1101 posts / 0 new
Last post
Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Dec 30 2011 18:58

Hobo With a Shotgun (great)
Contagion (also great)
The Hangover Pt. 2 (horribly shite)

Then a few I can't even remember because they were that forgettable.

dohball
Dec 30 2011 23:35

i saw contagion b4 - it was like big authoritarian public health announcement that went on for about 1 half hours. brief mild peverse satisfaction to see gywthnth paltrow on autopsy table.

uh just watched dolly partons smoky mountain christmas - well the lady can do no wrong (ok the vid on the bridge doesn't pass even my special slack quality control for dolly) & the sound of music as i was instructed that it is critical christmas viewing - and yet i had never seen it
it reminded me of the chalet school books. i thought musicals were supposed to have lots of songs in them but there they sang the same 4 songs like 20 times.

now i am steeling myself to watch the hunger by steve mqueen - supposed to be beautifully shot but harrowing.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Dec 31 2011 04:30

I watched The Day The World Stood Still recently. Fucking shite. utter trite.

bastarx
Dec 31 2011 05:28

Machete - ok B-movie, Jessica Alba's cop to revolutionary turn was unconvincing.

The Road - was rather unmoved by its renowned blackness, does that make me heartless? I suppose it's a nice change from all the zombie films which make the apocalypse seem kind of fun. Sort of happy ending was lame. So was the human farm, why not just eat the food yourselves?

TT3D - this is great even if, like me, you're not into motorbikes.

Rise of the planet of the apes - awesome, best Hollywood movie I've seen in years.

slothjabber
Jan 1 2012 00:45

A suposedly comic cod-medieval-sword and sorcery crap-fest called 'Your Highness'. It was utterly utterly shit (looked OK, but the script was awful).

sabot's picture
sabot
Jan 1 2012 01:42

The Adventures of Tintin: Speilberg hasn't made anything good since Saving Private Ryan. That's right, you hear me. U-S-A !! U-S-A!!

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jan 7 2012 20:35

Real Steel. Robot boxing is a pretty sweet concept, but it was a shite movie and your typcail feel-good father gets to know son he abandoned crap.

Melancholy of Resistance's picture
Melancholy of R...
Jan 7 2012 21:19

Girl with Dragon tattoo the us version. Don't care for thrillers and this was no exception. Quite nasty.

jura's picture
jura
Jan 7 2012 22:38

I really liked Another Earth.

batswill
Jan 7 2012 23:12

'Charlie Brown' the closet anarchist does his 'taking of the law into his autonomous hands' very nicely in his neighbourhood. A truly inspiring movie which has one realising that the police are mere 'cleaners uppers', that true justice must come from those enduring the injustice, (or their friends), and that social equilibrium only comes about through direct face to face discussion and not through organised institutional process.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Jan 8 2012 16:47

This is England, and all of the 86 series. I love Shane Meadows 4eva.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jan 8 2012 18:20

Watched Drive last night. Good stuff. Nicolas Windig Refn never disappoint.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Jan 8 2012 20:24

Except Valhalla Rising. What on earth was that about?

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jan 8 2012 20:51

Ah, I've not seen that one yet. My main experience is his Danish output.

Melancholy of R...
Jan 8 2012 21:46

Another reason I disliked 'The Girl w/..." was that the punky girl getting it on w/ the middle-aged, bespectacled intellectual reminded me of some topics here about SWP and other 'rev parties' cadre taking advantage of newbies to the cause. That book must obviously have been written by a middle-aged, bespectacled intellectual male...

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Jan 8 2012 22:02
Melancholy of Resistance wrote:
Another reason I disliked 'The Girl w/..." was that the punky girl getting it on w/ the middle-aged, bespectacled intellectual reminded me of some topics here about SWP and other 'rev parties' cadre taking advantage of newbies to the cause. That book must obviously have been written by a middle-aged, bespectacled intellectual male...

The author was as you might know a trot. He gave military training to some guerilla in africa when he was younger.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Jan 8 2012 22:43
batswill wrote:
'Charlie Brown' the closet anarchist does his 'taking of the law into his autonomous hands' very nicely in his neighbourhood. A truly inspiring movie which has one realising that the police are mere 'cleaners uppers', that true justice must come from those enduring the injustice, (or their friends), and that social equilibrium only comes about through direct face to face discussion and not through organised institutional process.

Charlie Brown?

Watched these recently; Tyrannosaur which defintely touched a nerve with me - pretty powerful stuff. Very much in the vein of My Name is Joe, although slightly darker/heavier subject matter. We need to talk about Kevin, which I thought was nonsense and probably reflects undertones in m/c sensebilities rather than anything else. And finally, Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy which was a decent stylish thriller, though it was not as good as I was led to believe.

dohball
Jan 8 2012 22:57

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/08/nick-cohen-stieg-larsson?INTCMP=SRCH

someone sent this article to my g/f's facebook about stieg larsson....haven't seen the film or read the book myself

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jan 8 2012 23:01

Watched Hobo with a Shotgun two days ago for the second time.

One of my most favorite movies of all time, I can hardly find anything I could criticize and that's not happening that often...

Though, there IS one thing. Not enough The Plague.

I really hope those guys get their own movie...

action_now
Jan 8 2012 23:04

saw elephants for water. was really good, i recommend it.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Jan 8 2012 23:28
dohball wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/08/nick-cohen-stieg-larsson?INTCMP=SRCH

someone sent this article to my g/f's facebook about stieg larsson....haven't seen the film or read the book myself

Fuckin hell they've relied on someone from Axess for the Swedish insights.... thats like asking someone from the Rand Corporation to review Chomsky. Totally absurd.

comment is free wrote:
He includes every variety of male violence against women, except the violence inspired by religious and cultural misogyny.

Wtf! I mean the guy was a trot with dubious politics but making it out as if him omitting islamic violence is somehow a sign of him supporting it is extraordinary. Quite a win for Axess to get this rubbish published.

It is comment is free though but they guy works for the Observer.

dohball
Jan 8 2012 23:34

just to say i haven't even read the article, okay... just posted it on cos it might be interesting for people who watched the film..

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 9 2012 00:43
Choccy wrote:
The first of the recent Sherlock Holmes films - good laugh

NOOOOOOO!!!!11!! Speaking as a Conan-Doyle fan, that film is a fucking travesty - Sherlock Holmes Lite for thick twats who can't watch a flick without explosions and special effects.

wojtek wrote:

The Big Lebowski - a great (stoner?) film and almost as good as Freddy got Fingered.

The Big Lebowski is the best film ever... but... um... that's like just my opinion... man. Freddy got fingered is utter shite - though my kids seem to like it.

Cooked wrote:
Melancholy of Resistance wrote:

The author was as you might know a trot. He gave military training to some guerilla in africa when he was younger.

Haven't seen the films yet but I quite liked the books. But as I'm a bespectacled middle-aged half arsed intellectual, then I would say that. Anyway, I noticed they were flogging all three films in HMV or WH Smiffs - would these be the Swedish TV versions or the American flick? Should I bother either way or just stick with the books?

wojtek
Jan 9 2012 01:19
Quote:
Freddy got fingered is utter shite - though my kids seem to like it.

I DIDN'T FIGHT IN NARM FOR THIS MAN, YOU'RE ENTERING A WORLD OF PAIN!!!!

Do you watch Sherlock the tv programme... it's amazing!

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 9 2012 01:27
wojtek wrote:
YOU'RE ENTERING A WORLD OF PAIN!!!!

Yeah? Well I'm calmer than you are.

Nope. Haven't seen the Sherlock programme. Is that the 21st century version? If so, instead of cocaine and opium, is our Sherlock a crack head?

petey
Jan 9 2012 01:32
action_now wrote:
saw elephants for water. was really good

so i'd heard, thanks for reminding, it's back on the to-see list

wojtek
Jan 9 2012 01:48
Quote:
is our Sherlock a crack head?

if by crack head you mean emotionally void, uber genius virgin then YES

Quote:
Quote:
wojtek wrote:
YOU'RE ENTERING A WORLD OF PAIN!!!!

Yeah? Well I'm calmer than you are.

Hey! You take my line I take you're rug!

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 9 2012 08:41

You pissed on my fucking rug cry

Melancholy of R...
Jan 9 2012 09:15

Actually I didn't know he was an old Trot! (and I'm a soon to be middle-aged, already bespectacled, some would call intellectual)

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jan 14 2012 00:40

Martyrs

This is the second movie from "The New French Extremity" (after Haute Tension) that I have now watched and loved instantly. Looks like I have to get more of this stuff.

The movie itself blew my mind. Several times. I think the professional term for that is "mind fuck".

There are twists, and I really mean twists, not some half-assed predictable stuff, that will make you go "what the hell just happened" and "no fucking way" left, right and center. In the end, the whole plot falls into place but at the very beginning you're only fed tiny shreds that will leave you wondering whether what's happening is real or just some kind of nightmare flashbacks.

All the while, the movie is unbearably hard to watch, and I say that as a horror nut. The whole thing just makes you uneasy, and the sheer incredibility (in the most literal sense) of the physical and psychological torture coupled with the great acting and outstanding make-up really made an impression on me, though I am sure there are "worse" movies in that regard (I've yet to see one of those though)

Recommended to all fans of horror that love plot twists. 9/10