What was the last film you watched? v3

1101 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spikymike
Jan 10 2017 13:00

Well I saw the 'Paterson' film at the cinema in December but I'm afraid it didn't grab me. There is a reasonable review I found later on this Trot site here: www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/01/03/pate-j03.html

But I did watch on the telly a 2011 American film called ''A Better Life'' centred on a father/son relationship which is set against the troubled background of the legal and illegal Mexican and Latino population of East side LA. Better than most I thought.

cactus9
Jan 12 2017 21:27

I just saw an amazing documentary called Half Way, shot by a young woman whose family became homeless. It's amazing both in being a beautifully shot and told human story and a shocking tale about housing in the UK today. Definitely see it if you can.

https://www.halfwayfilm.co.uk

potrokin
Jan 16 2017 10:35

Submarine, it's a comedy film about a guy growing up in Wales in the 1980s, directed by Richard Ayoade. It was great.

jura's picture
jura
Jan 15 2017 19:40

The 13th, a documentary about the mass incarceration of blacks. Very useful for people who (like me) don't know that much about race relations in the US.

What Happened, Miss Simone?, a fascinating portrait of Nina Simone. What a lifetime. I never knew she was so heavily involved in the civil rights movement, that she rejected "non-violence" and was friends with Carmichael etc. Shame about the separatism, though.

Could someone please recommend some other documentaries that deal with race in the US?

adri
Jan 17 2017 15:44

I remember seeing an interview about the 13th doc on Democracy Now. I just saw it myself and would recommend it to anyone else wanting to learn about the different forms racism has taken in America after slavery. I can't think of any other documentaries off the top of my head. Chomsky and Davis (who's featured in this doc) have sat down before to discuss US racial history (among other topics), if you're interested in seeing that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQe_eBtghn8

I'm watching the documentary based off Herman and Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent.

Fleur
Jan 17 2017 16:04

The 13th is excellent and I would really recommend watching it. I can't really recommend any documentaries because I hardly ever watch TV but the book which The 13th heavily draws from is excellent - The New Jim Crow. Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander. (Michelle Alexander appears in the film.)
Also looking at race in America from a historical perspective - Slavery by Another Name by Douglas Blackmon.

I guess I should have put them in the recommended reading thread but seeing as The 13th came up here.... smile

potrokin
Jan 30 2017 11:49

Attack The Block. A great film, I really enjoyed it.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jan 30 2017 16:58

That is a great little alien invasion film. I love that the setting was an estate.

Fleur
Jan 30 2017 18:30
Quote:
I love that the setting was an estate.

Well, it's not there anymore. It was bulldozed and gentrified.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-6bdc-Studio-flat-on-ex-council-estate-site-going-for-500k#.WI-FqLYrJsP

cactus9
Feb 4 2017 21:12

Cameraperson - mindblowingly good art film/ documentary by a documentary cameraperson incorporating some of her favourite footage from different projects. Makes you think hard about the role of the documentary filmmaker and the nature of the human species. Some of the best moments are the informal moments during shooting that would never make it into a finished film.

Nick and Norah's infinite playlist - good indie film/ superior romcom with the guy out of Juno in.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Feb 4 2017 22:35
Quote:
Nick and Norah's infinite playlist - good indie film/ superior romcom with the guy out of Juno in.

I absolutely hated that movie (and I've got nothing against Michael Cera). I felt like I was watching a hipster's wet dream or something.

cactus9
Feb 5 2017 12:44
Khawaga wrote:
Quote:

I absolutely hated that movie (and I've got nothing against Michael Cera). I felt like I was watching a hipster's wet dream or something.

Well, I liked it for what it was. It cost me £1.50 in the charity shop and was a nice Saturday night film.

cactus9
Feb 5 2017 13:39

Transamerica. Another charity shop buy. Touching story of a transsexual woman who goes on a road trip with her son. Would have been nice if it had a transsexual lead but it's a nuanced and enjoyable watch.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Feb 5 2017 17:10

Oh, don't get me wrong. Glad you liked the movie; to each their own etc. A lot of ppl are horrified at the amount of reality TV I watch wink

cactus9
Feb 5 2017 17:11

My Darling Clementine. The first western I have ever watched. It was quite good. I think you have to kind of tune in to a genre though. I still wasn't sure who a lot of the characters were by the end.

cactus9
Feb 10 2017 22:29

The Shining. Very fucking scary film. Also I have seen it before but this time I took it to be all about male violence against women and children and this was a very satisfying interpretation of it.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Feb 11 2017 11:32

The Japanese, ‘Our Little Sister’ (2015), a gem of a film.
As a critic wrote, ‘full of quiet joy and simple pleasures’.

cactus9
Feb 13 2017 18:53

Black Swan. I watched half of it, anyway. That was enough.

20th Century Women. It was ok. The feminism stuff was pretty cool, took me back to when I was 18 and people told me all that stuff. But those kind of Hollywood Indie films leave me a little bit cold and make me wish I was watching a proper indie film.

cactus9
Feb 13 2017 21:12

Singing in the rain. What a lovely film, made me smile all the way through.

Agent of the Proletariat's picture
Agent of the Pr...
Feb 14 2017 15:11

Batman v Superman is noteworthy for just how bad it was.

Agent of the Proletariat's picture
Agent of the Pr...
Feb 14 2017 15:14
cactus9 wrote:
The Shining. Very fucking scary film. Also I have seen it before but this time I took it to be all about male violence against women and children and this was a very satisfying interpretation of it.

The Shining is a visually interesting film but I don't think it's scary at all, and therefore fails as a horror film.

x359594's picture
x359594
Feb 21 2017 03:59

Alfred Hitchcock's Saboteur (1942.) An aircraft worker is wrongly accused of sabotage and has to clear himself while being hunted by the FBI. He discovers that the 5th columnists are either wealthy individuals or small shopkeepers. In his effort to clear himself he's helped by other working people and marginalized folks (a blind man, freaks from a carnival freak show). Much good anti-police and anti-fascist propaganda in the dialogue.

cactus9
Feb 18 2017 21:45

Meet me in St Louis. Slightly pedestrian musical romance completely lifted by Judy Garland. What an amazing performer and actress she was.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Feb 19 2017 17:50

Captain Fantastic. Really enjoyed it.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Feb 19 2017 23:32

Netflix recommended me the film Allende, about the overthrow of Salvador Allende. It was pretty interesting, it handles the building tension and keeps interest despite most of the film being a bunch of men in suits moving around the presidential police, trying to get men in uniforms to answer the phone, occasionally firing AK's from open windows while they wait.

Politically it was surprising, the film is completely sympathetic to Allende, its a little grating how hero worshipped he is, but it makes sense given that he was surrounded by people so loyal to him they were willing to die for him. They also acknowledge that one of the main reasons for his downfall was his disarming of the Chilean workers and trusting in other generals, particularly Pinochet to guard against a potential coup by other generals.

Also in one scene Allende gives credit to the anarchist Juan de Marchi for much of his political development.

potrokin
Feb 20 2017 19:40
Serge Forward wrote:

I watched that last night. A brilliant, beautiful and funny film, it was great. Hard to pick a favourite part of the film but the Noam Chomsky quote at the end was awesome.

jura's picture
jura
Feb 20 2017 14:35

Watched In Dubious Battle. Always nice to see a film about a strike, and this one even mentions the IWW, but story-wise and generally film-wise it was very disappointing. Like something on Hallmark on a Saturday afternoon.

sabot's picture
sabot
Feb 20 2017 16:19
jura wrote:
Watched In Dubious Battle. Always nice to see a film about a strike, and this one even mentions the IWW, but story-wise and generally film-wise it was very disappointing. Like something on Hallmark on a Saturday afternoon.

Was afraid of this :-/

cactus9
Feb 20 2017 17:28

Clerks - what a great film. Gripping, hilarious, visually stunning. Love it. The benchmark against which all indie films should be measured.

The Grifters - never seen this before, really enjoyed it. A great eighties film. Trancended the crime/ heist genre to be a great study of character.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Feb 21 2017 13:34
potrokin wrote:
Serge Forward wrote:

I watched that last night. A brilliant, beautiful and funny film, it was great. Hard to pick a favourite part of the film but the Noam Chomsky quote at the end was awesome.

And a happy Noam Chomsky day to you too! Easily my favourite film over the last 12 months.