Americans have rhythm, All Native Americans can't hold their liquor, ALL gays are promiscuous and ALL Poles are dumb! Most Catholics I have ever known were moderate...many even progressive.

I KNOW what fascism has done to my father's beloved Catholic Poland! That regime practically turned that country upside down! Thanks to both that regime AND Communism, it was no longer the country daddy knew as a child. In fact, after the war, my father was not ever able to return to his hometown and live there again, because after the Germans did all their dirty work, his hometown was annexed into the Soviet Union!

I've been to Poland, I've been to Auschwitz and I've seen, with my own eyes, the atrocities both Catholics and Jews suffered thanks to that monster Hitler's smokestacks!

A Catholic priest, Fr. Maximillian Kolbe, gave his life for a Jewish family, otherwise the father of that family would have been killed.

We knew a Polish lady who lost a child because a Nazi kicked her in the stomach!

Every single Polish man I ever knew still had the concentration camp mark on his forearm (not my dad because he fought under General Eisenhower).

Poland, after the war, had a high rate of children with mental and emotional problems because of the war (read the book, "Did The Children Cry? Hitler's War Against Jewish and Polish Children, 1939-45." by Richard C. Lukas)

And really, when you give carte blanche to Fascism being grafted as a trademark to Catholicism, you are stepping on the memory and honor of my people-those who risked their lives by helping Jews escape the otherwise fate of being sent to the camps! Any discovery by the Gestapo would result in imprisonment and, in many cases, death!

petey
May 6 2013 03:30

i'd like to bring this back to the o.p.

petey
May 6 2013 03:28
Malyuta wrote:
I'm a Democrat, and very in touch with helping the poor and downtrodden.

holy mother of god

Malyuta
May 6 2013 03:40

By grafting Fascism onto Catholicism, you are laying at my doorstep something my people fought against during the war!

And petey, your point???

teh
May 6 2013 04:02
Malyuta wrote:
Ed,
I think your reason for sporting a picture of Mao in your profile pic is a flimsy one. If anyone would sport a picture of Hitler for the same flimsy "irony" reason, what would you think of that person? Not very highly I presume. Both men were bloodthirsty butchers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sots_Art
https://www.google.com/search?q=John+Heartfield&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm...

Ed
May 6 2013 06:35
Malyuta wrote:
And before you go around labeling and stereotyping Catholics as fascists

Malyuta,are you even reading my posts? I said,

Quote:
Seriously though, not all Catholics are fascist

But I also said that for a wider discussion of the Catholic Church's relationship to fascism, please start another thread. This is a gallery of photos from the Spanish Civil War so can we keep discussion here related to... the Spanish Civil War.

Future off-topic posts (from anyone) will be deleted.

Malyuta
May 6 2013 19:37

And before you go around labeling and stereotyping Catholics as fascists
Malyuta,are you even reading my posts? I said,

Quote:

Seriously though, not all Catholics are fascist

Yes, Ed, I'm reading your posts; very attentively. You seem to think the Church officially supported Fascism. True, there may have been some isolated instances of fascistic behavior on the part of some individual Catholics (we're all human); But, as a whole? No, the Church never officially supported or condoned Fascism, at least not coming out of the Holy See. It suffered because of it as I have attempted to point out in this blog.

Malyuta
May 6 2013 20:32

Ed,
You wish for me to limit my posts to the subject of the Spanish Civil War? Fine. Click on the above photo which comes out of the pictorial collection on this blog. This photo should speak volumes! And with that, I rest my case.

Ed
May 6 2013 21:12

I'm guessing (coz it's not obvious from what you're talking about) that you're referring to the picture of the militiamen 'executing' a statue of Christ.. if so, two things;

1) it's a statue.. I know that for you it represents something important (which is cool, I've no beef with people just coz they're religious), but it's nowhere near the same as, say, the mass murder of 1,500 civilians in one day at Badajoz City and the mass rape of survivors ordered by the military. I highlight ordered because, as was stated before, it's acknowledged that atrocities happened on both sides, but there's a difference between it happening as a result of all order breaking down, and it happening by diktat.. and ultimately it shows in the numbers killed..

2) you're failing to ask yourself why people would want to shoot symbols of the church? Your claim that fascistic sympathies was down to a few individuals is, to put it bluntly, bollocks.. seriously, just wikipedia that shit.. many of the groups on the side of the fascists were Catholics (like the Carlists) and fighting the republic to defend a Christian nation.. and as for there being no 'official' support from the Church..

Quote:
Throughout the war, the majority of Spanish Catholic figures opposed the Republic, considering the Republic as "the enemy of God and the Church" due to the Republic's anti-clerical activities, including shutting down Catholic schools.[37]
In 1938, Vatican City officially recognized Franco's Spanish State.[38] At this point the Vatican barred any Catholics from supporting the Republic.[39]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_faction_(Spanish_Civil_War)#Vatican_City

Seriously, no matter how great some of the things that many Catholics have done were, they Catholic Church acted fucking disgustingly in the Spanish civil war..

jolasmo
May 6 2013 22:15

And just to put that in perspective, the Vatican refused to recognise the Italian state for over 60 years following Italian unification, only doing so after Mussolini's rise to power.

~J.