What was the last film you watched? v3

1101 posts / 0 new
Last post
x359594's picture
x359594
Jan 14 2012 02:08

Weekend (1967) Godard's transitional film from nouvelle vague to Maoism. The satire/critique of consumer capitalism is a trenchant and funny as ever, and it was a treat to see it on the big screen.

Ya_Pasta
Jan 14 2012 02:52

Shame unbelievably loathsome main character, tons of non-erotic sex, and yet still quite a good flick

Harrison
Jan 14 2012 23:42

Silent Running (1972)

It's about a bloke aboard a space craft that, after earth has been irradiated by nuclear war, contains the last living forest. Then he receives the order from US command to destroy the forest so the ship can be reused for commercial purposes, and goes all eco-vigilante.

The lead comes across a bit like the unabomber, but despite that it's still a good concept and film. Sort of like Moon (2009), but not quite as good. Moon (which took a lot of cues from Silent Running) is more relevant to wage labour, profit and alienation, while Silent Running is about eco stuff.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jan 14 2012 23:53

I think I'll try to get hold of a copy of Silent Running. I loved Moon so would be interesting to watch one of the infleuces. Sort of how like La Jetee influences 12 Monkeys, though in this case La Jetee is better.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jan 15 2012 00:57

Contagion

Meh (aka bland) movie, the star actors were totally superfluous. Not fatalist enough for my taste. Have seen few films as banal as this one.

Paranormal Activity 3

First two were definitely better, this one mainly recycled the tried-and-true shock formulas like banging doors, footsteps and moving stuff. Didn't really tie into the other two as much as I hoped. Did not live up to the hype.

-----

Considering those two scored pretty high with critics, I think I'm just not mainstream enough to get them.

Melancholy of Resistance's picture
Melancholy of R...
Jan 15 2012 01:24

Martyrs haunts me to this day...

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Jan 15 2012 08:12

@ Harrison considering that was directed by the special effect fella on 2001, it's not a bad film. It does look like a product of its time which makes it novel. Moon is miles better though, yeah.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Jan 15 2012 08:28

I just saw Kafka, sooo good.

Harrison
Jan 15 2012 13:15

I'm looking forward to whatever Duncan Jones is directing next... Source Code was pretty good, although i preferred Moon. Also Silent Running is one of the best film names ever.

Is Logan's Run any good?

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Jan 15 2012 13:49

He said it's going to be like Blade Runner but set in Berlin. So that'll be AMAZING then. I haven't seen that yet actually but the remake looks like it'll be good. Refn directing and Gosling to swoon at.

I just saw 400 Blows by Truffant which was charming.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jan 15 2012 14:47

Hostel
Hobo With A Shotgun

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 15 2012 18:54
petey wrote:
i know it as 'Diabolique'? anyway the detective is surely the model for colombo. (it's on my libcom profile under 'favorite films'.)

Might be the release name in the US also the file name on KG wink

Inbetweeners - not bad but not as good as the TV show
Limitless - a bit anti-climactic and silly but generally fun
Midnight in Paris - absolutely shit, if Woody Allen was ever funny he certainly isn't now.I actually started this sentence with 'Absolute shit' before realising I was repeating myself but I still think it stands.

dohball
Jan 15 2012 23:34

So i did watch Hunger by steve mqueen. i think its one of the most amazing films i've seen. i had reservations because he was a war artist for the british state but for whatever, doubtless complex, reasons this hasn't limited his ability to make an indictment of its violence during the 'troubles'.

the bobby sands tribute site has it up as a recommended watch.
a few thoughts
*clear your evening because the violence is depicted in a very visceral and upsetting way. the film remains in my mind even a few days after watching
*some of his shot composition/cinematography/placement of sound is so fucking amazing & he really uses it and the layout of the film to show the relentless routine of prison life
* i feared a descent into sentimentality at one or two points later in the film but it just remains really poignant

could write more, but i definetly recommnd it.

(btw source code, sorry but dat was cheesily boring, you were guessing what was gonna happen nxt before it happened cos its happened a million times before)

re silent running - dark star is a classic losing it/not losing it on board a spaceship movie i'd also recommnd

Harrison
Jan 16 2012 04:33
flaneur wrote:
He said it's going to be like Blade Runner but set in Berlin. So that'll be AMAZING then. I haven't seen that yet actually but the remake looks like it'll be good. Refn directing and Gosling to swoon at.

I just saw 400 Blows by Truffant which was charming.

sounds fantastic

400 Blows is also good from what i've heard

dohball wrote:
(btw source code, sorry but dat was cheesily boring, you were guessing what was gonna happen nxt before it happened cos its happened a million times before)

re silent running - dark star is a classic losing it/not losing it on board a spaceship movie i'd also recommnd

Still quite liked Source Code! Also Dark Star is great - hippies in space. Especially the bit where he teaches the bomb phenomenology.

Melancholy of R...
Jan 16 2012 09:10

Thanks Railyon for recommending Hobo with a Shotgun. That was much, much better than I expected!

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 16 2012 09:21

I watched Ace Ventura Pet Detective yesterday wi' youngest breadsnapper. I'm working on a critique but will hold fire until I've seen the second film.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jan 16 2012 11:12
Melancholy of Resistance wrote:
Thanks Railyon for recommending Hobo with a Shotgun. That was much, much better than I expected!

Same here! I thought it was gonna be another throw-away trash movie but it really raises the bar for b-movies (and turned out to be a minor milestone of the genre in my opinion). Really loved the enthusiasm of the crew, actors and film makers alike (clips of behind-the-scenes stuff is only on the blu-ray I think).

Yesterday I watched Captain America.

Politically a pretty appalling film, makes for good vegging out material though...

Melancholy of R...
Jan 16 2012 11:23

If you liked Hobo w/ a Shotgun then you will likely appreciate the latest batch of Japanese exploitation flicks. Out of these I recommend Helldriver as it's wildly imaginative like Hobo. Machine Girl is okay too as well as Tokyo Gore Police.

jura's picture
jura
Jan 16 2012 11:26
Choccy wrote:
Hostel

sad

wojtek
Jan 16 2012 16:11

I watched all seven series of Trailer Park Boys over the space of three days, it's the best tv series I've ever seen knowwhatimsayin BAAAAM!!

Btw Serge, have you seen this? smile

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 16 2012 17:14

Ace. Will send that to Little Serge up in Manchester... he'll appreciate it as he's a right little urban achiever grin

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jan 16 2012 17:29
Melancholy of Resistance wrote:
If you liked Hobo w/ a Shotgun then you will likely appreciate the latest batch of Japanese exploitation flicks. Out of these I recommend Helldriver as it's wildly imaginative like Hobo. Machine Girl is okay too as well as Tokyo Gore Police.

I heard of them before but I never had the chance to watch em.

Incidentally, I have Tokyo Gore Police on my HDD. Will watch it this weekend.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jan 20 2012 23:35

In Time

Interesting movie from an anti-capitalist perspective; the movie itself was your average worn-out drama set in a pop dystopia (way too clean, too neat).

Gotta love the FULL COMMUNISM ending though.

Same pet peeve as with The Road however, not enough background information. Makes the movies feel ripped out of context.

wojtek
Jan 25 2012 00:05
Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jan 25 2012 00:14

Super 8

Brilliant move - until the end. Which kinda sucked, too abrupt and without a feeling of closure. In short, ending felt rushed.

Everything before that was high class stuff though... I liked that there were no ubermenschen in this one, just a bunch of kids doing their thing. For kid actors, I found the acting of the main cast to be exceptional, looking forward to what their future holds.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 27 2012 06:28
wojtek wrote:
I watched all seven series of Trailer Park Boys over the space of three days, it's the best tv series I've ever seen knowwhatimsayin BAAAAM!!

Btw Serge, have you seen this? :)

There are also two films and at least two short films.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Jan 27 2012 16:43
wojtek wrote:

Btw Serge, have you seen this? :)

I just watched all seven seasons recently, including the movies and christmas special (which was tight). Quite a good show, the first 5 seasons are so goddamn funny, seasons 6 and 7 are take or leave imo.

Yesterday I saw Strangers in Paradise. Jam Jarmusch is quite good.

wojtek
Jan 27 2012 17:01

Yeah, I've seen Countdown to Liquor Day which was brilliant (I was so made up for Bubbles at the end smile), The Big Dirty which was a'ight and also the Christmas Special. Have you seen the pilot movie? I can't bring myself to watch it since it's in black and white...

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Jan 27 2012 17:09
Soapy wrote:

Yesterday I saw Strangers in Paradise. Jam Jarmusch is quite good.

I saw that last week as well. He hasnae made a bad film I don't think. The lass playing Screaming Jay Hawkins whilst walking down the street is cool as fuck.

Today I watched Shane and Neds.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jan 27 2012 23:25

The Call of Cthulhu (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478988/)

Pleasant surprise of a movie, the crew certainly knew what they were doing, felt like a movie straight out of the 20s.

The Big Lebowski

Underwhelmed. Overall a mediocre movie with some funny parts strewn in.
Will never look at Nihilists the same ever again though...