Meritocracy: a sweet lie we’re told to make capitalism seem fair. But is this lie actually sweet? Is meritocracy something good to strive for, or is it trash?
This video will:
1. Discuss how belief in meritocracy is used to manipulate us into supporting a system that’s against our interests
2. Present evidence that meritocracy is a myth
3. Argue that capitalists get rich not by merit but by owning assets, and profit gained from this is a form of theft
4. Make the case that meritocracy is not a desirable goal
5. Present a preferable alternative to meritocracy described by Kropotkin in The Conquest of Bread